Why do journalists refer to us as light blues ?

Our Founders were only teenagers when they formed Rangers.They were of slender build but had managed to master the art of moving the ball quickly between themselves,they were affectionately known as “ the light and speedy”through time that changed to “the light blues” a tag which stuck.

You are correct, our jersey has always been royal blue.

Last edited:
Our Founders were only teenagers when they formed Rangers.They were of slender build but had managed to master the art of moving the ball quickly between themselves,they were affectionately known as “ the light and speedie” through time that changed to “the light blues” a tag which stuck.

Ah, hadn't heard that before.

Our Founders were only teenagers when they formed Rangers.They were of slender build but had managed to master the art of moving the ball quickly between themselves,they were affectionately known as “ the light and speedie” through time that changed to “the light blues” a tag which stuck.

This is mentioned on the gallant pioneers book iirc

When up and running again those who haven't been, should get themselves on the tremendous founders trail and these and many more questions will be answered for them.

Nowadays of course, the sports media up here would be extremely reluctant to call us “Royal” blues, since the majority have a deep seated hatred for anything British.

As previously stated in post 8, that’s the correct answer.
Past history doesn’t really count nowadays in the media, if they could get away with it, we would be getting called sevcoooooo

Both Man CIty & Coventry are what I would call pale blue. COventry get called sky blues not heard of man city referred to by their colours.

For those of you watching in black and white, Rangers are in the royal blue jerseys.

As above. Our strip colour is and always has been royal blue. Light blue is the likes of Man City.
I used to think this but Man City are sky blues. I think Chelsea get called royal blues so you would think we would too. It’s probably to do with some anti British bigotry ‍♂️

Correct answer. Light and speedie blues. Nothing to do with shirt colour. Confused me when I was a kid until I heard the reason.

The word "light" had nothing to do with colour it was to do with the build of the Rangers players who were in the team in the early days of organised football in Scotland. As others have said "Light and Speedy"

On a related point, officially the colour of blue on the Union Flag is Royal Blue. The St Andrews flag is officially a much lighter shade, known as Saltire Blue.

I thought that the answer was going to be because their editors don't like them calling us Rangers. :))

Reserve team were called ‘swifts’ if I recall correctly.

Nowadays calling us Rangers sticks in journalists throats.

Light of foot you might say.It came up in a tread a few weeks back and was news to me as i always wondered about the phrase myself considering we play in Royal Blue .
Follow Follow fountain of knowledge :)

Some very old newspaper cuttings such as the following have been posted on here before:

6-DB4-FE81-223-D-4-FB4-AFC3-63433-E0-F0-A2-B.jpg

Our Founders were only teenagers when they formed Rangers.They were of slender build but had managed to master the art of moving the ball quickly between themselves,they were affectionately known as “ the light and speedy”through time that changed to “the light blues” a tag which stuck.

This is my understanding of how the term relates to us .

Being a Vale man I was always been led to believe the term describing us as the light blues was to distinguish us from Vale of Leven who play in a dark blue.

Being a Vale man I was always been led to believe the term describing us as the light blues was to distinguish us from Vale of Leven who play in a dark blue.

The 'Light & Speedy' first came to the fore after our epic matches against Vale of Leven for the 1877 Scottish Cup.
It was a reference to their style of play and slender build. In fact this match was definitely a game of Men V Boys.

By the 1880's it evolved into the 'Speedy Blues' and the 'Light Blues'

This article from 1884 has both 'Light and Speedy' and @Light Blues' in it.

As for shirt colour, we have never wore a light blue jersey. The colour has always been Royal Blue.
the below is from the 1875 members card which has the club colours mentioned.

No offence intended to the OP but it,always surprises me how little of the history of the club people don’t seem to know.

Back