Why do our players not shoot from outside box

Kent, Hagi and Arfield are usually willing to take on a shot - the problem comes from the deeper players. Jack, Kamara + Davis will all typically take another pass than go for a shot, even when it's side to side across the box. To be fair to them, that's not their game, the problem is playing lots of those players at once and not having anyone in the engine room who has more drive & dig

Davis , Kamara and Jack are awful for passing the ball to the side rather than having a shot.
I get what you’re saying and I was frustrated too, but today we had a lot of players in the box when they were in those positions. If it had bounced off the first defender and they charged out, we’d have been short at the back. I’d rather see the likes of Kent and Hagi mixing it up with snap shots.

Kent, Hagi and Arfield are usually willing to take on a shot - the problem comes from the deeper players. Jack, Kamara + Davis will all typically take another pass than go for a shot, even when it's side to side across the box. To be fair to them, that's not their game, the problem is playing lots of those players at once and not having anyone in the engine room who has more drive & dig
100%agree I like kamara intelligent footballer but he needs to just take the shot on now and again to mix it up

Kamara found himself on the edge of the box several times and he squared it every time ffs have a shot put your foot through it, Gerrard should be taking him aside and show him how to do it.

Kamara found himself on the edge of the box several times and he squared it every time ffs have a shot put your foot through it, Gerrard should be taking him aside and show him how to do it.
That says to me that he doesn’t have enough game awareness to see the opportunity. Or it’s being lazy and just doing what he’s always does. Either way it is unacceptable.

We don't play in a manner that creates many opportunities for shooting from outside the box.

We make endless passes along a line roughly 25 yards out, but all these passes are crisp, direct passes which don't give the receiver any opportunity to shoot unless the shot results from a first touch to set up a shooting opportunity. Unfortunately, that first touch usually gives the defence time to close down the shooting opportunity.

Roll the ball towards the receiver with the deliberate intention of giving him a shooting chance, and then you'll see some shots going in.

seems a bit like warburton, pass the ball to death etc

is it a lack of a good striker of the ball from outside the box?

are we practicing long shots in training enough?

are we actively being told not to shoot from long range (can't see it)

Last edited:
I agree with the OP. How often do we see penalties awarded nowadays for handball when shots are blocked by arms. In years past these would have been ignored as accidental - the old phrase ’The ball played him’ no longer applies. Now they are penalised automatically. European and World Cup finals have been won in the past two years by such decisions. When SG was a player he was never shy of shooting from long range.

Our midfielders don't even fake a shot, commit a back turned defender and slip it through his legs for an onrushing Alfie to finish. Sideways.

They do.

Both Hagi and Kent had a pop. Hagi in particular forced a decent save.

It’s this. We do try, we’re just not very good at it.

At the same time I do think we over complicate it when we get in and around the penalty box.

There were two or three incidences of this on Sunday where we were cleverer than we needed to be and took one pass too many.

I think this is a product of how they’re being coached on the training pitch.

It looks great when it works, e.g. Arfield’s goal, but is it really that effective when we keep dropping points in games we should be winning?

seems a bit like warburton, pass the ball to death etc

is it a lack of a good striker of the ball from outside the box?

are we practicing long shots in training enough?

are we actively being told not to shoot from long range (can't see it(
We have plenty who can strike a ball Kent Hagi and Arfield are more than capable of it Davis done it in his first spell but doesn't now Jack went through a spell last season of shooting from outside the box then packed it in and Kamara has very rarely shot from outside the box they should be incouraged to take shots more especially if the game isn't going completely our way

Davis , Kamara and Jack are awful for passing the ball to the side rather than having a shot.
Constantly find myself shouting at Davis to shoot,he gets into fantastic positions then more often than not passes it to the side frustrating as fck

I pointed it out on the match thread that both Davis and Kamara bricked it when it came to shooting and noticed Barasic and Hagi have words to them for not hitting it.

Also the daft extra pass between Davis and Kamara instead of out to the wide players was a joke at Hibs. The amount of times Barasic, Tav, Kent, Hagi, Arfield and Alfie where open to get the pass right away and that extra pass was played and they became marked again was annoying as hell.

Exactly and Gary mac was a great striker of a ball so surely between him and gerrard they could do some 1on 1 shooting drills

All our player should be confident enough to have a go from anywhere on the pitch. Not enough of them do.Why? Fear of making a roger of the shot. maybe. C'mon Gers shoot on sight. Remember Bert Konterman

Kent is no1 in shots in the league, hagi can’t be to far behind considering how much he loves a pop at goal. It’s players like Davis and Kamara that don’t really shoot but other than that most players in our team will have a pop if there’s space in front of them to shoot.

Kent is no1 in shots in the league, hagi can’t be to far behind considering how much he loves a pop at goal. It’s players like Davis and Kamara that don’t really shoot but other than that most players in our team will have a pop if there’s space in front of them to shoot.

I think they do try but we seem to want to take an extra touch inside and outside the box.

There are a lots of reasons, probably:

1. We play with 11 men in front of us, creating crowded areas in front of us that make it impossible for spaces to come up. It's not simply a case of getting close to goal and having a shot.
2. Generally, across football there is a lower than expected ratio of goals scored from outside the box
3. We're simply no good at shooting
4. Players shirk responsibility, don't want to be the ones to lose the ball and have to deal with the outrage from fans (less pressing now, of course)

Constantly find myself shouting at Davis to shoot,he gets into fantastic positions then more often than not passes it to the side frustrating as fck
They all do it and our 3 midfielders have a shocking goal return. They all have decent digs on them so I guess they are told not to shoot by management.

I pointed it out on the match thread that both Davis and Kamara bricked it when it came to shooting and noticed Barasic and Hagi have words to them for not hitting it.

Also the daft extra pass between Davis and Kamara instead of out to the wide players was a joke at Hibs. The amount of times Barasic, Tav, Kent, Hagi, Arfield and Alfie where open to get the pass right away and that extra pass was played and they became marked again was annoying as hell.
The amount of times they delayed passes on sunday had me screaming at the telly.
The speed of play through our midfield is far too slow.

this even more reason to shoot from range ffs, there’s more chance of a ricochet in the box and it falling to someone if it’s blocked
JqmTICA.gif

We hit a lot of shots from outside the box in the first half of the Kilmarnock match and it seemed to work. Chasing down rebounds and it opened up space in the defence too.

Because they aren’t very good at it we don’t have an Albertz type player so why would we keep shooting and losing possession needlessly.

This is literally as simple as saying that a bunch of our players aren’t very good at long range shots so don’t hit them.

There have been threads on here for years criticising our shooting. Still not been addressed.

Kamara and Davis on the edge of the box are absolutely inept when it comes to this.
The mental thing is that I don’t recall them having many shots but when they do they score

The amount of times they delayed passes on sunday had me screaming at the telly.
The speed of play through our midfield is far too slow.

It’s so pedestrian and safe it’s unreal.

There zero need for the holding midfielders to be passing to each other before going wide. They need to bypass each other and get to the wide players when their actually open and unmarked.

To be fair mate, i kind of get where you are coming from regarding those 3 wanting another pass but come on, they are professional footballers who can strike a ball from 20/25 yards. Look at Davis against Porto last year, dont shoot, you dont score. These players or any player in or around the box should be shooting more. Anything can happen, be a deflection, falling to a striker to tuck away.

We play very few passes outside the box that invite a player to run on to the ball and strike it.
Mostly the ball is played to feet so the player has to wait on it, touch it to set it up and then hit it by which time he’ll gave been closed down.
The guys who get shots off are the ones like Hagi who can disguise the touch and can shoot on the turn.
Even last year using Jacks examples he wasn’t arriving and hitting hard long range shots, he was coming in from wider, took a touch to knock it away from the defender and then shaped the shots in at the far corner.

It would be interesting to see how many of our goals are scored from outside the box and how many shots we hit from that position. I wouldn't be surprised if it's higher than folk expect. I had a look at some stats for goals scored from outside the box in the EPL and from open play it was one scored for every 37 shots. And that's from a league where you have some genuinely world class players hiting the shots and against less packed defences than we face.

From when you're a boy and you're playing football, you always dream of the ball breaking to you at the edge of the box in every game you play.

It's soul destroying watching the likes of Kamara and Davis 25 yards out. You know nothing will come of it.

Back