Why Do Some Goalkeepers Try To Save Shots With 'The Wrong Hand'?

Disco Deejay

Watching the Germany v Sweden match earlier, I was surprised that none of the panel picked up on the keeper trying to save the winning shot with 'the wrong hand'.

The shot went to his left hand side, but he tried to save it with his right hand, which resulted in the ball being a few inches outwith his reach and cost a goal. If he had gone with his left hand, he should have easily reached the ball.

It's not really rocket science. If you stand against a wall and mark how far you can reach to the left with your left hand, it will be much further than you can reach with your right hand, so why would any top class professional goalkeeper go with 'the wrong hand', as many do?

used to be an amateur goalkeeper and I agree with you fully. My other annoying thing is why do so called top keepers dive before penalty kicks ? Come on you are supposed to be the best keepers in the game - stand up and react to the ball. If it's in the corner then well done to the penalty taker but if it's not you stand a good chance of saving it if you react to it instead of diving before the ball is kicked.

There is a reason for it, a wrong hand save tends to knock the ball to the side rather than to the front, less chance of a follow up finish (Harry Kane 1st v Tunisia).
A lot of the time these decisions have to be instinctive so muscle memory plays a big part in the choice of hand used.

Was going to say it's muscle memory as above.

The left right brain dominance as well plays a part.

It really is micro seconds.

There is a reason for it, a wrong hand save tends to knock the ball to the side rather than to the front, less chance of a follow up finish (Harry Kane 1st v Tunisia).
A lot of the time these decisions have to be instinctive so muscle memory plays a big part in the choice of hand used.
Trying a wrong hand save could result in a goal.

The reason is muscle memory. Your natural reaction is your top hand or right hand if you are right handed. A keeper had a fraction of a second to make his decision and sometimes its the wrong hand that comes first.

Keepers are humans not robots.

Why do players try take a shot coming from
The right with their right foot? Because it feels more natural to them.

Was it his wrong hand ? The ball went into the top corner and the closest part of his body was his right hand

The reason offered by goalkeeping coaches and modern goalkeepers is that it gives them more leverage for high shots. It looks unnatural but it actually gives them greater reach. Not muscle memory. Whether that holds water or not is up to the spectator.

Muscle memory is incredibly powerful.

Nobody can overcome it. I play the piano and pieces I've played for over 50 years are impossible to change. I stop half way through and I'm fucked and have to go back to the beginning. You cannot fight against it.

But that is a good point about extending your leverage that I'd not really considered.

The one that always springs to mind is big Ugos goal at Parkhead. Borat went for that with his right hand when it went to his left

I would also argue that you would instinctively prefer to have the arm below you (the “right hand”) prepared to break your fall.

A full dive with leading arm outstretched is a pretty unnatural movement and hard to do without injury.

The reason offered by goalkeeping coaches and modern goalkeepers is that it gives them more leverage for high shots. It looks unnatural but it actually gives them greater reach. Not muscle memory. Whether that holds water or not is up to the spectator.
I’m telling you right now its human instinct and muscle memory. It isn’t trained into you.

I’ve been training almost all my life, almost daily for the position, and everything you have spent your life learning goes out the window in that split second. Your body doesnt have the time to think about what you have learned, hence why so many goalkeepers do it.

Goalkeeper myself, when goalies dive they tend to try reach with the opposite arm as we consciously think we could reach further with the opposite arm which most of the time is true due to the diving technique these days.

Last edited:
I think they do it because you can actually stretch longer-higher using your other arm when diving not to the ground but in the air

Is the correct answer .....longer and higher

It was explained during a game can't remember when though

This

Have had this debate with my dad. Your 'top hand' can go much higher in a dive although of course not as far over. Makes sense to me

I watched an interview with goram saying he had to learnt it from a goalkeeping coach because you can reach higher using the right hand

Footballers can be as good as they want, they always only be human.

How often do see a player switch feet when it'd be easier to shoot with their "weaker" foot?

Some go with their strongest hand or if they are naturally right handed then instinctively they use that hand.

The "correct" hand is best for shots wide in to the corner. The "wrong"hand is better for those closer to the body that need pushed higher and further from goal.

I’m telling you right now its human instinct and muscle memory. It isn’t trained into you.

I’ve been training almost all my life, almost daily for the position, and everything you have spent your life learning goes out the window in that split second. Your body doesnt have the time to think about what you have learned, hence why so many goalkeepers do it.

Muscle memory is the very definition of having something trained into you!

The reason you’re trained constantly to do that is to give you the extra reach the “wrong” hand offers.

Instinct does take over, you’re right, but it’s on the basis that what you’ve been trained to remember is what your instinct becomes

I think it’s wrong to call it the wrong hand. He went with the hand his instincts told him would be the ball. He had a tiny amount of time to react to an incredible strike.

In other words, it isn't the wrong hand. On this one I think I'll trust the pros

When diving the body goes horizontal, so you’ll get a higher reach with the hand that came from the other side.

There are times when they definitely choose the ‘wrong’ hand though

I'm sure the keeper went to move the opposite way at first, he tried to adjust,imbalance trying to get to the shot, instinct probably to throw out the other arm.

Was never an issue for Steve Simonsen.He never saved anything

tbf he made an absolute outstanding save, think it was v Morton.

my issue with the second goal is actually his positioning, his wall should have been covering the near post, he takes a yard more to the left I think he saves it

That was my thought on it as well

Muscle memory is just voodoo under a different name:D

That was my thought on it as well

Muscle memory is just voodoo under a different name:D

Someone's about to take a dig at you with a clenched fist - muscle memory and instinct takes control. Your muscles remember pain.

It's not the wrong hand.

In other words, it isn't the wrong hand. On this one I think I'll trust the pros

If you watched the Belgium v England match, after the game the entire TV panel stated that Pickford "went with the wrong hand" (their exact words). One of them went as far as saying that he called a goal-keeping coach during the match and he confirmed that he had "gone with the wrong hand".

Back