Why do some teams become immortal?

Saltcoatsblu

I must admit to my shame, the author has got a point, have we really forgotten the exploits of the
75/76 & 77/78 treble winning sides?

Taken from the book Rangers' Treble Kings by Bob MacCallum

2dj84rr.jpg

25g6o0h.jpg

2l8kkye.jpg

2w2jui1.jpg

I haven’t read it, but if the suggestion is that that double treble winning squad is a forgotten one, I’d strongly dispute that.

Teams are lauded as immortal as they have demosntrated a degree of excellence that is seldom seen in the game. So, the ECWC winning side, that followed up that achievement with two trebles is very much considered immortal by me. Without doubt one of the finest Rangers sides I've ever had the pleasure to watch, if not the finest.

The NIAR side deserves to be right up there as an immortal side, as do the legendary 1899 100% league record side who won every single game in the top flight season, a quite remarkable achievement and never equalled to this day, over a century later. There will be others I've missed, but that's my age that has caused that. Older bears will help me here.

All these teams overcame massive competition and delivered increadible feats and achievements against the stiffest of oppostition.

This is also why that team of shite across the city are basically a shite side, humped 7 by Barca, 0-5 at home by PSG and beaten by pish like Lincoln Red Imps. Nothing immortal about that lot. Just the best of a truly shite uncompettive league, corrupted by bigotry and concerted hatred and attacks on us.

In the interests of balance, it has to be said that the scums EC winning side and their NIAR side also pass my qualification tests above

The 75/76 team got really unfair press coverage portraying them as just a big, strong, fit team who ground down their opponents while the celtic team of the time were the skilful team who played the better football. Guys like Sandy Jardine, Tommy Mclean & Bobby McKean complimented a solid spine of Forsyth, Jackson, MacDonald and DJ. Jock Wallace always played wingers and always played attacking football, but everyone wanted to talk about his teams being the fittest in the country.

In 77/78 there's no doubt the addition of Bobby Russell, Davie Cooper and Gordon Smith brought more flair into the team. That season is still one of my all-time favourites, there was a game we beat Aberdeen 6-1 at Ibrox in the League Cup that was a good as I've ever seen any Rangers team play.

Jock Wallace and his treble winning teams did not get half the praise from Scottish football that they deserved. However they have not been forgotten by myself and thousands of other Rangers supporters who had the privilege of seeming them play.

We have been fortunate to have successful throughout our history. I believe the team that you grew up with remains in your memory and is immortal in that respect. My team was the Ritchie, Shearer, Caldow version, my Dad’s was the Iron Curtain team and my grandfathers’ team was the early 20’s with Tommy Cairns, Alan Morton and the like. Such teams can be superseded by even better Rangers sides or individual players but your first successful team as you grew up are immortal IMO.

I do worry for some of the boys who have had recently endure, along with the rest of us, the football we have produced in the past 6 years or so. Not many heroes to think back to fondly as the young supporters of today grow older.

thats a great read i was a member of the townhead club and went to most of the games home and away during those treble years and that team had a never say die spirit and a lot more skillful than they were given credit for

The 75/76 team got really unfair press coverage portraying them as just a big, strong, fit team who ground down their opponents while the celtic team of the time were the skilful team who played the better football. Guys like Sandy Jardine, Tommy Mclean & Bobby McKean complimented a solid spine of Forsyth, Jackson, MacDonald and DJ. Jock Wallace always played wingers and always played attacking football, but everyone wanted to talk about his teams being the fittest in the country.

In 77/78 there's no doubt the addition of Bobby Russell, Davie Cooper and Gordon Smith brought more flair into the team. That season is still one of my all-time favourites, there was a game we beat Aberdeen 6-1 at Ibrox in the League Cup that was a good as I've ever seen any Rangers team play.

What you initilly Said reminds me of the 1995/96 season where they playe the better football bla bla bla. But in reality we won the league and said it all.

Jock Wallace and his treble winning teams did not get half the praise from Scottish football that they deserved. However they have not been forgotten by myself and thousands of other Rangers supporters who had the privilege of seeming them play.

We have been fortunate to have successful throughout our history. I believe the team that you grew up with remains in your memory and is immortal in that respect. My team was the Ritchie, Shearer, Caldow version, my Dad’s was the Iron Curtain team and my grandfathers’ team was the early 20’s with Tommy Cairns, Alan Morton and the like. Such teams can be superseded by even better Rangers sides or individual players but your first successful team as you grew up are immortal IMO.

I do worry for some of the boys who have had recently endure, along with the rest of us, the football we have produced in the past 6 years or so. Not many heroes to think back to fondly as the young supporters of today grow older.

I'm sure Billy McBungle was awarded Manager of the Year in 1978 when we won the Treble.

What you initilly Said reminds me of the 1995/96 season where they playe the better football bla bla bla. But in reality we won the league and said it all.
This was also around the time when Paul McStay was on Sportscene or Scotsport and spouting the Celtic line of all attack, wonderful attacking tactics etc. etc. I seem to remember him saying “Celtic don’t know how to defend”. Thankfully he was right : never a truer word was spoken and Rangers took full advantage.

Back