Why do we/you follow football?

I’ll be honest. I used to watch football any chance I could get. Italian, Spanish, international, any epl games that were on.
I would even go and watch the likes of Raith on a Saturday it we played on the Sunday.

After 2012, my interest in other football weaned a bit, for me it was about Rangers and Rangers only.
Then I wished nothing but the worst on most Scottish clubs. Didn’t need us they said. Wanted us dead. Laughed in our faces and booted us when we were at our lowest.
As the decade went on I grew less and less interested in the English game, purely because of the money and the fact it was vastly overhyped.
Now in 2021 literally all I care about football wise is my team. Couldn’t give 2 effs about anyone else club wise but still respect decent football men who have given their entire careers to the grass roots of the game

Last edited:
I understand the OP’s points however I am trying to transfer to the picture he painted of the Americans watching NFL. It should be enjoyable and social (excluding COVID times) and not such a panic.
I think the panic comes from a lot of fans wanting to stop 10 rather than win 55. If we don’t win the league then “they” do.
Been going to Ibrox for 33 years so it’s hard when not winning but that doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy watching Rangers

I wake up and wonder if there is any news about The Rangers.I check throughout the day for news from The Rangers.Scottish sports news comes on I wait for news about The Rangers.Before I go to sleep I’m on checking for anything about The Rangers.I’ve lived and breathed our club all my life.Without It I honestly would be lost.
Apart from my family Nothing else has ever come close to my devotion.I’m loyal to the club Any slight I take it personally I fight it’s corner when I have to and will never turn my back on it.I showed my ex wife less loyalty.Until I draw my last breath I will be a Ranger.I love The Rangers my club always have always will.

Grew up kicking a ball.Follow Follow was the song my dad sang to me when going to sleep in bed. Pestering my. Dad to take me to Ibrox when he did the game vs Red Star about 63-64 won 3-2. Hooked at that point everyone getting told it was my first match ,getting programmes ,rosettes and badges. Later played football for Cubs and scouts on Saturday morning. Went with friends to see Clydebank one week then next week bus Blairdardie to Patrick Merkland street subway then game. Now 65 and love Rangers more each day and hate them more each day. I have sat in same seats for over 30 years I have seen people come and go ,but most of us are still going about 15 of us I love the thrill ,depression the peaks the lows. The next pass the last tackle. The why did he not pass The pub with friends to laugh the funerals to cry. That’s why I love The Rangers.

Correction 64-65 year Vs Red Star won 3-1 at Ibrox. I just love all football if game on I will watch some games legs move as if to kick ball.

No idea. Often think its ridiculous getting so wound up about a game other people are playing. However I've been a Rangers fan for as long as I can remember. I've been going to Ibrox since I was so young that I dont even know when my first game was.

The highs, the lows, the high after the low. The debate, the camaraderie, the atmosphere, the emotions, the travel, the food, the feeling of belonging to something amazing and most of all the love of Rangers binds my dad, my lads and me in a way nothing else could! I love it.

When i got my first proper job back in Scotland after five years at sea, i had to study hard for three years. Nothing got in the way of studying and i vaguely recall thinking i was getting too old for this football malarkey and gave away a lot of my Rangers memorabilia. :confused:

After the three years was in Glasgow and went along to see us play Airdrie...match ended 0 - 0 and nothing stands out about the match apart from the fact that as soon as i walked into Ibrox, everything came back.

Was where i belonged.

Following Rangers , seen them firstly on scotsport on black and white telly that was me hooked for life ,I first seen the blue strip on a football annual I got for Xmas ,my dad was in the orange order but he didn’t go to Ibrox he was too busy digging coal and working on farm at weekends , I first went to a game not Ibrox but Motherwell ,Quinten Young scored a screamer and I got bit wi a polis dug getting out the ground many many memories iv got following home and away since then

My uncle gave me the Rangers/Leeds Battle of Britain VHS when I was about 5 and I’ve been hooked ever since. First time at Ibrox was for my Birthday a couple of years later and its one of the highlights of my life. What a day.

It's bred into me. Played from a very young age, Saturdays were football day usually on the radio where my dad had an old record player/radio with a big old set of headphones and was on that all day for football, football Italia every Sunday, allowed to stay up late to see Scotsport highlights. Had loads of strips from all over, obscure ones. Played every day after school until it was dark. Went to mostly Scotland games with my dad and Rangers with my uncle and cousin. Constantly refreshing the Teletext before the internet came along! It's a way of life here whereas in the USA teams are commodities to be renamed, moved location etc. It's all mixed crowds, kiss cams and t-shirt cannons. It's a diluted version of European sport.

my only passion is Rangers now, I'm not a fan of football at all anymore.

I was brought up on it. I used to watch pretty much every game on tv but now i only watch Rangers games.

my only passion is Rangers now, I'm not a fan of football at all anymore.

I know how you feel. Back last March when the first lockdown started and all football was stopped, I was gutted. How was I going to cope with no football, after a few weeks I realised I didn't really care there was no football other than there was no Rangers.

The football started back, I watched a few games but it felt very meh, then we started back and I was buzzing. Now I still watch other games but I find myself glued to Twitter the whole time and only look up when it sounds like something is happening.

Giving the choice I'd rather much watch the NFL over a random game of football, Rangers excluded of course.

I’ll be honest. I used to watch football any chance I could get. Italian, Spanish, international, any epl games that were on.
I would even go and watch the likes of Raith on a Saturday it we played on the Sunday.

After 2012, my interest in other football weaned a bit, for me it was about Rangers and Rangers only.
Then I wished nothing but the worst on most Scottish clubs. Didn’t need us they said. Wanted us dead. Laughed in our faces and booted us when we were at our lowest.
As the decade went on I grew less and less interested in the English game, purely because of the money and the fact it was vastly overhyped.
Now in 2021 literally all I care about football wise is my team. Couldn’t give 2 effs about anyone else club wise but still respect decent football men who have given their entire careers to the grass roots of the game

I feel the same. I'll watch all our games and keep an eye on the Celtic score for obvious reasons. Aside from that football is an ugly monopoly, countries and crooks running teams etc. I was glad Liverpool revived and stopped Man City winning the league.

I watched Ajax amazing champs league run with interest because they are a proper team. I looked forward to us playing Befica as they are another real team with real support. PSG, City, Chelsea etc leave me cold. The closed shop dictators legitimising themselves mentality turns me right off the big leagues.

As for Scottish football, rivalry and ribbing the opposition (smell the glove and all that patter) has turned to real hatred and bitterness from far too many. It's a corrupt league now. It really showed in 2012 and 2020 voting scandals showed that's it's still rife.

The sense of belonging and spending time with like minded folk.

Banter on the supporters bus, sinking pints in the stadium bar/Louden/Rolls Royce club.

Experiencing the highs/lows and enjoying going fùcking mental at games when I'd a shite day and was struggling.

I've a friend who grew up a Prod in a rural rebel area west of the Bann. He lived there until his family moved (were forced out) when he was in his teens. He tried to keep his head down and not take an interest in things that might have made him and his family an easy (literal) target - this was the late 70s, so no joking matter. So he never developed an interest in football enough to take up following when his family moved to Bangor.
He follows rugby :rolleyes:: Ireland (something I wouldn't dream of doing even if I liked that game) and Ulster (again not for me especially after their disgraceful flag stunt a few years ago, fùck them).
He's not particularly well off and neither was his family, so the rugger bugger 'big house Prod' snob stereotype doesn't apply to him. It was just an interest he had that helped keep his head below the parapet.
Saying that, he hates Republicans and has thoroughly enjoyed seeing the scum get beat in Old Firm games we've watched on TV in the past.

Have done all my life, but must admit in recent years I've defo questioned why I do it and thought about chucking it. The stress, disappointment and frustration of it just doesn't seem worth it at times. That said, trying is nigh on impossible once it's so ingrained in you to care about it so much all your life.

Of course when we're back winning titles, the joy of that outstrips anything else.

Christ knows how supporters of smaller clubs that never win anything or are relentlessly in relegation battles motivate themselves to keep going.

It's a family thing for me. My Granda is also a born and raised Geordie and fell in love with Rangers and he made me fall in love with them too.

I like that it's my "thing" as well, I can bump into people I haven't seen in years and they'll say "Do you still support Rangers".

I can't explain why 11 people I've never met from a City I live miles from can physically cause so must stress and joy though.

Have done all my life, but must admit in recent years I've defo questioned why I do it and thought about chucking it. The stress, disappointment and frustration of it just doesn't seem worth it at times. That said, trying is nigh on impossible once it's so ingrained in you to care about it so much all your life.

Of course when we're back winning titles, the joy of that outstrips anything else.

Christ knows how supporters of smaller clubs that never win anything or are relentlessly in relegation battles motivate themselves to keep going.
Could have posted that myself,There have been times when I have wished I had never seen a football in my life.

First of all this is meant to be light hearted and not seriously suggesting that I don't get any enjoyment from football, as obviously I do!

However the panic merchant thread got me thinking. It really is stressful following us, especially this season. You wonder if all sports fans are the same. I picture Americans watching NFL for example, sitting having a laugh, chicken wings and various other food and drink out.

Then i think of me ( and probably 90% of us) on Sunday watching our game. Pacing the living room floor, feeling sick, heart racing, sheer relief when we scored. Then as soon as the final whistle goes worrying about the Ross County game!

You do wonder how you end up taking it so seriously. If and when we do win it though it will make it all worthwhile.
Human beings naturally yearn for a club/community/gang/tribe/identity, especially men.

That's why it feels so visceral/important, because in our lizard brains, the success/power of our tribe still feels like life or death....because that's how it used to be through evolution.

Men also crave risk/competition/winning.

I know how you feel. Back last March when the first lockdown started and all football was stopped, I was gutted. How was I going to cope with no football, after a few weeks I realised I didn't really care there was no football other than there was no Rangers.

The football started back, I watched a few games but it felt very meh, then we started back and I was buzzing. Now I still watch other games but I find myself glued to Twitter the whole time and only look up when it sounds like something is happening.

Giving the choice I'd rather much watch the NFL over a random game of football, Rangers excluded of course.
I'm the same, spend more time on my phone than actually watching a game (out with us obv). Now I'm paying a sky sports subscription just for rangers away games

It’s a magical game first fell in love with the beautiful game when watching the Great Brazilian side of 1970. Then I started going to see Rangers and just loved the atmosphere the songs the supporters bus travelling all over the UK and later European games mob handed the terraces.I’m sounding like Ron Manager, jumpers for goal posts, but there really isn’t a team like the Glasgow Rangers, I feel privileged to support them through thick and thin.

It's in the old pictures, the memories and the friendships.
It's to absent friends, our colours, our songs and last minute winners.
It's to our battling qualities and remembering our tragedies.
It's to identity, to pride and protecting our heritage.
It's about all of this for me.
On Rangers On.

I feel like most people dont cho
First of all this is meant to be light hearted and not seriously suggesting that I don't get any enjoyment from football, as obviously I do!

However the panic merchant thread got me thinking. It really is stressful following us, especially this season. You wonder if all sports fans are the same. I picture Americans watching NFL for example, sitting having a laugh, chicken wings and various other food and drink out.

Then i think of me ( and probably 90% of us) on Sunday watching our game. Pacing the living room floor, feeling sick, heart racing, sheer relief when we scored. Then as soon as the final whistle goes worrying about the Ross County game!

You do wonder how you end up taking it so seriously. If and when we do win it though it will make it all worthwhile.
I feel like we dont choose it. It chooses us. Part of life. For me as important as any loved one around me which sounds ridiculous. Rangers is my da, or my brother, or my mrs, its my family, its me. Theres no me without rangers. Its my life. Allot of people on the outside would find that absolutely pathetic or just not understand it. But i didnt choose things to be this way. It just happened.

If I had known as a wee boy what I now know as an adult I would have kept well away from football. My earliest memories are of being taken to Ibrox and by the time I was 7 years old I was totally hooked on Rangers and in some ways by the game of football itself. During my lifetime I've had some massive 'highs' from the game but also a great deal of "lows". As far as the "stress" factor of following our club is concerned, it has got steadily worse as I have aged. I am absolutely fine when I am at our games supporting the team but I cannot bear to watch us playing any live game on the telly as I get completely wound up. On the very rare occasions that I do end up forcing myself to watch us on the box, my wife vacates the living room. My grandson takes only a passing interest in the game and is more into playing rugby. In many ways I envy him as he will not get stressed by the outcome of a game between two groups of people that he has never met in his life.

Last edited:
If your anything like me your born into it,my granny used to tell me when i was about 4 had an old burst bladder a must have found out the back of our tenements, kicking and shouting rangers we are the people, they stayed in the gorbals and my uncle took me to see Rangers v Clyde at Shawfield think it was about same time ,im 65 now and my girls all love the Rangers.
WATP

My dad took me to Ibrox from aged four, every second Saturday. It’s in the blood. Terrible affliction and after fifty six years of supporting it gets worse as you get older.
From birth, I was Rangers due to my dad.
I'm 61 now and things will never change. It's all about the Rangers.
Within 6 weeks #55 will be getting tattooed on me, somewhere, as its my 1st and probably last tat. NS WATP

My dad never really bothered about football, more of a bevvy merchant.
My mate who’s dad ran our local supporters bus, kind of a got me into it, my other two brothers never really into it, one writes books music and the others into IT.
Just playing football and the camaraderie from that aligned with following the Rangers sets you up for life.
Glad to say my son gets it and hopefully it will get passed on from him down the generations.

Back