Why do we/you follow football?

PT98

Official Ticketer
First of all this is meant to be light hearted and not seriously suggesting that I don't get any enjoyment from football, as obviously I do!

However the panic merchant thread got me thinking. It really is stressful following us, especially this season. You wonder if all sports fans are the same. I picture Americans watching NFL for example, sitting having a laugh, chicken wings and various other food and drink out.

Then i think of me ( and probably 90% of us) on Sunday watching our game. Pacing the living room floor, feeling sick, heart racing, sheer relief when we scored. Then as soon as the final whistle goes worrying about the Ross County game!

You do wonder how you end up taking it so seriously. If and when we do win it though it will make it all worthwhile.

Because we love our team so much.
We detest the fcuckers from across the city and we have had such a hard 9 years listening to them crow on about glory, and now its our turn.
With that seed of doubt brings stress.
But the celebrations for 55 will FAR outweigh the stresses we have all put ourselves and family through this season.

And we'll do it all again next season.
And the following season, etc.
Cos We Are Rangers!!!B-D

Rangers is a drug

Used to also enjoy watching good matches that we didn’t feature in, now, there are very few games that I watch that we’re not playing in.

Sept ‘82 first game with my pals, didn’t get to go often until I left school, used to be a real treat to go to see Rangers.

The highs, the lows, the high after the low. The debate, the camaraderie, the atmosphere, the emotions, the travel, the food, the feeling of belonging to something amazing and most of all the love of Rangers binds my dad, my lads and me in a way nothing else could! I love it.

I like mist football, however, I won’t watch Scottish matches we are not playing in, never have. I can’t stand other Scottish teams doing well.

epl is garbage this season tbh.
It’s literally all about the Rangers

You wonder if all sports fans are the same. I picture Americans watching NFL for example, sitting having a laugh, chicken wings and various other food and drink out.
There’s as many fanatics that live and breath their clubs over in North America, but there is undoubtedly more of a “family friendly” atmosphere at games in terms of the songs and insults to opposition lol

I was at a Blue Jays game against Seattle years ago and a young lad was gonna get chucked for holding up a “Kenny Griffey Jnr Sucks” placard and chanting “you suck” at him. Imagine that at Ibrox, there’d be less than half capacity inside a few minutes :p

As for actually why we do it, it’s in the blood. The highs it brings are matched by the lows. When 55 comes, it’s gonna be the end of a long time coming for all of us.

There’s nothing like scoring a goal when you’re playing and the next best thing is roaring when you’re team does it. I can honestly say Rangers was my favourite team since I was a toddler.

This should be a good thread.

I’ve no idea what, initially, got me into football. I know my dad tried to steer me away from supporting Rangers so my first strips were Scotland and Liverpool. I started to pester him to take me to Ibrox when I was 5 or 6 and he gave in (September 1986) because he couldn’t get me a ticket for a Scotland v England game. I was hooked on Rangers from then.

Aside from Rangers I can still watch just about any game, my choice though would probably be to watch a good standard amateur game.

I could spin a long yarn about how and why I started supporting Rangers. It wasn't in my blood before but it is now and will be forever. Its a cool story but meh its late :)

I pity people in life who don’t get to experience the absolute pure emotional joy that comes with scoring against them or in a big European tie.

Sure, they’ll get happiness through family, holidays, experiences.

But that absolute visceral high?
Imagine going through life not knowing what that feels like.
Always find males who dont like football strange to be honest.

When a lot of things change, people, circumstances, losses, gains through out your life there's that one constant by your side; the rangers. It's a game of beauty, with myth, heroes and villains.

I'm sure it's saved many a folks life. Certainly been one of the things in life that has meaning; can take the memorys do your grave.

F**king glorious.

I love football. I love Rangers more than football though. I don’t remember a day in my childhood when I wasn’t kicking a ball pretending to be Ally McCoist or Davie Cooper and waiting for the game at the weekend.

I still do it, nutmegged the wife with a tennis ball and hit a shot under the tv unit earlier shouting “goal for Rangers”. I’m amazed I’m still married to be honest.

I was born a Bluenose, my 3 younger Brothers don't bother at all, I've lived and breathed Rangers since as long as I can remember and I was born in 1970.

If it wasn't for Rangers these day's then I'd have little interest in football at all.

Just cos...

Growing up in Glasgow in the 60s every boy was into football. I never knew anyone who wasnt until I left school. My family were Rangers and so I became a Rangers fan too. The only time I lost interest was for a spell in my early-twenties when I became distracted by the opposite sex. I really realized how much I loved the game when I immigrated. Going a few years on newspaper reports and videotapes sent from home made me understand what I was missing. Its simply the best sport in the world, its a game anyone with any type of physique can succeed in. It challenges both your fitness and skill and builds bonds with others that only warfare can match.

The beautiful game? Absolutely!

Was took to my first rangers match in 1993 aged 7 by my dad and older cousin. Since that day onwards I’ve been hooked and hardly never miss a home game and get to as many away games in Scotland and Europe as I can. I wouldn’t change it for the world.

there’s days and nights I come out of the stadium after a shit performance thinking what the hell am I doing wasting money time and effort, but I’ll be back again the following week as I love rangers football club. It’s a way of life for me, and this pandemic has shown me exactly how much it does mean to me.

Ill never ever complain about a cold wet november Wednesday night at home to hamilton again

The unscripted drama.

I used to love football. Now I’m only interested in Rangers Football Club.

I suppose everyone is different.
When I was a boy, my brother took me to a game. It wasn't my first game, maybe my 4th or 5th, but I got the bug, desperate for Rangers to win. It's been the same feeling since, 50 years on. I can remember the score too, a thrilling Aberdeen 2 Rangers 3 when we fought back to win in 1969, Stein 2 and Johnston (Stein was my first hero).

Without getting into a load of psychobabble, I think most folk get into it because at some point in their upbringing they experience a moment of crowd driven euphoria that feels amazing and you just come back for more and more. Following live music does something similar (just with different 'tribes'). And you put up with so much crap just so you can experience that moment again because it feels that good in the moment. Sport is probably better at it than music because you don't know how things will end.
That and because We Are The People

Never really had a say in it. Right, that's you 3 years old now, time you seen the Rangers. The rest they say is history.

I suppose everyone is different.
When I was a boy, my brother took me to a game. It wasn't my first game, maybe my 4th or 5th, but I got the bug, desperate for Rangers to win. It's been the same feeling since, 50 years on. I can remember the score too, a thrilling Aberdeen 2 Rangers 3 when we fought back to win in 1969, Stein 2 and Johnston (Stein was my first hero).
Ditto

I’ve got my grandad and my dad to thank for taking me to my first Rangers games home and away in the early 70s. Rangers are in my veins and it’s a great feeling my son is just as much in love with Rangers as I am.

I had a passing interest when I was wee, but the game that I first felt that excitement was Tranmere Rovers v Aston Villa in the 93/94 league cup. My folks didn’t care too much about football.

Tranmere won the first round 3-1, I remember watching it on MOTD and thinking it was amazing that a small team had beat Villa. The second leg was televised - a rare thing in the 90’s - and I remember looking forward to it all week and watching it rooting for Tranmere. Villa won the match 3-1 which went to penalties and Villa won 5-4.

After that I was hooked and decided Rangers were my team. No idea why, they just were. First old firm game I remember bricking myself about was the 1994 new year game we won 4-2, remember listening to it on the radio.

Everyone within my family were Rangers fans, both on my dad and mums side. My gran had a story of her Grandad watching Rangers, that would have been close to the founding of our club. It’s in our blood, always will be. My dad has taken me to Ibrox since I was three with his mates and there kids, earliest memory was walking up Copland Road and clambering up the steps at the Stadium and seeing the floodlights and noise for the first time, hooked immediately.

At the end of my wedding speech I said "good luck to the Glasgow Rangers "
Ha, wasn’t going to mention mine, but I got my brother (best man) to toast the Queen at the start of his and I finished my run of toasts to “The Rangers”. Glorious to hear the room repeat it en mass :))

Its masochism, really, the self-torture that football fans, and not just us, put themselves through. In saying that, there is no drug that brings a high as the emotion felt when the final whistle is blown after defeating the Peasants.

Because it is all i have ever known. Even if not in attendance my old man wouldnt miss a game. It could have been tv,radio or even teletext. So its no surprise really.

Football is emotive passionate a game that brings incredible highs and devastating lows.
I was brought up in a mixed household my father was a passionate follower of the rangers as was his father and so on my self and my brothers from a very young age were brought up to support Rangers.
my mother’s family were and still are staunch Celtic followers it’s something that’s never personally bothered me each to their own

I've been obsessed with football and Rangers as long as I can remember. Both my parents love football and come from football loving families - my Dad was a decent amateur player and my Mum's brother is an ex-pro.

Tbh I don't really understand people who say they only watch Rangers and don't have any interest in other football. I find that odd.

Was brought up in a house where I wasn’t taken to Ibrox as a child. I came into it on my own terms and I’m glad it happened that way.

The reason we stick with it is the highs. I can’t compare that feeling when Rangers score to anything else in life. When we win a game against the scum and the party that follows. It’s just sheer unbridled happiness in that moment. It’s amazing.

And those who don’t understand, don’t matter!

I'm not particularly keen on football. The whole circus surrounding it leaves me cold and, as a participation sport, it is vastly inferior to rugby.

When my kids were growing up I drove thousands of miles and spent many a wet and weary weekend watching them play rugby, hockey and netball and loved every minute of it. I'd have had no such enthusiasm for school kickball.

BUT I'd crawl over broken glass to watch Rangers.

You get a feeling from certain moments in football that are incomparable to anything else.

I feel sorry for people who have never experienced the feeling I had when Edu scored that last minute goal. I genuinely feel like they are missing out!

I told my daughter she has one responsibility and one responsibility only, when I'm gone make sure my grandchildren never lose Rangers in their life.

As said earlier, its simply in your blood. Couldn't imagine anything different.

Never known much else really since I was about 8. Seeing new places, different countries, pubs, fan scenes and being part of atmospheres before, during and after. Meeting all kinds of folk from different cultures. Football will always be interlinked with travel and the day out/trip for me, I’ll never understand how folk can only watch it on tv and get really excited to be honest.

Back