Why do you support Rangers?

Forgot to add even though my grandparents were from Oban, Lewis and Glasgow and from near the Mountains of Mourne in NI, all were Rangers supporting families. My parents though were from Tradeston and Linthouse in Govan so I was only going to support one team :))

It's in the blood.
Family of bears but don't recall being told or overly encouraged to support the Rangers - it was almost as if it was simply assumed that I would.
I did, as my father, grandad and great grandad did before me, and now my sons do too.
My grandson doesn't understand it yet but it's in the blood and, in due course, he will too.
Born into a massive family of bears on both parents sides and, a bit like yourself, I don't recall ever being told to support the Rangers. Like you say, it's as if it was always assumed that I would.... and they were correct!
One thing I do remember was loving gazza when I was a wee boy. I hadn't long started primary school and I was infatuated by him: had his name on all my strips, would pretend to be gazza when we played football on the playground and in the street, etc. Although I had strips etc from a very young age, these are probably my first memories of properly supporting Rangers. My first full season at Ibrox was Gazza's last year with us and I've never looked back!

Was born a Rangers supporter and so was my daughter. Love my team to bits, Whether we are successful or gone through a bad patch.

My dad took me to the matches when I was 6 years old.
As I've grown up and changed and lived and learned it's the one thing I've just never felt like I could just walk away from.
Even when I'm a bit down or just plain fed up with life it's the one thing that can creep into my thoughts and put a bit of passion back into my life.

I don't have a season ticket anymore but I still get myself along to Ibrox a few times a season and I never miss a match on Rangers TV. No matter what is going on I can put the match on and get caught up in it. Jumping around this house like a maniac when we scored that winner against Legia. I don't know why.

It's not rational at all but I can't put my finger on just why I care so much.
Sounds a bit stupid but really, when you get right down to the specifics of the thing, it's love.
I can't imagine not having this.

My wee brother was also born a Rangers fan, But he turned to the dark side at 18 years of age, That causes me great sadness, I suppose he lacks the same moral fiber as myself.

family ,born into a family on both sides were rangers people .i consider myself extremely lucky ,i love rangers its that simple .

Dad, grandfather and great grandfather supported Rangers and also the entire family, so no wriggle room to support anyone else. Wouldn`t have it any other way. Now my son is 5th generation of RFC supporters. WATP

It’s a family thing. You are brought up on the straight and narrow to follow in the same way.

The institution that is Rangers is like a member of the family. We love our club as we are the Rangers family

I was born a Bluenose, Mum was widowed when I had just turned 4 back in 75, she moved back to Dunoon area in 78 and all my cousins on her side are RC and Celtic fans and they tried their best to turn me but I was having none of it, Rangers for me just like my Dad, must run in my blood.

Brought up to support rangers. My old man,all my cousins are rangers so there was nothing up for negotiations and they're only a couple of mile up the road.

My dad, and the first time he took me (1985) the sight of red white and blue been my obsession ever since.

Because
First time post from an auld yin. Please be kind! Every time I’m asked why I support Rangers the reason(s) I have given for last 50 years is always the same “John Grieg and Willie Henderson”

if the questioner needs further explanation they don’t get it from me. It is self-explanatory. I’ve been asked that question lots in my lifetime from Rangers and Celtic supporters alike. You see, I attended Catholic schools when I was growing up but have always and forever been a Rangers man; man and boy.

So, why do you support Rangers?
Because the colours they are fine.

The fact that my grandfather didn’t speak to my mum for a month after I was born on the 17th of March may show why.

My family are all staunch Rangers men and gals so was inevitable I would follow suit.

was quickly versed growing up and the kid across the road telling me we were different because he went to a catholic school... how right he was!!

Im another St Patrick’s day bear. Nurse suggested to my parents to call me Patrick:oops:

First time post from an auld yin. Please be kind! Every time I’m asked why I support Rangers the reason(s) I have given for last 50 years is always the same “John Grieg and Willie Henderson”

if the questioner needs further explanation they don’t get it from me. It is self-explanatory. I’ve been asked that question lots in my lifetime from Rangers and Celtic supporters alike. You see, I attended Catholic schools when I was growing up but have always and forever been a Rangers man; man and boy.
Anyway you go ya beggar

No idea really, always have done for as long as I can remember.

My dad isn't into football, but there is a Rangers connection on his side of the family which meant that the only time he was at Ibrox he was in the director's box.

My grandad on my mums side supported Rangers, but rarely went to the games.

Mum and Dads side were Rangers families, moved down to Ayrshire with overspill, lots of cousins who are all Rangers through and through and mostly all live in Ayrshire now.

Fellow auld yin here.

Born into a Rangers family and have thanked the lord every day of my life.

May 1978, as I was turning 5, WC fever was gripping the nation.

I told my Dad (who's only a notional Rangers supporter and not that interested in football) that I wanted to be Kenny Dalglish and he told me that I was wrong and that I should want to be Derek Johnstone as he was better because he played for Rangers. He then trold me about the 16 year old boy who scored the winning header in a game three years before I was born.

At my first Rangers game, almost 2 years later, the SC SF v Fergie's Sheep at The Piggery, captain DJ scored the winning goal. That really sealed the deal but unfortunately I never saw peak Derek, although I was thrilled to meet him at Stamford Bridge, before the Bradford Disaster game.
I was at this game and I was also 5 years old. I remember it like it was yesterday. When DJ scored I remember my old man turning me round and showing me the bears celebrating. I also remember his words “see that son, that’s your family” And there’s me trying to balance on his shoulders. I’ll never forget that day.

It’s in my DNA on both sides of my family. My roots go back to Tradeston/Kinning Park/Govan around the time Rangers started playing in the area, I like to think my great-grandfathers watched them, like every generation since.

Born into a Rangers supporting family and brought up on a Hebridean island to support Rangers. My bedroom had the Rangers wallpaper, Rangers bed sheets, red white and blue carpets. All the family staunch Protestsnts, church attendants, and everyone Rangers.
When my parents married years before I was born, they moved to Glasgow and into their first home, it had a green front door. My great uncle from the islands, then located in Glasgow, who lived near them would not come to the house due to the colour of the door. So my dad had to go out and buy blue paint, paint the door blue. Every week after the great uncle and family visited them after the colour changed door.
Staunch and proud and so thankful of my upbringing.

Was drummed into me when i was a young boy by my dad, same thing as i now do with my own two.

Like most I expect will be the same my dad and his dad support Rangers and I’ve never knew anything different. The reason my family started the support was because they were the Protestant team. We are probably not allowed to admit that in today’s Scotland right enough

The clearest early memory from my childhood is of being taken to the Glasgow Cup Final by my dad on a midweek night back in the mid - 1950's when we beat Clyde 2-0. Clyde had a player - Albert Murphy - who was ordered off, refused to go and ended up being marched off the pitch by two Glasgow policemen. The memory of that and seeing George Young lift the trophy at the end of the game has never left me. Like many thousands of Bears, I never chose to support Rangers. They were given to me and I could not imagine what life would be like without them.

My father was wounded at Normandy and for along time afterwards we lived with my grandfather in Ashgill his two brothers played for Rangers and probably the whole of Ashgill supported rangers no other team for me even though we live in south of England now blue blood in my veins

It is a family thing, both my parent's families were all Gers fans so my dad followed on the tradition.

My wife and I have no children (our choice) but I can asure all that my extended family are staunch and none have strayed or being infuenced by those from the dark side.

My local team, a quarter of a mile closer than Queen's Park. 'Support your local team.'

(Oh, aye, that, and the fact that as a Protestant in 1960's Glasgow, born to a family of Bluenoses, there was no other sane option. I believed in God, Santa Claus, the Loch Ness monster and Rangers. Maturity eliminated three out of four but my first experience of Ibrox - the Stadium, the colour, the crowd, the passion and the football - claimed my first, and best, lifelong love.)

Like most of us my dad supported Rangers and I was brought up properly. My earliest memory in life is the day my sister was born I was 2 1/2. My dad had me at Ibrox before that. In Scotland your born lucky or blessed. Thank %^*& I was lucky.

One day in Season 1968 -69 my dad took me to Ibrox. First i recall was v Airdrie Sc Q-F 1-0. Was forever hooked. Never waivered for a minute. Probably 2000plus games later and cant get a tkt for Sunday. Hope those who go, cheer our boys to victory!

Back