Why do you support Rangers?

Mum's side of the family are from Govan. "A 5 minute walk from Ibrox" my granda used to say with pride. Of course, he was a regular at the games with his grandfather.

I don't remember being coaxed into following us or anything like that, just came naturally to me really.

First time post from an auld yin. Please be kind! Every time I’m asked why I support Rangers the reason(s) I have given for last 50 years is always the same “John Grieg and Willie Henderson”

if the questioner needs further explanation they don’t get it from me. It is self-explanatory. I’ve been asked that question lots in my lifetime from Rangers and Celtic supporters alike. You see, I attended Catholic schools when I was growing up but have always and forever been a Rangers man; man and boy.

So, why do you support Rangers?

Funnily enough John Greig as well although it's because I was given a t-shirt with him on it when I was about 3 from an uncle on my dad's side who were all big Rangers fans.

Born in KP to a Presbyterian Rangers supporting family, Grandparents, parents, Aunts, Uncles, siblings, 95% cousins (one of my Uncles turned when married, kids got brought up papes). Everyone at School were Bears...it was bliss.
In KP it was straight out the football season and right into the marching season in those days

Growing up it was either them or The Famous, as I'm not an inbred manky work shy waste of space there was only one choice!! Best decision I've ever made

My grandfather was a Linfield man originally, but he moved to Glasgow and as an Orangeman there was only one team to follow. He brought my Dad up a Rangers fan. I can’t remember not following Rangers. Had to wait until I was 9 though to attend my first match.

Now there's an interesting conversation. The Norwegian composer (and probably Norway's most famous man), Edvard Grieg, of Peer Gynt fame, is from a Scottish family originally called 'Greig'. Mind you, wee Eddy Greig doesn't have quite the same ring to it. Nice music, though:

So why do I support Rangers? My auld man was a Teuchter and when he moved to Glasgow after the war started to Follow Follow. My auld dear was from an Airdrie-supporting family of Orangeman and it was like a meeting of minds.

Faither was dyed in the wool, I would have risked serious injury if it was anybody else I supported.

They were my local team in them days, raised in Govan,

But also because WATP.

Once you get the bug there’s no going back.

My dad didnt bother with football but my mum was a proud staunch rangers fan we were surrounded by a lot of bitter celtic supporting fans! Her fav player was John Greig a fighter and a winner! My mother bought me my first rangers strip and when I put it on it felt right, I felt special and proud coming from a big family that struggled to get by thanks ma miss you loads!

My old man,he still goes home and away and he's in his 70's now,first took me to Ibrox aged 5 and ive been hooked since,grew up listening to him rave about jimmy millar and ralph brand

I think i got into Rangers myself as my dad was a Man utd fan and he used to take me to watch our local team |Carrick Rangers | when i was young and remember when Cliftonville use to come down to play you got some in there support wearing celtic tops and it was my first taste of singing billy boys etc and loved it! and we had kenny shiels as manager at that time and he signed big John mcClelland who use to play for Rangers and around that time in early 90"s asked to go over to Ibrox and i loved it as some ground and mark hateley playing ! and now i have son into rangers now

My 4 older brothers supported hibs hearts Celtc Aberdeen

My mates supported Rangers and went to league Cup final In 78 it they made it sound "out of this world" we'd have been 10 yrs old and that was me hooked..... Didn't please my Aberdeen supporting dad, hey ho

Southside born and bred.... I remember years ago when i was but a nipper by old granda from KP taught me all the songs.must have been around 1975....just knew then it was Rangers for me

Because my late Dad and 3/4 Grandparents were all Scots. They installed it into me at an early age, that if asked my Scottish team (I live in Luton and am a Hatters fanatic) - is ALWAYS Rangers!

From the moment I went to my first Gers game with the old much missed Luton Rangers Supporters Club to Hampden, for our 1979 League Cup 2-1 win v the Sheep - I've been hooked ever since and attended over 100 Bears matches, including dozens in Europe. Was in Luxembourg July and only in Amsterdam last week - sadly no Feyenoord ticket mind!

because of my dad, grew up with family employed at Ibrox and always attended. Earliest memories are of sitting on the white wall at the enclosure digging up insects from the red ash or playing tigg, early 80's so plenty of room.

Spent most of my time in my uncle's car in mafeking st with my bro and cousins getting passed the odd coke/crisps while my dad and uncle got pissed. Now back at mafeking street 40years on at the masonic with my dad and uncle, at least i get in now :)

Simply because we lived in the south of Glasgow, 20 minute walk to Ibrox, Rangers were our local team. Also we were CoS, and the church minister was one Rev James Currie.

I am now a devout athiest but still love Rangers as much, if not more, when my Dad and uncle took me to Ibrox in the early 70s.

Apparently when I was born my father held me and said:

1. Respect those that deserve respect, dismiss those that don't.
  2. Defend your beliefs because you'll be a coward not to.
  3. Support Rangers or you'll be no son of mine.

I was just born, so don't really know if it really happened obviously, but I hope it did.

Whole family all from Glasgow aside from me. Always the butt of jokes on that!
But, when it came to football I supported the team my dad supported, which was the team his dad supported and that is the team that my son supports WATP!

My family , my da taking me when I was young , my uncles giving me tve hatred for them (in no way a bad thing)

I was hooked , some great memories, sitting with my granda listening to the radio winning title vs sheep with hateleys 2 goals and my first league title in 87 , watching sportscene tv at night

most important thing on my life other than kids/ family....always arranged my working life around rangers so I can see ever game

you are only here once ,enjoy the things you like / love

First time post from an auld yin. Please be kind! Every time I’m asked why I support Rangers the reason(s) I have given for last 50 years is always the same “John Grieg and Willie Henderson”

if the questioner needs further explanation they don’t get it from me. It is self-explanatory. I’ve been asked that question lots in my lifetime from Rangers and Celtic supporters alike. You see, I attended Catholic schools when I was growing up but have always and forever been a Rangers man; man and boy.

Remarkable but not surprising. Most Rangers fans are born or have family to thank for the privilege. There is a thesis here? Perhaps for another time. In the meantime let’s be happy to be a bear whether born or bread. WATP.

I found my own way with most of my primary school being Rangers. I was then a milk boy and collected from Jock Wallace, Wilkins and Francis. The quality of these legends made me love the club even from a young starstruck age.

It was drummed into me, probably from birth to be honest.

There was simply no choice in the matter!

Rangers fans are born, not manufactured
We do not choose, we are chosen
Those who understand need no explanation
Those who do not, do not matter !

My late dad, we moved from Bonnybridge in 76' up to Elgin (still live here) and when I went to the primary school I was the only Rangers supporter at that time. They were all sheep, my grandparents all tried to get me to shift to the sheep, I will be 50 next year and still proud and always will be to be a Bear as are my two daughters!

My uncle took me to my first Rangers game when I was 13 and I can only thank him for that and 45 years later still loving it.

Back