Why does every poor result get blamed on Tav?

See this thing about how many penalties he’s score and bringing it up as some sort of slight against him.you know where that comes from,non rangers supporters/yahoos.yet some parrot it on here.
Yeah, I don’t understand why we try to diminish achievements. Nobody takes out Ally’s penalties from his goal record, or Boyd. He’s the only player I have known that gets that chucked at him.

See this thing about how many penalties he’s score and bringing it up as some sort of slight against him.you know where that comes from,non rangers supporters/yahoos.yet some parrot it on here.
Maybe we should knock off SuperAlly’s pens, take off big Albertz’s too since they seem to mean %^*& all to the Self Loathing Loyal, twisted weirdos.

I am not implying it as a slight against him, as I have said it is admirable he can take penalties, he is fantastic at them

But the actual event which leads to the penalty being won isn't actually always caused as a consequence of him, he isn't the main attacking threat which has lead to it.

It gets stated he is our main goal threat, he isn't.

My beef now is that if we play him we need to compensate and fill in for him when he goes AWOL. He simply doesn't have the legs now to burst forward the way he used to and he certainly struggles to get back. For me the right back still needs to be able to defend and protect and help the right sided CB during a game.
Even more important when your right sided CB is losing his legs now and is expected to chase the wingers your right back isn't there to look after. That's a huge weakness for me in our set up.

Tavs stats are there for all to see but I can't be the only one who sees his general passing / crossing etc as pretty poor but sure in amongst his norm there are times when a small % of what he does pays off.

Throwing 50 darts at that bull, missing with 48 of them but putting 2 hits in the stat bank doesn't make you a great darts player.
Single putting 2 holes and 3 putting all the others shouldn't generally see you ranked as a good golfer....

You can paint a different picture if you only want to count the good stats; the bulls hit, the single putts made, the assists, the goals scored.
Count total throws at the bull, count the total putts taken, count the total passes made, count the total shots on goal and then measure the successes against those attempts and the stats will look very different.

He served us a long time and he's given us some important goals and assists BUT there is a bigger picture here and in this current team, playing this current 'style' of football...it's not really working, for multiple reasons mind you....not just Tav reasons so it's unfair to target him in isolation. There are many others contributing to this shambles playing out in front of us...including our tinkering manager.

It's not a defence of them, the number of goals when people just list numbers is skewed by a RB taking penalties.

The number of goals and the apparent goal threat Tavernier is, is skewed by him being the penalty taker.

It is admirable he can take penalties, but it affords people a slightly false narrative.

So if we replace Tav with a different right back, lose all his assists and let strikers take the penalties then it will mean what? If Dessers has 30 goals and Tav none does it mean we are top of the league?

We start scoring more goals and conceding less?

The attackers are poor. They don't create enough and don't score enough of what is created.

The midfield is poor. They don't create enough they don't score enough, they don't protect the defence enough, they don't run enough.

Tav is at the very bottom of the list in terms of problems in the team.

So if we replace Tav with a different right back, lose all his assists and let strikers take the penalties then it will mean what? If Dessers has 30 goals and Tav none does it mean we are top of the league?

The attackers are poor. They don't create enough and don't score enough of what is created.

The midfield is poor. They don't create enough they don't score enough, they don't protect the defence enough, they don't run enough.

He has 8 assists in the league, for context, as I don't think many would consider either Johnston or Taylor as overly attacking, Johnston has 4 and Taylor has 5.

Factoring in Tavernier hits corners and freekicks, again, admirable, his assist numbers aren't that out of the ordinary this season relative to fullbacks of our main competitors and that is factoring them having superior attacking players would be your thought I assume given how poor you are saying our attackers are?

I would expect Tavernier is one of our top wage earners, we are about to enter what is a likely massive rebuild of the side, if a suitable bid was on the table, the notion he is untouchable just isn't out of the question to me. I wouldn't have much issue if we moved on from him, even accounting for work needing done in other areas of the team

He has 8 assists in the league, for context, as I don't think many would consider either Johnston or Taylor as overly attacking, Johnston has 4 and Taylor has 5.

Factoring in Tavernier hits corners and freekicks, again, admirable, his assist numbers aren't that out of the ordinary this season relative to fullbacks with of our main competitors and that is factoring them having superior attacking players would be your thought I assume given how poor you are saying our attackers are?

I would expect Tavernier is one of our top wage earners, we are about to enter what is a likely massive rebuild of the side, if a suitable bid was on the table, the notion he is untouchable just isn't out of the question to me. I wouldn't have much issue if we moved on from him, even accounting for work needing done in other areas of the team

I don't think he is untouchable. If we can sell for a good fee to reinvest then of course we should consider.

However as I said he is at the bottom of the list of problems.

I don't think he is untouchable. If we can sell for a good fee to reinvest then of course we should consider.

However as I said he is at the bottom of the list of problems.

I personally don't think that

If the means to raise funds meant Tavernier leaving it wouldn't bother me at all now.

genuinely baffling.

How anyone could watch tonight and believe Tav is the problem is beyond me.

We had a woeful midfield 3 that Dundee walked through at times which happened at the weekend as well. Lundstram and Lawrence barely got beyond jogging pace tonight.

We have multiple forward players who struggle to create and stick the ball in the net. In January many felt we needed to sign a goalscorer and that’s now coming back to bite us on the arse.

Silva, Matondo are useless. Roofe is like an old cripple and Dessers is just woeful.

Goldson and Souttar are a bombscare partnership.

Tav has flaws, no arguments there. If he didn’t then he’d be playing at a far higher level.

But the amount of unfair criticism towards him is genuinely baffling.

“He goes hiding” - utter shite. No matter how bad he’s playing or the team is playing, he always shows for the ball and tries to drive us forward.

“He’s a bottle merchant” - utter shite. Lost count how many times he’s stepped up in pressure situations/moments in massive games to deliver an assist/free kick/goal. Hardly the signs of a bottler.

“he’s no a captain” - two world class players and captains in GVB and SG sung his praises as a captain and player but what do they know. All because he doesn’t scream and shout and grab teammates by the throat on the park.

He was our biggest contributor in reaching the Europa league final, top scorer in the competition scoring many pressure penalties including leading in the shootout with the first penalty. Almost won the thing had it not been for Ramsay.

Stepped up in the league cup final and regularly in the 55 season.

The trophy count since he’s been here hasn’t been good enough but it’s a collective team issue rather than a Tav issue. And the first few years he was here is hardly a stick to beat him with given the shite surrounding him and the circus we had in the dugout until Gerrard arrived.

If fans genuinely believe getting rid of Tav will result in our defence being solid and midfield/strikers making up Tav’s numbers and us winning everything in sight, it’s delusional IMO. And only when he leaves will we realise just how much he brings to the table.

We’ve far bigger problems in the team to address than Tav.
When things are bad that is when the Captain needs to stand up! Last two games he couldn't pass wind and has been awful! Granted there are more than him but seeing you have made this thread about him it brings the attention on our Captain!

People don’t seem to want to accept that we simply have a squad full of players that aren’t good enough. We’re never going to win a title with a squad full of players like Davies, Matondo, Dessers, Wright, Lawrence and Silva etc

Continually getting your hopes up that they’re going to achieve something they aren’t capable of is madness. It’s like entering a wee 3 legged scabby dug for crufts and then shouting “BAD BOY” at it when it doesn’t win.

Take the anger out on the board and the recruitment team. It’s them that have failed miserably since the 55 season.
You name these player yet our defence have been giving gifts with calamity defending for years! Right now Tav's mind is faster than his body reactions along with others!

Constantly on here ,there's always sly digs about him taking penalties
My favourite was the poster who said we could just get any fan from the front row to score from penalties

fair enough, not the kind of comments I can recall reading.

Not that hard to understand, he is the captain of the team and should be driving the standards but is often one of the main culprits when we bottle it every season. Gets all the praise when he’s scoring goals and needs to take the criticism when the other parts of his game that are badly lacking are also showing.

Not sure that anybody has faith in him and Goldson as captain and vice captain any more. Dujon Sterling’s words the other day were damning.

Tav unfortunately is the easy touch whipping boy, so many on here need someone to blame, Tav's inability to defend is not ideal in fact it is a major problem for a right back therefor he gets Cnuted off every time we lose a game of football, there are others equally culpable who do get flack but they generally for the most part seem to fly below the FF radar and not to the same extent as the captain.i believe his time is up at Rangers.
When he goes he will be missed as we will never again have a full back who scores as many goals as he does.

it’s strange you never get threads slating tav when he’s hauled us out of holes countless times with his goals.the second we get a bad result,up they pop.
Same posters on here salivating over him when his goal won us the cup. Mask slips with some who have been waiting on a chance to slate him.

By all means be annoyed at the squad for whats happened this season. But to target our top scorer, top assister and the only one who has shown real bottle (including stepping up and winning us a trophy) is absolutely ludicrous.

Not that hard to understand, he is the captain of the team and should be driving the standards but is often one of the main culprits when we bottle it every season. Gets all the praise when he’s scoring goals and needs to take the criticism when the other parts of his game that are badly lacking are also showing.

Not sure that anybody has faith in him and Goldson as captain and vice captain any more. Dujon Sterling’s words the other day were damning.
I would say that is the job of the manager. As captain he should be trying his best, stepping up in big moment and supporting his teammates. He has done all of that all season. Ask the players what they think of him. Listen to the interviews from them all after we won the cup. The 2 first team players I know absolutely adore him and how he is with them and others in the squad.

Still though, everyone needs a whipping boy apparently.

It gets stated he is our main goal threat, he isn't.

Tav literally has more goals and more assists than any other player.

If it's not Tav who's our main goal threat, who would you say it is? Not having a go, it's a genuine question because I'm not sure who it would be.

If it's not Tav who's our main goal threat, who would you say it is? Not having a go, it's a genuine question because I'm not sure who it would be.

He has 17 goals in the league, 12 of them are penalties.

That to me doesn't make him our greatest goal threat given so many are dependent on us winning a penalty or not.

Dessers and Sima are a far greater goal threat (as they should be).

That to me doesn't make him our greatest goal threat given so many are dependent on us winning a penalty or not.

That's fair. Sima was the other one I was thinking of especially with him having missed a chunk of the season. In saying that, him and Dessers only have five assists between them and Tav has eight on his own.

I don't know that one would be more of a goal threat than the other two but after those three there's no one else really contributing much and that's a problem.

The only threat that Dessers poses is to those that sit in Row M and above given how often he misses the target

The only threat that Dessers poses is to those that sit in Row M and above given how often he misses the target

Those in Row N must be in bother when Tav lets go a shot.

Dessers's shooting accuracy is 61.54%
Tavernier's shooting accuracy is 49.06%.

I would expect Dessers to be higher obviously, but it comfortably is.

Yeah, I don’t understand why we try to diminish achievements. Nobody takes out Ally’s penalties from his goal record, or Boyd. He’s the only player I have known that gets that chucked at him.

That's probably more to do with the fact he is a defender though than people trying to take away the fact he is a very good penalty taker.

When Tav eventually leaves I do wonder how he will reflect on his relationship with the fans while he's here. He might be the most divisive player among his own fanbase that I've ever known at any club. He's bound to be aware of how much of a love/hate thing it seems to be with him.

Someone said earlier can't remember if it was this thread or another but when Tav plays well and is on form he has dug us out of several holes in the past but when his own form suffers, there's not been enough support for him in terms of other players stepping up to drag us through games. I can see the point in that so I do have some sympathy with him.

I've also been shot down many times for suggesting he move into right mid or a more advanced position from next season on so we can still benefit from what attacking qualities he has while not suffering from the defensive issues that come with him at right back. I cannot see why it wouldn't be worth a try. You've got your natural right back there in Sterling. Everyone rates him in midfield because he's done a job there but that's not his trade position. Play him at right back. Defensively sound and our most productive attacking asset further up the pitch to influence things there.

In this new modern world of salivating over numbers, it’s all good and well stating the obvious, however how does it breakdown to % minutes played, and for set pieces as a % taken.

I’d say Barisic for instance would have a higher number of assists in terms of minutes played and set pieces (not pens) taken if you compare over the period they have been here.

Both are better attacking than defending and I’ll go out on a limb and say more goals are conceded by us from our RB being out of position and or not stopping a cross than our LB, but that’s just a hunch.

In this new modern world of salivating over numbers, it’s all good and well stating the obvious, however how does it breakdown to % minutes played, and for set pieces as a % taken.

I’d say Barisic for instance would have a higher number of assists in terms of minutes played and set pieces (not pens) taken if you compare over the period they have been here.

Both are better attacking than defending and I’ll go out on a limb and say more goals are conceded by us from our RB being out of position and or not stopping a cross than our LB, but that’s just a hunch.

Minutes played is a fair point. It's why I mentioned in another post above that Sima was the other one I'd consider to be our main goal threat. He has 11 goals and two assists but I'm sure that those numbers would be higher had he not missed a chunk of the season.

The out of position thing though is one I don't get. Tav's role is to get forward and join the attack, it's been that way for a few years. We had the perfect set up under Gerrard where the midfielders Jack and Kamara covered for the full backs getting forward. We don't seem to do so well at that these days. Tav arrived late in the box a few weeks ago to score against Hibs at Ibrox. He did it to win us a cup final this season as well. He's done it numerous times over the years, in big games too. If he's as out of position as much as is made out, why are managers are allowing him to get forward so much? It doesn't stack up for me.

Is he captain? Yes
Is he right back? Yes

So he quite literally IS a captain and IS a right back.

If the “never a captain” was prefaced with “In my opinion he is” instead of being stated as a fact it wouldn’t look so bloody stupid and be untrue.
He is unable to defend and obviously can't motivate his team mates.

No he isn't. Never captain material

He was the biggest contributor to us reaching a European final and coming within a penalty kick from winning it.

Contributed heavily to 55 and stopping that lot win 10IAR
Again, albeit important,one season out of 9.We didn't win the Euro trophy.
We came within a disallowed goal of winning a Euro trophy in 1967 against Bayern. Nearly winning is not success

1/9 you say, could you explain?

Obviously thinks Tav should have been inspiring Harry Forrester and Joe Dodoo to winning the title (prior to becoming captain as well).

I'm sure Richard Gough would have struggled to win trophies with some of the shite Tav has had to play with regularly. Equally, I'm sure Tav would have far more trophies if he had been playing with guys like Laudrup, Gazza and McCoist.

Obviously thinks Tav should have been inspiring Harry Forrester and Joe Dodoo to winning the title (prior to becoming captain as well).

I'm sure Richard Gough would have struggled to win trophies with some of the shite Tav has had to play with regularly. Equally, I'm sure Tav would have far more trophies if he had been playing with guys like Laudrup, Gazza and McCoist.
Aye by the looks of things he should have won the Premiership while playing in the Championship.

Gough wasn’t playing alongside some horrifically woeful players that would struggle to get a regular game with Hearts and Aberdeen.
If Tav had been in a team with Gough as captain and had made that comment about the team not handling opposition getting in your face then he would have been verbally slapped around the dressing room.
That's the difference between them

My beef now is that if we play him we need to compensate and fill in for him when he goes AWOL. He simply doesn't have the legs now to burst forward the way he used to and he certainly struggles to get back. For me the right back still needs to be able to defend and protect and help the right sided CB during a game.
Even more important when your right sided CB is losing his legs now and is expected to chase the wingers your right back isn't there to look after. That's a huge weakness for me in our set up.

Tavs stats are there for all to see but I can't be the only one who sees his general passing / crossing etc as pretty poor but sure in amongst his norm there are times when a small % of what he does pays off.

Throwing 50 darts at that bull, missing with 48 of them but putting 2 hits in the stat bank doesn't make you a great darts player.
Single putting 2 holes and 3 putting all the others shouldn't generally see you ranked as a good golfer....

You can paint a different picture if you only want to count the good stats; the bulls hit, the single putts made, the assists, the goals scored.
Count total throws at the bull, count the total putts taken, count the total passes made, count the total shots on goal and then measure the successes against those attempts and the stats will look very different.

He served us a long time and he's given us some important goals and assists BUT there is a bigger picture here and in this current team, playing this current 'style' of football...it's not really working, for multiple reasons mind you....not just Tav reasons so it's unfair to target him in isolation. There are many others contributing to this shambles playing out in front of us...including our tinkering manager.
You have to be careful with this sensible stuff, you don't allow the Tav fan boys to call you a hater, and you don't allow the haters to call you a Tav fan boy.

In a direct answer to the question, I don’t think every poor result does get blamed on Tav.
However there is no doubt he has been culpable in several matches with some shocking performances, particularly recently.
His ability to defend depends heavily on his awareness of what is going on/who is around him and positioning/readying himself accordingly.
Being left side of our left sided centre back or jogging back from an attack when our defence is seriously under threat, is not where I want my right back to be.
It’s all very well to highlight what he contributes at the other end, but if we keep shipping the most preventable of goals… as we do, any benefit he poses in attack is negated by our inability to defend.

Just my opinion, as I’ve obviously no proof, but I believe opponents now target that side of our defence as a weak area and if that is the case and Tav is exposed he will undoubtedly get some flack.

Having said that, I stand by my original statement that I don’t believe Tav gets the blame for every poor result, but there is also no reason why some of his performances should not come into question.

Back