Why Germany wear white, despite it not being a colour on their flag

closer-look-nazi-germany-1938-world-cup-kit%2B%25283%2529.jpg

World cup 1938 kit was a belter :oops:
Cracking kit that :cool:

I remembered it as light blue and white so googled it. It was various shades of blue over the years with the lighter blue being associated with the mullet haircut.

I always think of it as dark blue. Sticks out (along with Yugoslavia) because most of the other Eastern Bloc countries seemed to wear red and white (Poland, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, USSR, Bulgaria, etc.). I think 5 or even all 6 of the pot 2 teams in the 1982 World Cup, (when they grouped all the communist teams plus Austria into pot 2 and the Western European teams into pot 3) wore red and white.

I always think of it as dark blue. Sticks out (along with Yugoslavia) because most of the other Eastern Bloc countries seemed to wear red and white (Poland, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, USSR, Bulgaria, etc.). I think 5 or even all 6 of the pot 2 teams in the 1982 World Cup, (when they grouped all the communist teams plus Austria into pot 2 and the Western European teams into pot 3) wore red and white.

Another puzzle for me is France regularly changing the shade of blue for their kit. Currently dark blue, but many times previously something similar to Rangers or Chelsea. It should be noted that their rugby side do this also.

New Zealand football team wears all white I think but flag is predominantly blue with Union Flag making up part.

Nah, that's a myth, mate. The green colour is the colour of the German FA.

Yep totally untrue I'm sure it was Turkey they played first after the war as no other country would play them also Germany FA chose green as it was the colour of grass that football was played on (the latter may be a touch mythical) but in sure it was in the article I last read

Yep totally untrue I'm sure it was Turkey they played first after the war as no other country would play them also Germany FA chose green as it was the colour of grass that football was played on (the latter may be a touch mythical) but in sure it was in the article I last read
You’re right. It’s the colours of the German fa, they changed from red, Gold and black because they were too nationalistic. Green and white were chosen for the colour of grass and pitch lines.

When East and West Germany became one, the away shirt should have been the blue of the former East Germany.

Back