Why have Spurs not kicked on from reaching the Champions League final?

WinkieWATP

In recent seasons they have went close to being premier league champs and reached last seasons CL final. This season they have fell into mid table mediocracy. Poch was the best thing since sliced bread and now they have yesterdays main man in charge.

Think I heard they have won something like 4 of their last 24 away games in the epl also.

They weren’t a good team, them getting to the CL final overlooked the fact that they were average. Before Mourinho took over they only won something like 1 away game in 15 attempts in the league.

Same sort of story as arsenal I think down to the stadium move to new stadium 2004 final 2006? Never kicked on to be the top team of England

Reactions: Baz
They were lucky to get anywhere near the final to be honest. They have a team full of overrated players with Kane being the exception. Recruitment has been poor as usual with Levy and Mourinho will put them back at least 5 years as he is now a dinosaur in the world of modern management. Spurs along with Arsenal are nowhere near the top 4 level and will be replaced by Leicester and possibly Wolves/Newcastle dependant on investment.

A lot of their players probably have thought they will never get another chance like that again and the heads have dropped.

Liverpool were there for the taking in that final and I'm sure the spurs players eventually realised it after the game. It was a very poor final.

My mind went blank there when I was thinking of who the Spurs manager was. That in itself says a lot about the team.

The seem to be particularly soft as shit at the back. Usually Mourinho isn't so culpable of that, but they look piss poor there just now. And unlikely to see £40M+ players signed to rectify it.

In recent seasons they have went close to being premier league champs and reached last seasons CL final. This season they have fell into mid table mediocracy. Poch was the best thing since sliced bread and now they have yesterdays main man in charge.

Think I heard they have won something like 4 of their last 24 away games in the epl also.

Because they appointed an absolute fucking dinsosaur in mourinho

Like other folk have said, they haven't spent the kind of money on really top players but also they don't have a winning mentality or hunger.
Reaching the CL final provided great entertainment but they needed miraculous last minute goals on three or four occasions on that run.
Also, I think the writing was on the wall the year Leicester won. Leicester totally deserved it and won from the front but Spurs were coming up on the rails almost unnoticed but bottled it when they became the only challenger.

A lot of their players probably have thought they will never get another chance like that again and the heads have dropped.

Liverpool were there for the taking in that final and I'm sure the spurs players eventually realised it after the game. It was a very poor final.

That's crap, they were a stronger team when Redknapp had them, no matter how far they advanced last season, and earlier mention that they are not willing to spend a lot is ridiculous as Jose is on more now than Poch was on when he left, and Jose will not achieve a lot with them, the fact is it is a business, and Danny is,,,,,

I think that spurs have over achieved in the last 5 or 6 years. They are a glamour club but rarely win anything I think we’ll now see a period of mediocrity. fantastic stadium but the team plating in it will let them down in my opinion.

Lucky to get to CL Final.
Manager dropped the guy who got them there to play a not fully fit Harry Kane.
New stadium cost a fortune.
Owner not willing to compete in transfer market with ManU, ManC, Chelsea and others.

Who have they added since that match who improves their first XI? Nobody. They also sacked a manager the players absolutely loved for a guy who's now more known for his press conferences and his bad moods than his managerial abilities.

They also lost Eriksen who was the one who made them tick. Also moved to a new stadium, which tears the soul out of a club

The team were on their last legs last year anyway - needed refreshed at least a couple of years ago. Poch held it together despite not being given enough money. Ridiculous he was sacked, really. And here we are, a squad needing major surgery, a manager who’s past his best and only lasts 2 or 3 years anyway and a board unlikely to spend big. Great bars in the stadium mind you.

Got rid o the manager after an expected slump and rely far too much on Kane scoring about 85 goals a season to drag them along. Also carry too many players who only turn up 5 times a season.

Lucas Moura being prime example!

So was I mate, I generally don’t watch or care much about football bar Rangers but I was quite annoyed that night, absolute travesty, Ajax should’ve been out of sight though

The Ajax story that season was incredible. It was fairytale stuff. When Spurs knocked them out and it was just four English teams in the finals, it was more than just Ajax getting knocked out, it was a boot in the stones for the whole of European football. Ajax made folk feel like football could still throw up surprises and big teams could still triumph over shite with a bottomless pit of money.

After overachieving, they made the mad decision to sack Pochettino who had transformed them. Mourinho’s style will be different than what they’d been used to

They reached the final by the biggest sequence of luck in 60 minutes you'll ever see.

They were a shambles domestically in 2019

3 or 4 good players from being a top 4 side IMO.

Just going through the motions this year then hopefully start a fresh with Jose next season. Not having a back up to Kane was utter madness too.

Because Levy’s a baldy cùnt

Pretty much this. He got a great deal on Van der Vaart years ago by waiting until the last minutes of the transfer window and has tried to replicate that ever since - thinking he can get a deal even though average teams are paying £40-£50m for players.

Didn't refresh the squad with real quality when it was obvious that key players such as Rose and Dembele were physically done and got lucky that Pochettino managed to get the most out of what he had but that could only last so far. The few signings they have made have been poor too - Aurier, Sanchez, Moura. Lo Celso and N'Dombele looked like positive signings this year but haven't worked.

And then panicing by throwing a load of money in wages at Mourinho who is past it and always wants to spend big money. Insanity

It was a knock out tournament in which they were very lucky; not an indication of prospective future success as much as a fortunate set of results and fixtures.

Using the league is a better barometer.

Asking why they didn't kick on is as futile as asking why the 04 Monaco or 01 Leeds or 71 Panathinakos team didn't kick on.

Reactions: VGM
The Ajax story that season was incredible. It was fairytale stuff. When Spurs knocked them out and it was just four English teams in the finals, it was more than just Ajax getting knocked out, it was a boot in the stones for the whole of European football. Ajax made folk feel like football could still throw up surprises and big teams could still triumph over shite with a bottomless pit of money.
Definitely mate, they done it playing cracking football as well. Brazilian teams will always play decent “sexy” samba football but in my opinion when you get a decent Dutch national team or club team playing the Dutch way it’s the best brand of football you can watch!

Pochettino was performing miracles getting that squad competing for a few years considering how utterly average they are

When the squad ran out of steam they needed to back him and invest heavily

He had Spurs challenging with players like Winks Dier Davies Sissoko Alli Rose as key members of the squad

In a word.....

Mourinho

The buck has to stop with their chairman. Got rid of a perfectly capable manager in the hope of a quick fix. Always in the 2nd tier when it comes to transfers. I get the feeling he’s content to be a challenger and lacks the ambition to go all out for success.

Poch IMO is a great coach and it was almost impossible at the time to replace him with someone better. Spurs are rumoured to have a strict wage cap that restricts them from attracting the very top talent, if true then competing for the EPL is pie in the sky stuff.

They have massively overachieved in the last 5 years so a regression in the league placing is not unexpected. The interesting aspect is where will they be in 5 years from now? By all accounts their stadium could be a game changer financially, and that's all that matters in the EPL.

The stadium has skinned them and the club aren’t ambitious enough to pay the real top wages

The stadium doesn't actually cost a lot on the day to day "funds" of the club believe it or not. It's clever bookkeeping but it doesn't affect their profits too much each year which means they can still make reasonable funds available.

The biggest problem is their lack of ambition/stingyness IMO

Because they dont really have to. They pretend to be a big team but "as long as we're above arsenal " is the main objective. And they are pish

It’s the old EPL upper mid-table mantra.

Why spend big in the off chance of winning something when you can spend less and just finish 4th and make a shit ton of money.

I watched the FA cup final from 1987 when they lost to Coventry and their line up consisted of Waddle, Hoddle, Gough, Mabbutt, Clive Allen etc. Even back in the 80's they had some cracking teams and you cant help but think they should have been winning the league back then.

A lot of Spurs supporters down the years just accepted they were always going to be a Cup team good enough on the day to beat anyone just not good enough to do it week in week out.

The stadium doesn't actually cost a lot on the day to day "funds" of the club believe it or not. It's clever bookkeeping but it doesn't affect their profits too much each year which means they can still make reasonable funds available.

The biggest problem is their lack of ambition/stingyness IMO

This article explains their financial issues better.

Back