Why have Spurs not kicked on from reaching the Champions League final?

There are many reasons
Levy not willing to spend the cash
Aging defence with vertoghen and alderwerield
Never replaced walker
Never had a gd lb
Ali is over rated
Take son and kane out the team and they are a bottom half team with there current squad

Still gutted they beat Ajax to be honest. Watching Ajax that season in the champions league was a breath of fresh air, gave a few big teams bleachings. Liverpool v Ajax would have been a quality final.
Liverpool Ajax was the game the majority wanted to see. Spurs fluked into the final. Then the Bold Poch dropped the Fella who got them there to make way for a clearly unfit Kane. Deserved all that comes their way imo.

They look like a team that has simply gone stale. Plus Mourinho and Spurs were never a good fit - just don't see how that can work out in the long run.

Next season will be an interesting one for them as they need to freshen up that squad and get some hunger back or Kane will be offski.

Chronic lack of investment in the playing squad whilst teams around them invested heavily (even Arsenal, albeit badly!) has played a big role.

Have to pin some of the blame on Poch too - as time after time tinkered with the line ups in big games. Dropping an in form Moura for CL final is well documented, but he also made weird selections like starting Vorm (an awful goalie) instead of Lloris in an FA cup semi final against an off form Man Utd. Playing Son as a LWB in a back 5 in a few big games also baffling.

Mourinho has the pedigree and is a winner - but if they don't give him money, he'll struggle like Poch.

In all honesty they over achieved, they had one or two excellent players, but their best player Ericsson left, in truth spurs are a selling club, always have been, Greaves, Hoddle, Lineker, Gazza, Modric, Bale all of these players were sold at their peak, I am not blaming Spurs it is just the way football is and why they will always be a nearly club.

No way is it Mourinho's fault.

Slippery slope before then.

He has been there for 5 months effectively.

The stadium has skinned them and the club aren’t ambitious enough to pay the real top wages

People talk about lack of ambition. What it means for many people is overpaying for players using money you don’t really have and ending up in debt. And fans get all upset when their club isnt chucking money away on overpriced players and ending up with a bloated squad.

Real ambition is about building a squad over a period of time, accepting there will be bad periods, bringing through youth, getting the right players in, seeking good value in the transfer market, having faith in the manager and knowing when to sell players,

They were lucky to get anywhere near the final to be honest. They have a team full of overrated players with Kane being the exception. Recruitment has been poor as usual with Levy and Mourinho will put them back at least 5 years as he is now a dinosaur in the world of modern management. Spurs along with Arsenal are nowhere near the top 4 level and will be replaced by Leicester and possibly Wolves/Newcastle dependant on investment.

I think that's a bit of a bold statement. Obviously Arsenal and Spurs are in a transitional year after changing managers, but it's too early to write them off so soon. Arsenal especially have actually done ok since Arteta has came in, and are actually sitting 3rd in the form table since the start of 2020. If they get the signings they want in the summer, (a Partey like player in midfield, an Upemacano type defender to partner Saliba being positions of priority), that should see them kick on again.

Spurs is a more interesting one, as their form hasn't really picked up at all under the new manager. I think it's a combination of Poch's team overperforming at its peak, and the team naturally coming to the end of it's cycle. Think Mourinho has to do more work there.

As for the likes of Wolves and Leicester, both are good sides as they have proved this season, but the acid test comes when they have to start replacing players (or perhaps managers) they'll invariably lose over the next year or 2. It's hard enough to build your first good side when your clubs of that size, it's harder to keep them as competitive when you have to replace the better players.

Getting to the final was the high point for Poch's Spurs not the basis to kick on.

Ultimately he would have liked to have moved players on but knew he wouldn't get funds to replace them so had to persist with them.

I still maintain sacking a manager of that quality was complete madness - there's an element of you get what you deserve with Spurs.

I think the points and criticisms raised here could apply to most teams in the EPL with the exception of Man City and Liverpool.

3 main reason for me.

1) Terrible choice in the new manager, Mourinho is done at the top level.

2) Spending most of there money on the new ground.

3) Refuseing to buy a 2nd top st, even though Kane is aways injured.

They've not won the league in 60 years, not won the FA Cup in 30 years, not won the League Cup in over a decade, and not won a European trophy in 35 years.

Quite simply, they are not winners.

They have a loser's mentality.

This article explains their financial issues better.

That's a good read that.

I remember looking at their P&L when their last accounts were released and have probably fallen into the same trap as many others and not thought about the practical cash flow.

Sacking an excellent manager and bringing in a lunatic like Mourinho hasn't helped.

I think the fact both managers have completely different philosophies on playing styles etc which means they will likely want totally different personnel, at a time when they obviously don't have the cash for big or several fees, is more mental than the actual sacking itself. If he'd brought someone in fresh to replace poch, with similar playing style, it would have worked better IMO.

Liverpool Ajax was the game the majority wanted to see. Spurs fluked into the final. Then the Bold Poch dropped the Fella who got them there to make way for a clearly unfit Kane. Deserved all that comes their way imo.
Ajax would’ve made much more of a game of it in the final as well

Ajax would’ve made much more of a game of it in the final as well
Maybe it's me but I got the feeling Spurs played a style Not to lose and nick it on the break. That Ajax team would have given it a proper go from the first whistle. That's what I think. Might be talking Shite tho.

In recent seasons they have went close to being premier league champs and reached last seasons CL final. This season they have fell into mid table mediocracy. Poch was the best thing since sliced bread and now they have yesterdays main man in charge.

Think I heard they have won something like 4 of their last 24 away games in the epl also.

Their board. Idiots. Poch with a bit more backing would have won them trophies no two ways about that. Instead sack him and hire a problematic tit who’s ego is bigger than any football club that plays the most depressing brand of football known to man.

When poch goes on (hopefully to a newly owned Newcastle) Hel show spurs board up for the idiots they are.

Current problem is their manager.

Just not the choice for a young squad looking to play nice football.

The sooner he gets into international football, the better for his legacy.

Levy was lucky to get Poch when he did. Poch covered up Levy’s tightness by building a decent team for a lot less than most spent in the league. (Liecester aside.)
Sadly Levy believed the hype that he had superstar players and sacked his real superstar in Poch. Spurs are going to go all West Ham on us shortly, beaten by dross, and settling for draws v Liverpool, City, Utd.

They blew their one chance to win the league in 2016. Expect them to finish in the Europa League places for the foreseeable future.

Back