Why is it 5 subs allowed in the cup but only 3 in the league?

dunn1872

Official Ticketer
Discussing this at the game tonight but didn't know why. Surely just keep it 5 subs across all competitions?

I'm sure it was because it started in preseason and made it easier to manage games in the early league rounds of the cup. Less injuries and the like.

It was left to the each League to decide, not enough votes for Premiership, Championship & League 1 but 5 in League 2

League Cup - it is a SPFL decision
Scottish Cup - 3 is a Scottish FA decision
I dont mind a difference between league and cups but I do find it strange that each league can and does have different rules. Surely there should be parity across the pyramid. I appreciate its the SFA/SPFL we're dealing with here, though.

I like the 5 sub rule. Most of the folks around Europe seem to have kept it. No idea why British football seems to have declined it.

Part of the argument against it, is that clubs such as Rangers (or Celtic) will generally have a stronger squad and therefore, we could bring on 5 players of a similar quality to the starting 11. Most other clubs in Scotland would have to play youngsters to make up the subs.

I wouldnt be against having the 5 subs but perhaps of those, you need to have 2 Academy players. At least in that way, the likes of NP, Kelly, King, McCann could get a few minutes towards the end of a match we are winning comfortably.

It is the one area where I would love to see Gerrard being less rigid. As a minimum, i would have hoped that Stephen Kelly would have been on the bench last night and given Steven Davis the night off.

Part of the argument against it, is that clubs such as Rangers (or Celtic) will generally have a stronger squad and therefore, we could bring on 5 players of a similar quality to the starting 11. Most other clubs in Scotland would have to play youngsters to make up the subs.

I wouldnt be against having the 5 subs but perhaps of those, you need to have 2 Academy players. At least in that way, the likes of NP, Kelly, King, McCann could get a few minutes towards the end of a match we are winning comfortably.

It is the one area where I would love to see Gerrard being less rigid. As a minimum, i would have hoped that Stephen Kelly would have been on the bench last night and given Steven Davis the night off.
That’s won’t bring that rule in as they had something similar with the U21 rule back in the mid 2000s and they got rid of it due to opposition from the managers.

I watched the game when I got home late last night , I was a bit tired but could have sworn we brought on 5 subs , on 4 separate occasions !
what am I missing here ?

Pretty comical that the governing bodies of Scottish football can't even after on something as simple as the number of substitutes.

Similar argument could be made regarding bringing on a goalkeeper if yours is sent off. We’ll at least we have two top class keeper’s

Pep had been complaining down south about not allowing 5 subs and saying it’s stunting the chances of youths getting a chance.

Both Dundee clubs used 4 at the weekend.
Concussion subs?
Noticed that on sunday too.

Also 4 occasions for subs on both sides too when it was only 3 last season.
Substitution, Dundee United. Kieran Freeman replaces Kerr Smith because of an injury.
Substitution, Dundee. Liam Fontaine replaces Ryan Sweeney because of an injury

From the text commentary

The fact injury is listed might mean concussion? Never saw the game

Similar argument could be made regarding bringing on a goalkeeper if yours is sent off. We’ll at least we have two top class keeper’s

Pep had been complaining down south about not allowing 5 subs and saying it’s stunting the chances of youths getting a chance.
Oh the irony from. a cheque book manager , he wouldn’t even use youth , or if was “youth” be some £30m signing from Spain who 21

Substitution, Dundee United. Kieran Freeman replaces Kerr Smith because of an injury.
Substitution, Dundee. Liam Fontaine replaces Ryan Sweeney because of an injury

From the text commentary

The fact injury is listed might mean concussion? Never saw the game
Going back to the previous week, Simpson for Helander is the same and we know that wasn't concussion.

Is there a rule for a concussion substitute? I've seen it mentioned before as something that should be introduced but wasn't aware if it had been.

Going back to the previous week, Simpson for Helander is the same and we know that wasn't concussion.

Is there a rule for a concussion substitute? I've seen it mentioned before as something that should be introduced but wasn't aware if it had been.
Yes there is rule now for concussion substitute/s

Section G22 if you want to read it

Back