Why Jack and Kamara works for us

I agree with a lot you have said OP. The only gripe I have with the pair of them is they can linger on the ball a bit too much. More urgency to get it forward would be welcome. Kamara is a great technical player with power and I would also like to see him drive forward with it a bit more often, he certainly has the ability.

Jack & Davis yes
Jack & kamara, nope
Kamara is like waiting for paint to dry in the rain

It wasn’t the switch from Kamara to Davis on Saturday that made the difference it was a clear instruction from the Manager to push up further, attempt more long range efforts and up the tempo. Kamara could have played the role at least as well, if not better, than Davis. Had he been instructed to do so. Different game entirely to Livi. All IMHO of course mate.

Genuinely astounds me how some think Ryan jack “runs the show” in our midfield.

I think we’ll continue to come second best in the league if Ryan jack is our main man in midfield.
I’m not against him staying in the starting 11 but we really need a player that’s a level above starting alongside him.

It wasn’t the switch from Kamara to Davis on Saturday that made the difference it was a clear instruction from the Manager to push up further, attempt more long range efforts and up the tempo. Kamara could have played the role at least as well, if not better, than Davis. Had he been instructed to do so. Different game entirely to Livi. All IMHO of course mate.
Maybe he could, If he could be arsed

he looks like he’s got all the time in the world.
Slow slow slow
Sideways, sideways
Or Pass it back to jack.

davis made a clear difference on sat imo.
Davis has got more of an eye for a fwd pass

Maybe he could, If he could be arsed

he looks like he’s got all the time in the world.
Slow slow slow
Sideways, sideways
Or Pass it back to jack.

davis made a clear difference on sat imo.
Davis has got more of an eye for a fwd pass

Our views on Kamara are clearly miles apart. :oops:I will leave it at that.

With Davis in the side, Jack looks a more assured player tbh.

However, we need to upgrade on Jack and lesser extent Kamara considerably to be in with a genuine chance this season.

I think most folk can see what Jack and Kamara's roles are and what that does for the team.

However, the questions for me are whether we need two central midfielders behind the ball, or whether we can change one of the roles to a more offensive one?

Or, do we need to recruit a player(s) with a better range of passing to play in the specific role(s)?

It’s not just the cautious side passing. It’s the passing up of slightly riskier but more attacking options which would have us threatening more quickly in forward positions before the opposition have set their shape. It’s being not prepared to hit a pass first time. It’s not driving into space in front of you to draw a man and open things up. A fraction of a second delay and the opportunity to put the opposition on the back foot has gone. Very narrow margins are the difference between being pedestrian and creative. Then again it might be that general all round awareness of the players is limited. I think Kamara has it more than Jack but opts for safety. I think they are both very useful midfielders to have but if we are to win the league we need an upgrade, preferably two who are automatic first picks.

Kamara has had a good season but he can't pass the ball forward like Davis can. That will come with time. Gerrard said that was the reason Davis was in the team.

Jack and kamara partnership is good and I’m sure they’ll play together a lot this season but for me Davis is our most accomplished midfielder and should be first pick when fully fit I would say though that one game a week should be maximum for Stevie also I do think we need one more midfielder of the same ilk with maybe a few more goals in him than the aforementioned trio but that looks like it’s dependent on Alfredo leaving

Jack and kamara partnership is good and I’m sure they’ll play together a lot this season but for me Davis is our most accomplished midfielder and should be first pick when fully fit I would say though that one game a week should be maximum for Stevie also I do think we need one more midfielder of the same ilk with maybe a few more goals in him than the aforementioned trio but that looks like it’s dependent on Alfredo leaving
Here: .... ,,,,,

During and immediately after the Livi game I was of the opinion like a lot of folk that we didn’t need them both for this type of game but I think our problem was a lack of urgency and tempo throughout the whole team. Just look at the difference after half time against Killie, we were immediately far more dangerous and scored quickly. That is the answer against teams who sit in as all they have is discipline and shape but less technical ability to handle much better players playing at pace in their faces. This is nothing new and it has baffled me for years how we can’t play at a higher tempo consistently when our players play better and seem to enjoy it more too.

During and immediately after the Livi game I was of the opinion like a lot of folk that we didn’t need them both for this type of game but I think our problem was a lack of urgency and tempo throughout the whole team. Just look at the difference after half time against Killie, we were immediately far more dangerous and scored quickly. That is the answer against teams who sit in as all they have is discipline and shape but less technical ability to handle much better players playing at pace in their faces. This is nothing new and it has baffled me for years how we can’t play at a higher tempo consistently when our players play better and seem to enjoy it more too.
All about tempo and speed of play in the transition from defence to attack when these teams will be most vulnerable.

Kamara has absolutely no idea what to do with the ball in the final third, gets rid of it like a hot potato. Come to think of it I can't remember him ever taking a shot.
He would struggle to even make the mentally challengeds bench,he had the ball on the edge of the Livingston box and what did he do passed it sideways,the cunts useless,too many fans spunking themselves over Kamara,he's a Hibs or Aberdeen player at best in my opinion!

He would struggle to even make the mentally challengeds bench,he had the ball on the edge of the Livingston box and what did he do passed it sideways,the cunts useless,too many fans spunking themselves over Kamara,he's a Hibs or Aberdeen player at best in my opinion!

Some people on here were wanting more than £10m for him last week. Mental.

In the 5 games he's played against Celtic, he's dominated their midfield 4 times. Dominated to the extent that they've managed 1 shot on target in 3 of those 5 games. Aberdeen or Hibs players don't do that. He's done a hell of a lot more against them since joining than any of their midfielders have done against us.

He's also a full international who's heading to the European Championships next summer as a first pick for his country. That applies for none of Celtic's midfield.

He does need to pick more forward passes but virtually every world class midfielder around plays the 'safe option' the majority of the time until it opens up ahead of them. Those that take too many risks and constantly turn over possession don't make it anywhere near the top. Unless you're Messi who can take on 3 players and drive with it every time you receive it.

He's been part of the Rangers midfield that's dominated their midfield in 5 of the last 6 games.

What a lot of shite.

The bottom line is that Gerrard watched it clearly not working against Livingston, and made the changes to personnel, system and (evidently) attitude that helped us to a comfy win.

The bottom line is that Gerrard watched it clearly not working against Livingston, and made the changes to personnel, system and (evidently) attitude that helped us to a comfy win.

What changes? He swapped Davis in for Kamara, had Jack do almost all of the covering and they played the same positions: Jack covering the fullback, Davis sat midway in their half. It was a different player playing the same role. The fact we played with 2 forwards, a load more movement up front and total domination were the difference, not a like for like change in the middle.

I think Davis is our best central midfielder,'but he ended up being overplayed last season and there will be regular rotation between him, Jack, Kamara and to a lesser extent Arfield this season.
Hopefully there will be a new arrival in that area of the park too.

I think though the fact that he changed 3 out of his 4 attacking options (Morelos, Arfield, Hagi) from Livingston and replaced them with Itten, Roofe and Barker v Killie, shows you what area of the park concerned him most against Livi.

What changes? He swapped Davis in for Kamara, had Jack do almost all of the covering and they played the same positions: Jack covering the fullback, Davis sat midway in their half. It was a different player playing the same role. The fact we played with 2 forwards, a load more movement up front and total domination were the difference, not a like for like change in the middle.

I’m amazed anyone can watch Killie and claim that the two midfielders were playing exactly the same way they played against Livi.

Jack spent more time in front of Livi’s back four picking passes than he did covering the fullback, it was a quite clear change to the system for me.

Davis got forward less, but that second half especially, they were both much more positive.

I’m amazed anyone can watch Killie and claim that the two midfielders were playing exactly the same way they played against Livi.

Jack spent more time in front of Livi’s back four picking passes than he did covering the fullback, it was a quite clear change to the system for me.

Davis got forward less, but that second half especially, they were both much more positive.

It is not that they were more forward against Killie, it is that they were not more withdrawn against Livi. I’m not on my computer, but the heat maps are easy to find and identical, other than Davis carried out the Jack role and Jack did most of what Kamara did the week before.

Saying one of them covers the fullback position does not mean they sit static in that position, they move forwards like a traditional fullback would but remain in position to get back.

It is not that they were more forward against Killie, it is that they were not more withdrawn against Livi. I’m not on my computer, but the heat maps are easy to find and identical, other than Davis carried out the Jack role and Jack did most of what Kamara did the week before.

Saying one of them covers the fullback position does not mean they sit static in that position, they move forwards like a traditional fullback would but remain in position to get back.

The average position map was telling, against Livi both Kamara and Jack were sitting next to each other (think their markers overlapped) 3 yards ahead of the halfway line.

I think it was clear that they were both a lot more positive in terms of positions and (for most of the game) passing as well, they were looking to go forward nearly every time instead of the side to side or backwards nonsense we seen at Livingston.

The average position map was telling, against Livi both Kamara and Jack were sitting next to each other (think their markers overlapped) 3 yards ahead of the halfway line.

I think it was clear that they were both a lot more positive in terms of positions and (for most of the game) passing as well, they were looking to go forward nearly every time instead of the side to side or backwards nonsense we seen at Livingston.

You just entirely made that first paragraph up :D

Against Livi Kamara’s heat map ran mostly up the left wing, from the half way line to the edge of their box. Jack’s sat around the edge of the centre circle in the middle. Against Kiliie, Davis’ was where Jack’s was and Jack’s where Kamara’s was.

edited because I over-egged Kamara's to be honest and he did more work in the middle than I suggested. He was still clearly left for large parts of the game.

Last edited:
Back