Why Japans goal was allowed to stand.

If that situation had occurred on the goal line, and a defender cleared it, does anyone think that a goal wouldn't have been given?

I'm bemused that so many are losing their shit over a correct decision. I though at the time the whole ball had not crossed the line and modern technology has proven that to be the case. End of.

That in the past the decision would have intuitively and wrongly be given the other way in the absence of video assistance matters not. In the past Japan would wrongly have been knocked out having scored a perfectly good goal. So it takes a few hours for FIFA to publish a pic that proves for once they aren't lying. So what. The right decision was made. The right team went through.

The decision was made in the stadium, at the time it took place. People who don't understand the concept of the ball being spherical spent the rest of their night crying about grainy screenshots from TV, when the correct decision was made immediately in the stadium.
A bit like the people who don't understand the concept that some people can happily accept the ball was in, but still think VAR is a ham fisted shitshow.

That's alot of words to explain / justify ignorance of the laws.

It doesn't matter how many games you've watched over the years. The law has been like that forever.

You won't change the arguments about tight decisions like this based on whether the bottom of the ball is touching the line as it sits on the grass.

The same millimetres issue will come up with people arguing whether the bottom of the curvature of the ball is touching the line or not

Just like with off-side when they're saying "it's only millimetres and his shoulder is playing him on" when they're wanting daylight between the players to be the law, the argument would just move on to whether there was a mm of daylight or not.

Like I said, people just seem incapable of accepting a decision and have to justify it (even visible evidence presented to them) to suit their own argument.

Meanwhile in the Germany game... ref decided this was still in play lol

WhatsApp-Image-2022-12-01-at-9.12.27-PM.jpg
Think we need a bird’s eye angle first before we can come to a conclusion on that.

If you watch Davis shot , the angle from Davis viewpoint as he strikes it, it’s going in. It takes not one but two very slight deflections off Frankfurt defenders, one last touch is enough to deflect it over the bar. If it doesn’t take the touches off either defender, that ball is going in. 100%. Davis struck it perfectly.

The fact the referee/linesman didn’t give a corner but gave a goal kick , adds fuel to the idea that they assumed the ball was out when Roofe got to it. Only other explanation is they missed two pretty obvious deflections on Davis shot and thought it went clean over.

It just wasn’t meant to be. Frankfurt got the millimetres at that moment and in the shootout which decided it.
Spot on BB
I've watched it a few times and that shot was goal bound and would have been sensational if it weren't for the slightest of deflection's .Definitely was a corner .

Recently in a German league game a player stopped the ball on the touchline, not the whole ball over but nearly, oppo player lifts it up for a throw in. Free kick given. Whole ball not 95% from a young age, like play to the whistle.

I genuinely find it staggering that FIFA have managed to make VAR more confusing, ill defined and random than simply having a ref on the pitch.
Except in this case it is black and white.

You are almost right Ted. The problem is, football has never been refereed from the sky. No one on a football field has that view of the game! Every official looking at that, calls it out. Simple truth. Now FIFA need to rewrite the rules to allow VAR goal-line technology to intervene on whether the ball is in or out, and every ground that uses VAR must have technology in the sky to show the overhead view like happened here. That is the only way it becomes black and white.

There is a lack of communication between VAR decisions and the public, it seems deliberateas well. Which is a problem when youve got a tournament being watched by hundreds of millions of people round the world.
I kind of agree with you. In a tourney where we all have doubts about the veracity of why it is there, everything needed to be crystal clear, and with so many cameras around the stadium, why couldn't it be? That they have made a sketchy tournament seem even more uncertain it poor from FIFA. There is no excuse not to clear up decisions.

Meanwhile in the Germany game... ref decided this was still in play lol

WhatsApp-Image-2022-12-01-at-9.12.27-PM.jpg
Referee selection must be in question towards the level of experience required or its a different game we are all watching, the world of woke, cancel and equality is the way forward, hunks

The woman on BBC news this morning was going on about the offside rule being difficult to understand and now we have this.

From an early age you're taught the full ball must be over the line. I don't see how this is news worthy at all.
Exactly.

The only discussion can be about whether the entire ball was or wasn't.

Personally, if I was German, I'd be severely pissed off. I think it was out.

In fact, even as a Scotsman I was pissed off, as anything that might piss of Tenko FC at Parkpaed I'm up for it.

Nah, I think people accepting that the computer can probably tell quicker and better than their naked eye would be more beneficial.

It was quite farcical last night listening to people scream that the ball was out with literally no basis for their claim.

There appears to be a real issue with people accepting things these days.

"but he's only a millimetre off-side"

So he's off-side then. It appears people cannot accept decisions these days. Before VAR, they could console themselves with the idea that (despite being wrong) no one was proving their incorrectness.

Now, when there's actual facts showing them up, they don't like it.
What sanctimonious garbage! Only a computer shot from above proves that right, and no one in any football match has that view of the game ever, and few stadiums in the world have enough cameras in position to give that pic. There was ample evidence to every fan around the world to "scream that the ball was out".

I think there's a much 'wider' issue here (pun intended)
If I understand the Guardian article above correctly - the visible image as seen by the naked eye - & even the camera image as seen from head height- the ball appears to be wholly over the line
Only when overhead cameras at obviously quite considerable height- does it show something approaching the contrary

The decision (rightly or
wrongly) has been made in favour of the overhead camera -

As all players & officials use their eyes to play the game & are only able to react to what they actually see in front of them - whether their eyes deceive them or not- what happens now ? Are they going to be coached on how to play to an overhead camera view ? Will decisions taken on the basis of naked eye evidence become redundant or be subject to relentless checks from above

The absolute trust in technology we're
adopting has me thinking that I hope the
technology is up to it
Are we going to use satellite images soon - will that be high enough ?
This instance alone shows that separate camera angles gets you at least two separate conclusions

I couldn't care less about this instance - but we all know we're going to affected by something similar sooner or later

Oh & by the way - IMO - something smells like $hite in all of this

To me the ball went out.
I've watched it over & over & just because of the perspective of it it was allowed.
Looks miles out & if we're giving that the games in trouble.
Imagine this happening in an OF

Without VAR the goal is disallowed and the Germans go through and Japan are on the next flight home.

Real-time I don’t think anyone thought the ball was still in, however applying the Laws of the game, the ball was in and Japan got the goal they deserved.

Proves that overall VAR is good for the game as it helps support major decisions.

I think there's a much 'wider' issue here (pun intended)
If I understand the Guardian article above correctly - the visible image as seen by the naked eye - & even the camera image as seen from head height- the ball appears to be wholly over the line
Only when overhead cameras at obviously quite considerable height- does it show something approaching the contrary

The decision (rightly or
wrongly) has been made in favour of the overhead camera -

As all players & officials use their eyes to play the game & are only able to react to what they actually see in front of them - whether their eyes deceive them or not- what happens now ? Are they going to be coached on how to play to an overhead camera view ? Will decisions taken on the basis of naked eye evidence become redundant or be subject to relentless checks from above

The absolute trust in technology we're
adopting has me thinking that I hope the
technology is up to it
Are we going to use satellite images soon - will that be high enough ?
This instance alone shows that separate camera angles gets you at least two separate conclusions

I couldn't care less about this instance - but we all know we're going to affected by something similar sooner or later

Oh & by the way - IMO - something smells like $hite in all of this
And what happens when the machines take over just like in Terminator ! Who's going to argue their case against them?

I genuinely find it staggering that FIFA have managed to make VAR more confusing, ill defined and random than simply having a ref on the pitch.
Whats confusing about it? The ball wasn't fully out, so it's a goal, and rightly so. If VAR wasn't there then a correct goal would have been ruled out and the Japanese would have incorrectly been papped out the world cup.

It's done it's job fairly well if you ask me.

It's not FIFAs fault if there's zoomers out there that don't realise a sphere is a 3 dimensionsal object.

Whats confusing about it? The ball wasn't fully out, so it's a goal, and rightly so. If VAR wasn't there then a correct goal would have been ruled out and the Japanese would have incorrectly been papped out the world cup.

It's done it's job fairly well if you ask me.

It's not FIFAs fault if there's zoomers out there that don't realise a sphere is a 3 dimensionsal object.
I’m not disputing that the ball was in play or that they came to the correct decision. My point still stands.

Without VAR the goal is disallowed and the Germans go through and Japan are on the next flight home.

Real-time I don’t think anyone thought the ball was still in, however applying the Laws of the game, the ball was in and Japan got the goal they deserved.

Proves that overall VAR is good for the game as it helps support major decisions.
Football has never been fair in the sense that teams get what they deserve so arguinging that Japan got the goal they deserved doesn’t cut it I’m afraid. It’s either a legitimate goal or it isn’t. A lot of people are still unconvinced that the Japanese goal last night was legit and that’s despite the images FIFA produced today.
Incidentally, I am in favour of VAR but there are still simply too many questionable decisions. Last night’s is one of those.

Football has never been fair in the sense that teams get what they deserve so arguinging that Japan got the goal they deserved doesn’t cut it I’m afraid. It’s either a legitimate goal or it isn’t. A lot of people are still unconvinced that the Japanese goal last night was legit and that’s despite the images FIFA produced today.
Incidentally, I am in favour of VAR but there are still simply too many questionable decisions. Last night’s is one of those.
Technology has proven that it was a legit goal - don’t see how you can argue against that just because it “looked out”. Japan therefore got what they deserved.

Technology has proven that it was a legit goal - don’t see how you can argue against that just because it “looked out”. Japan therefore got what they deserved.
As far as technology proving that it was a goal there is still reason for doubt as the technology is open to interpretation by those operating it. That’s why Argentina got their penalty the other night. No way did VAR show it to be a penalty but it nevertheless was given as one.

Last edited:
So you could have a foot thick line?

It would look stupid, but again, the only part of the line that matters is the outer edge.
I don't know if there's a rule on the thickness but a one foot thick line wouldn't make a difference to the field dimensions.

Last edited:
What sanctimonious garbage! Only a computer shot from above proves that right, and no one in any football match has that view of the game ever, and few stadiums in the world have enough cameras in position to give that pic. There was ample evidence to every fan around the world to "scream that the ball was out".
!

We all know that technology is not foolproof! What would happen if when playing the world Cup final' VAR crashes or Is hacked mid way through the game?
Would they just carry on regardless!
And hope the officials can still do their job?

This is now making me feel a bit sick about that Kent miss right at the end in Seville. Had written it off because the ball looked out before Roofe crossed it but not so sure now...

I would have dearly loved Kent to have given the VAR judges a decision to make on that night.

Anything more than half the ball crosses the line in Scotland then the linesman flags every time without fail. - Hope someone updates them after this decision.
Exactly right. Something which frequently annoys me. I'm sure there a great number of times when the wrong decision is given because of this. One day there will be technology which monitors all the lines, similar to tennis, and it's an automatic in or out with no delays needed.

Back