Why no Dutch.

Penilee Gers

I was sure Gio and his backroom staff would have picked out a few Dutch players who had potential and were young and maybe just one player with experience from the Eredevise . The players we have brought in look good up to now Tillman Colak Lawrence and Matondo no complaints here but when you see the figures that young dutch players eventually go for i would have liked one .

It’s a suprise for sure but it’s the way we operate our transfers. While the manager will have an opinion, ultimately transfer targets arent gio s decision. All part of succession planning

If rumours are true we were heavily linked to xavi simons and he was considering it but we would go to what his wages were which was in excess of 30k a week....... he will be a star but its a lot for someone so young with our league

I was sure Gio and his backroom staff would have picked out a few Dutch players who had potential and were young and maybe just one player with experience from the Eredevise . The players we have brought in look good up to now Tillman Colak Lawrence and Matondo no complaints here but when you see the figures that young dutch players eventually go for i would have liked one .
We sign the players we need for what we deem to be of value.

Shouldnt be signing players based on where the backroom staff are from.

I wonder if some will ever get over Veerman :D No doubt a talent but the boy gets homesick going for his messages. I think we dodged a bullet there tbh.

I think we did at least show a serious interest in a couple, never worked out though.

The Dutch are notoriously cliquey. Might have been alright had we bought one or maybe two, anymore than that and i don't think it would have been a great idea anyway.

I see it as a good thing, personally. I don't want us to be at the mercy of a manager when it comes to identifying and signing players, as such.

I also believe the Dutch players out there who would genuinely improve us are probably a little bit too expensive overall, and some others we did approach (Doekhi, Bazoer) decided to go elsewhere.

I’m definitely glad there’s not been a few signed as they are notoriously cliquey. Surprised there’s not been any though, maybe it’s just there’s none representing value and fitting in with Gios requirements more than those already brought in according to the staff at the club.

I’m glad there’s none signed just because they are Dutch.

Probably better that we don't have any Dutch players to be honest.

Our management team is Dutch. As soon as a Dutch player was playing poorly and wasn't dropped it would be due to favouritism according to most on here.

Like the above posts have already mentioned - we may well have been after players in the Dutch League - including ones we don't know about- but they have fallen through for whatever reason

Another thing that's possible is we've got our eye on others & are waiting for their contracts to run down - maybe a pre-contract agreement coming in the next window for example ?

The recruitment strategy shouldn't come from the Manager / Coach or you end up in a scattergun Man Utd situation. We have a full scouting / recruitement / analysis department who's job it is to identify targets.

OP's spent the summer painting his hoose bright orange and growing a Ruud Gullit barnet & moustache, started schmoking weed and drinking Heineken. All for nothing. FFS Gio!
I think he just wants his own Bosvelt!

Quite simply the manager isn't responsible for identifying targets. He can ask the scouting network to find a player for a certain position and then they come back with a list of realistic targets which he will have a final say in but he's not going to Ross Wilson and saying I want this player or that player. We don't operate that way anymore

The answer is quite simply we are a modern football club with a director of football. We were never going to buy up all the Dutch talent for gio. The targets we will have will have been being sourced by Ross Wilson and the recruitment team long before gio arrived in the building more than likely.

The DOF model means that you can drop a coach into the system and it shouldn’t need ripping up and starting again.

I think if the right player came along and was Dutch we'd do what we could to get him.

In my opinion there's a couple factors. First one is Ross Wilson and the scouting group is ultimately the deciding force on who we'll sign. Next is the Dutch league for players of quality is not the cheapest about. Guys we like are maybe out of our range or would rather stay in Netherlands or goto Germany or France etc

I don't think we're targeting nationality at all these days

Latest posts

Back