Why no Dutch.

I thought about this, and think it is a reflection on a couple of things. New managers tend to get someone in that they can trust, and they tend to be the same nationality, Walters second spell he brought in Weir. It was more the player than the nationality.

However here he has a pretty solid leadership group already in place so no need. Also budget, might have to use too much for a Dutch player so would rather not.

I'm pretty sure Gio's inside knowledge of Dutch Football will generate signings soon enough but the opportunity to make it happen just hasn't presented itself.

Every window is huge nowadays and Gio will already have ideas for next Summer, some of those will be Dutch or Dutch based players.

Are you seriously suggesting the manager shouldn't have a say in the players he wants playing at the club?
He’ll have a say, but if Ross Wilson identified 6 targets for left back and none of them were Dutch for example, then it’s unlikely Gio is going to kick off at that fact when sitting down reviewing the list.

Generally speaking in modern football Managers and coaches aren’t responsible for recruitment.

They’ll identify the positions they think they need and then it’s down to the recruitment team to identify and put players to them.

Don't think that is accurate.

Managers still have a huge say in recruitment, these days they have much bigger teams of people to help them (Directors of football and scouts etc.) but the mangers still have a huge influence over what players are signed.

As other people have mentioned Dutch teams generally have much more money than Scottish teams so it is really difficult to compete with them and sign promising youngsters.

Generally speaking in modern football Managers and coaches aren’t responsible for recruitment.

They’ll identify the positions they think they need and then it’s down to the recruitment team to identify and put players to them.
If a manager indentifys a position and knows his own player he wants for that position it’s more than likely the club would sign him if it’s within budget if the club are backing the manager

I can’t see this being the case with top managers at top clubs.
The recruitment teams will do the groundwork but the manager will have final say.
It’s his head that’s on the block here, his legacy, his career.

I was sure Gio and his backroom staff would have picked out a few Dutch players who had potential and were young and maybe just one player with experience from the Eredevise . The players we have brought in look good up to now Tillman Colak Lawrence and Matondo no complaints here but when you see the figures that young dutch players eventually go for i would have liked one .
We don’t play in the junior league mate. This isn’t a job for pals scenario. Gio will set the profile for each position and the recruitment team will come back with the best player available at a reasonable price.

I think we have great evidence on who has the final say on player transfers when Gerrard overruled the advice from the recruitment/scouting team on Lundstram.

If someone English can operate better than someone Dutch in our system and the profile set, that is who we will try and sign.

Find it interesting we've been linked with a few Turks of late, on top of signing Yilmaz. That's a market that gets used by quite a few Dutch clubs.

That said, I'm not really shocked he's not flooded the dressing room with Dutch players tbh. It's an expensive market and good Dutch players cost a lot of money. It's not the late 90s/early 2000s anymore, the switch between the Eredivisie and the SPFL would be viewed as a step down in many quarters.

For me it really is as simple that I don’t see Gio as a stereotypical Dutch manager. He seems a bit more pragmatic and willing to change tactics/formations at times which is something you don’t often associate with Dutch coaches.

Dutch coaches (stereotypically) tend to be rigid 4-3-3, total football and “if plan A doesn’t work then do plan A better”. It’s probably quite simplistic but that’s how it seems.

I would imagine that when Gio arrived at the club there was already a thorough database of players scouted and recommended to Ross Wilson and his football department. Bearing in mind some of these players on the database will probably go back to when Mark Allen was around too. As others have mentioned a lot of the top Dutch players in their top league are snapped up by the top teams in far higher profile and wealthier leagues than the SPFL, notably EPL, La Liga and Serie A. We as a club can no longer compete with the transfer monies offered by these wealthier clubs. You also have to remember most of their top talent would never consider moving to play in our backwater league despite the strong global brand that Glasgow Rangers have and no matter how much money we threw at them. It’s as much about career progression move as well as money for these players when at that level When we were fortunate to have Dick Advocaat as manager he had the profile to attract an established top world class Dutch player such as Arthur Newman and that was an exception. These days will never return sadly.

I would imagine that when Gio arrived at the club there was already a thorough database of players scouted and recommended to Ross Wilson and his football department. Bearing in mind some of these players on the database will probably go back to when Mark Allen was around too. As others have mentioned a lot of the top Dutch players in their top league are snapped up by the top teams in far higher profile and wealthier leagues than the SPFL, notably EPL, La Liga and Serie A. We as a club can no longer compete with the transfer monies offered by these wealthier clubs. You also have to remember most of their top talent would never consider moving to play in our backwater league despite the strong global brand that Glasgow Rangers have and no matter how much money we threw at them. It’s as much about career progression move as well as money for these players when at that level When we were fortunate to have Dick Advocaat as manager he had the profile to attract an established top world class Dutch player such as Arthur Newman and that was an exception. These days will never return sadly.

We’ve signed players from Bayern Munich, Liverpool and Besiktas this summer.

We tried but they went to other clubs. Like Veerman for example.

Dutch clubs like PSV can pay more than we can, that's it basically.
Right, but also, didn’t Veerman balk at a move outside Holland? Wasn’t there a German team also looking at him and he said he’d rather stay in country?

We’ve signed players from Bayern Munich, Liverpool and Besiktas this summer.
Yes but you are missing the point. These players that we have signed Tillman (a few games for Bayern full team) Davies (never played an actual game for Liverpool and was loaned out to Sheffield Utd) and the lad from Besiktas are not high profile names. When we signed Arthur Newman from PSV he was already high profile in Europe and he turned down a top La Liga team and much more money to join us on the strength of his long standing relationship with Advocaat…it was well documented at the time as it was a coup for Rangers and our league. All I’m saying is that will never be repeated in the current football economic climate that prevails.

Yes but you are missing the point. These players that we have signed Tillman (a few games for Bayern full team) Davies (never played an actual game for Liverpool and was loaned out to Sheffield Utd) and the lad from Besiktas are not high profile names. When we signed Arthur Newman from PSV he was already high profile in Europe and he turned down a top La Liga team and much more money to join us on the strength of his long standing relationship with Advocaat…it was well documented at the time as it was a coup for Rangers and our league. All I’m saying is that will never be repeated in the current football economic climate that prevails.

I’m not missing the point.

We were able to sign those guys at the time because we were paying massive wages, either on par with the top leagues or not far off it.

If you think guys like Numan, Gio, Kanchelskis and Klos were signing for us because of the love of the club then you’re naive in the extreme.

We’ll never see players of that calibre or stature sign for us again, there’s no point in comparing the different eras.

Right, but also, didn’t Veerman balk at a move outside Holland? Wasn’t there a German team also looking at him and he said he’d rather stay in country?
Veerman chose to stay in Holland for personal reasons (to be closer to his parents I believe) not football reasons as anyone who follows football knows that the Bundesliga is a far higher profile and better quality league than the Eredivisie (several levels above in fact). You may also remember we were chasing the Vitesse Arnhem central defender captain Danilo Doekhi who was in the last year of his contract. He chose Union Berlin over the great Glasgow Rangers simply because of the league we play in. We are severely handicapped in my opinion when it comes to attracting the top young established talent in Europe’s lower profile leagues such as the Eredivisie.

If a player was so lazy, you would be shouting your head off
Players are getting paid thousands of pounds a week to play for us.

I'm hurriedly typing a message on a forum whilst I should be working. There's a slight difference!

the average Dutch top division team is bigger than the average Scottish Prem team.

Maybe dutch youth don't want to move to an lower standard league?

I can’t see this being the case with top managers at top clubs.
The recruitment teams will do the groundwork but the manager will have final say.
It’s his head that’s on the block here, his legacy, his career.
Totally agree the manager will have the final say.

But it’s the recruitment team rather than the manager scouting the market for the players, hence no Dutch players coming in.

Totally agree the manager will have the final say.

But it’s the recruitment team rather than the manager scouting the market for the players, hence no Dutch players coming in.
If Gio had somebody in mind, the recruitment team would be checking and evaluating, would they not.
I’m not sure they’d dismiss any tips they’d get, from anybody.

Are you seriously suggesting the manager shouldn't have a say in the players he wants playing at the club?
I never said he shouldn't have a say, he absolutely should have the final say, but it isn't his job to identify and chase targets. He might recommend a player or 2 but we have a whole recruitment and analysis team who will be monitoring players over many transfer windows.

Back