Why the lack of post-split TV games?

Luis Fernandez

Am I missing something here? I thought Sky usually saved up some of their fixture allocation in order to broadcast more post-split games. Obviously we now know that our games are dead rubbers but it’s odd that neither our game v Hibs or away tomorrow is on Sky.

Isn't it the case they can only show so many games from a particular venue, or they'd be obliged to pay more? Them not showing our home games, isn't actually that unusual, particularly as it's done. Possibly 'saving' it for trophy presentation?

I don't know the answer btw, something is just ringing a bell with that.

The games would still be meaningless without the solit tbf.
True, but TV coverage might be down likewise.

The really meaningful games are our games against the tims and Aberdeen, and those involving RC, Killie, and Hamilton. Maybe they figured the relegation battle wasn’t much of a draw

If you ran a buisness based on viewing figures you wouldn't either. More than half the stadium empty is embarasing too. I'm meaning when the fans were allowed in and not how it is the now.
Agreed.

Scottish football and the people within it have done f.uck all to improve the product. There is no progression, there is no ambition, there is no dynamic thinking.

They have no right to sit on their arse doing f.uck all and demand a bigger profile or more money for the tin-pot set up they "run".

They get what they deserve TV money wise.

Why would sky show any more games. There’s only 2 games in the league I can say would attract me as a tv company . Rangers v Celtic , and rangers v Aberdeen and the later is just cos it’s trophy day. Even as a rangers fan it’s the only 2 remaining games I’ve booked off work so if that’s me why would a neutral tv company care. Plus factor in how much English football is on the tv right now because pretty much every game in and there’s prob no room for meaningless spfl games. If the title isn’t a proper race to the last few days it really doesn’t interest sky.

Agreed.

Scottish football and the people within it have done f.uck all to improve the product. There is no progression, there is no ambition, there is no dynamic thinking.

They have no right to sit on their arse doing f.uck all and demand a bigger profile or more money for the tin-pot set up they "run".

They get what they deserve TV money wise.

I got a dog 4 years ago so I haven't really been and probably won't get back until he's not here anymore. You don't notice it as much when your at the game but even our games alot of the time Looks amateurish. I'm meaning the surroundings of it and no way saying we do. If it's the game getting put on live then the sfa should have rules if the home team can't shift the tickets then we get to have them. The away team gets cash from the tickets. We benefit as more of us get to go to the game. The sfa benefit to as half empty stadiums getting put on sky isn't getting the investors getting there money out.

Sky are only allowed to broadcast 4 home games per team in the SPL. The 2 old firms, hibs at Xmas and trophy day is our 4. All other teams will be the 4 games against us (or them) depending on if they finish top 6 or not

I got a dog 4 years ago so I haven't really been and probably won't get back until he's not here anymore. You don't notice it as much when your at the game but even our games alot of the time Looks amateurish. I'm meaning the surroundings of it and no way saying we do. If it's the game getting put on live then the sfa should have rules if the home team can't shift the tickets then we get to have them. The away team gets cash from the tickets. We benefit as more of us get to go to the game. The sfa benefit to as half empty stadiums getting put on sky isn't getting the investors getting there money out.

I agree with almost all of this, apart from us keeping the money - that's nonsensical and would do nothing to improve Scottish football. If other clubs sell tickets to us and them to avoid empty seats then of course they should be able to keep the money.

St. Johnstone have already started IIRC. Be interesting to see if it has any impact on their team over a 5 year span.

Sky are only allowed to broadcast 4 home games per team in the SPL. The 2 old firms, hibs at Xmas and trophy day is our 4. All other teams will be the 4 games against us (or them) depending on if they finish top 6 or not

That was changed for this season to 6 I think. They showed Aberdeen home match back in first half of the season. So we will have had 5 games broadcast from Ibrox.

I’m not sure how many games are left overall but they will pick up the relegation battle for the last week or 2 when it starts to become clearer. Also will probably show the play offs, or at least the final.

If we stay unbeaten against St Johnstone I wouldn’t rule them out picking the Livingston away game so last 3 would be on the tele.

League already won.
No race for second place.
Next to no race for third place.

Scottish football is basically an afterthought and slot filler for TV stations these days.

If you ran a buisness based on viewing figures you wouldn't either. More than half the stadium empty is embarasing too. I'm meaning when the fans were allowed in and not how it is the now.
They can't complain about not having access to Gerrard or the 55 celebrations then

It's because they showed a lot of games in August before the EPL started to fired through a lot of the games they had allocated.

I think the combination of the SPFL & Sky don't lend themselves to maximising the product. Sky's coverage of Scottish football in general is poor. It has the look of a production being done as cheap as possible. I also don't understand why our games against smeltic were kept at midday this season. No fans etc. Should have allowed those games to be moved to a more reasonable time (assuming they had a choice in that to be fair).
The lack of match build up, the pundits used (Walker), the failure to "advertise" upcoming SPFL games when an EPL game is on. Being bounced down the sports channels and other such things are further examples.
But, the problem is made worse by the SPFL not doing anything about it. They're so desperate to just maximise the cash deal that they don't build in requirements to show our product in the best light (same with the crap highlights package they "sold" to the BBC, compare it to MOTD).
On that front if we could get rid of Doncaster and get in a proper CEO capable of selling the SPFL properly, who knows what could be done.
Our product may not be the best but, we don't make any effort to up sell it, advertise it or just generally promote it. I reckon that suits Sky as it means they pay a relatively small sum (compared to other payments they make) for a product that attracts a steady audience.

Is it just me or is the 3 day pass still not available for purchase for tonight form “abroad”?

I agree with almost all of this, apart from us keeping the money - that's nonsensical and would do nothing to improve Scottish football. If other clubs sell tickets to us and them to avoid empty seats then of course they should be able to keep the money.

St. Johnstone have already started IIRC. Be interesting to see if it has any impact on their team over a 5 year span.

I meant them keeping the money from the tickets. They keep going on about money up here yet 4 home games a season between us and them where they could generate alot more income with giving us tickets they decide not to.

This was my understanding, so all our away games should be televised, but they haven't been.

maybe not as important this season considering the league was done in March but it is a bit weird

Sky wouldn't show most of the regular games in the NFL and then blackout the playoffs for example. Even in years when the league has been won in April, Sky or BT have always been showing the split games. Can only suggest it's the situation which isn't good for the teams up here because that's us less on the telly at what usually is the most important time in the season

I meant them keeping the money from the tickets. They keep going on about money up here yet 4 home games a season between us and them where they could generate alot more income with giving us tickets they decide not to.
This for me is a classic example of the small minded nature of scottish football where you have 3/4 empty stadiums but you will not sell tickets to the away fan , losing out on much needed finance to help your club grow and try to improve. Madness

Im just guessing but I reckon a Rangers game on Sky has more viewers than some of the shite premier league games on BT Sport

This for me is a classic example of the small minded nature of scottish football where you have 3/4 empty stadiums but you will not sell tickets to the away fan , losing out on much needed finance to help your club grow and try to improve. Madness
Not madness it's called "bitterness" then they moan like fck when they're running out of money,fck them they deserve everything they ask for.

They haven't picked all the games yet. They still have 7 more to pick as theyve shown 39 games and already picked 2 games (both our remaining home games at Ibrox).

They will be waiting to see what happens in terms of relegation or qualification for Europe. Tbh we could still see the Livi away game on TV too.

It would be interesting to see the viewing figures of the matches broadcast on RTV. I have watched every game this season and none on any of the other channels. Ok so I live abroad, but I think the use of VPN’s and this season’s VST means the match by match figures will be better than any matches broadcast on SKY

Am I reading this correctly? You bought a dog 4 years ago and therefore have basically stopped going to the match?

It would be interesting to see the viewing figures of the matches broadcast on RTV. I have watched every game this season and none on any of the other channels. Ok so I live abroad, but I think the use of VPN’s and this season’s VST means the match by match figures will be better than any matches broadcast on SKY
Here are the viewing figures for SKY etc. The VST figures won't be as high as this where our average on SKY was 413k:

There will be a number of factors - but chief among them will be the league being over. I'd also imagine Sky could be pissed off at Scottish Cup games being on two weeks in a row, with the league fixtures being moved to midweek and clashing with the Championship run in, PL games and the Champions League.

The league is completely over
Nothing to play for or indeed to bother showing in my opinion
We won it without ever getting out of second gear this year.
Our hardest game was against a piss poor Hibs team
Not particularly useful for us when we faced with better teams in Europe.
I blame the shocking lack of quality in the other 11 teams in our league

How does that work when the Edinburgh derby was always on TV?

Why would sky show any more games. There’s only 2 games in the league I can say would attract me as a tv company . Rangers v Celtic , and rangers v Aberdeen and the later is just cos it’s trophy day. Even as a rangers fan it’s the only 2 remaining games I’ve booked off work so if that’s me why would a neutral tv company care. Plus factor in how much English football is on the tv right now because pretty much every game in and there’s prob no room for meaningless spfl games. If the title isn’t a proper race to the last few days it really doesn’t interest sky.
That's why Crocker has been chosen to head their coverage.

Well we will have been shown on sky 5 times at home by the end of the season so this is nonsense. Aberdeen x2 hibs and them x2.

Am I reading this correctly? You bought a dog 4 years ago and therefore have basically stopped going to the match?

I stay myself, my mum takes him everyday mon to Fri and walks him twice when he's there. Would be a total piss take expecting her to do it on a sat aswell. Hes a German sheperd too so it's no as if a quick 20 mins etc does him and hed be content in the house. They take up alot of your time.

Here are the viewing figures for SKY etc. The VST figures won't be as high as this where our average on SKY was 413k:

Looked at last season's and palace was lowest for figures in the epl but still averaged over 650k a game. That was with crowds to so I imagine itl be up this season. I know we will never match the epl but the epl didn't get to where it is now to be the most watched etc standing still.

I don't the mentally challengeds, there's a couple of clubs I don't like . I wouldn't like away fans getting 3 stands in our stadium. But tell you what if it meant my club getting the money 4 times a season and helping us to improve I'd say it would be daft not to. If teams improve then the gates would improve. Motherwells etc can take thousands when they get into a final so there is a customer base in there somewhere for they clubs to tap into.

As pointed out it could upto 48 Premiership games

Have selected 41 so far and tonight is the 5th round of fixtures this season there hasn't been a live game, part of which will be down to Sky Sports own scheduling when fitting in SPFL games against the EFL

Given the fact relegation fight is 3 teams the moment they could have opted for that but haven't so far

Had BT Sport still be involved I doubt games like tonight would have blanked by them

Back