Why the Lundstram sub?

Because we did not have a grip of the game at all and Gio was trying to shore up the midfield

Lundstram done okay when he came on. Was probably the right decision but at same time the whole team was dysfunctional, so he had his hands tied to a degree

Chasing a goal and we have three defensive midfielders on, it just killed all attacking creativity.

Kamara, Sands and Lundstram should only be on the pitch at the same time if we are playing the likes of Bayen Munich and we want to park the bus, not when we are playing the likes of Aberdeen and want to score goals.

Towards the end I wasn’t sure what Lundstrum was doing. He seemed to be picking up space and not the man and was slow in closing anyone down.

In no way blaming him for the draw, but there’s a bit of imbalance when he plays at times.

Lundstram was a good sub but Gio took the wrong player off.

It should have been Lundstram for Hagi and Sakala for Wright. We bring on Sakala for Wright at 1-0 on the hour mark and I guarantee we get another chance. He was on for about two minutes before he took the ball past an Aberdeen player immediately. It’s utterly baffling Gio prefers Wright to Sakala.

Sakala scored a hat trick at Fir Park playing on the left wing. Wright will never ever score a hat trick for us. Who is the goal threat from crosses in the air? There are so many reasons why Sakala should have started.

He’ll start against Livi only because Kent is suspended.

Gio's first mistake as gaffer for me.

I think at 1-0 we should have brought on an attacking player (Fashion JR) to stretch the game.

The Lundstram sub just sent out a message that we hoped to hold out for the rest of the game rather than go for 2-0 and finish it.

I wanted Sakala on too. I thought it indicated we were sitting in and ceding possession.

He's clearly got talent, but we simply don't have a role for him in our team. Not his fault he was subbed on when he was, but it basically looked like we were admitting that we were playing shite but going to try and see it out

To try and shore up the midfield. We had zero midfield, even after he came on, in that second half. We were getting run over.

We didn’t have a meaningful attack all second half and got our first corner of the half on 81mins.

Kent spending the half tripping over his own feet didn’t help matters either.

He wasn’t even close to being the worst player out there tonight and actually did his job reasonably well.

The sub was wrong though along with our whole game plan

I get that he wasn’t bad when he came on but realistically the problem was we don’t have the players to do what was wanted. I’m assuming Gio wanted to go 4-4-2 and the extra man in midfield to try and control the space better.

However I feel like we’ve ended with 3 defensive centre mids who are all essentially in the same role.

We need more quality in the midfield area or we need to play the tactics for the players we’ve got.

The midfield was being overran. We needed another body in there.

Main culprits tonight were Kent, Wright and Hagi. Constantly wasting possession and leaving Alfie isolated.

TBH the midfield had lost control of the game long before that and were getting deeper and deeper - he probably added him in there to try and get control back.

Changed the game for the worse. We had 3 defensive mids on. Should really have been Fashion on instead.
Because we were being over run in midfield. The Aberdeen goal was coming, they missed about 3 or 4 good chances before Lundstram was sent on to try tighten up the midfield. It never worked, but I can see why it was done.

Taking off Wright was spot on as he was murder. Can see Gio looking at it as thinking it was a battle to hold 1-0. Lundstram wasn’t at it but it’s not the worst sub it’s been painted out to be. Individuals all over the pitch failed us. Wasn’t a night for football but on realising that we never battled or took care of it enough.

Changed the game for the worse. We had 3 defensive mids on. Should really have been Fashion on instead.
We were already playing to defend a one goal lead. This substitution simply cemented the fact we had no interest in going for a killer second goal.
Ironically, before and after the sub it was clear to almost everyone watching that Aberdeen were going to score.
Pity Gio couldn't see it.

Because we were being over run in midfield. The Aberdeen goal was coming, they missed about 3 or 4 good chances before Lundstram was sent on to try tighten up the midfield. It never worked, but I can see why it was done.
There had to be a change at half time. Wright should have been off for Sakala for starters.

Couldn't get my head around it. What confused me more was Wright off and Hagi to the right. Hagi has no pace, Gio likes pace on the wings. It made no sense.

If lundstram was coming on it had to be for hagi and not Wright. Actually thought lundstram played alright when he came on. Wright should have been taken off for sakala as well, given that in the limited time he’s been on the park he’s shown to be a far better player than Wright.

Strange sub, espeically when Kent became the only out ball

Lundstram subbed killed us, off the ball he is terrible always ball watching.

Brown made 1 forward pass that second half untill Lundstram came on. He then made 7 on the bounce. We was never scoring after that change

I actually thought lundstrum showed more than the other midfielders when he came on, won a few tackles and showed some composure compared to kamara who didn’t step up tonight with players missing
Yeah I'm not a fan but he definitely managed to put his foot on the ball better than Kamara and Sands, maybe just the extra body in there helped. But not as if we took advantage we could never get up the pitch.

Gio was probably happy with the point considering how we had played and decided to close up shop .
Lunstram getting a lot of unjustified negativity here.
The rest of our midfield were over run for the majority of the match and that was nothing to do with Lunstrams intro

He's clearly got talent, but we simply don't have a role for him in our team. Not his fault he was subbed on when he was, but it basically looked like we were admitting that we were playing shite but going to try and see it out
Would be very unfair to blame the guy when every one or most players had a stinker and the manager made mistakes, have to admit i have never once noticed this talent you speak of.

Was a poor night at the office for GvB

The board need to back him with cash.

Ross Wilson needs to up his game.

Probably trying to help us get some control in the midfield and get possession to feed our forwards.

Kamara and Sands were getting swamped because Aberdeen had Brown and Ferguson central, plus Hedges and Ojo played narrow too, making it 4 against 2.

Aberdeen were getting their width from their full backs, Hayes and Ramsey.

The main point is though, we never played well, before or after Lundstram came on.

If lundstram was coming on it had to be for hagi and not Wright. Actually thought lundstram played alright when he came on. Wright should have been taken off for sakala as well, given that in the limited time he’s been on the park he’s shown to be a far better player than Wright.
Agreed and has goals to back it up, Wright on the other hand I don’t know what he brings to the team or if he ever will tbh.

Yip best form of defence is attack. 1-0 was always a dodgey score line bring the defensive mids on at 3 or 4-0 to protect the clean sheet no problems with that

Chasing a goal and we have three defensive midfielders on, it just killed all attacking creativity.

Kamara, Sands and Lundstram should only be on the pitch at the same time if we are playing the likes of Bayen Munich and we want to park the bus, not when we are playing the likes of Aberdeen and want to score goals.
There was no attaching creativity the entire game. We were rank, low possession, nothing to offer. Scored against run of play. And we want to blame Lunstrum FFS he came in and done his job, especially when he's not getting game time. Ask that considered he done a job. Tactics were on Gio. If Lundstrum was bad then Hagi is finished as he was easily the worst player in the park (goal aside obviously) he was rank

Latest posts

Back