Why the media will always seek to diminish a successful Manchester City

I've done a complete 180° with Man City, used to be my "other" team as a youngster for family reasons. No time for them at all these days and Guardiola is a banger (used to really like him as well).

I've done a complete 180° with Man City, used to be my "other" team as a youngster for family reasons. No time for them at all these days and Guardiola is a banger (used to really like him as well).

What don't you like about him mate? I actually think he seems like a decent enough fella, a bit eccentric, even weird but all geniuses are. He's a more likeable fella than Klopp who is a media darling but loses the plot every time they lose a game or drop points.

It's stuff such as this that makes Man City look small-time.

Joe Hart is a 'legend' and Yaya Toure went in huff over not getting a birthday cake.

"Toure later played down the incident but admitted that the ignorance of not sending him a celebratory birthday cake left him 'damaged' with a lasting effect on his daily life."

Man City and Chelsea just 2 small to medium clubs bankrolled by billionaires, why would other fans or the media not put them down.

Used to have a soft spot for Man city, As they were the first team I ever seen in the flesh, Must've been around 83.

I think the majority of football supporters think the media is biased against their own club. Even down the lower divisions with their own local newspapers.

Are they? Success built on massive external investment, can’t fill out on a champions league night and fake noise pumped into the stadium.
They hate UEFA mate so there has always been some resistance to buying CL tickets. They’re really good fans - 40000 in the old third division and kept going while their city rivals won everything.

I have to say I completely sympathise with the writer. We know how the press work up here and and all the techniques to bolster one and denigrate another are very familiar.

They’re as big as any other big club in England, but they’ll never be as global as Man United or Liverpool.
If things carry on as they are, then they will eventually. Just like United in the 90’s, hordes of glory hunting foreigners will adopt City as their team.

I find it interesting that Chelsea aren’t viewed with the same animosity on here, given that they basically owe every bit of recent success to a Russian lottery ticket.

I've got zero respect for Man City, just another fantasy football plaything for dodgy billionaires. A blank chequebook club who couldn't be further removed from the Manchester City of the past.

Don’t see how it is turning.Whilst Liverpool took almost 30yrs to win to the league,they were winning the CL,something that City can only dream of.
Don't agree with this point. City are favourites for the Champions League and will be in and around the favourites to win it for the next 20 years. It's not really out with the realms of probability that they will get it right.

We (Rangers) can only dream of winning it, City are geared up to, and expect, to win it.

Don't agree with this point. City are favourites for the Champions League and will be in and around the favourites to win it for the next 20 years. It's not really out with the realms of probability that they will get it right.

We (Rangers) can only dream of winning it, City are geared up to, and expect, to win it.
It will still be a 'meh' moment in football history.

Man City are one of the few English teams that I have a real dislike for. They are at the head of the small bunch with Arsenal closely following.

They hate UEFA mate so there has always been some resistance to buying CL tickets. They’re really good fans - 40000 in the old third division and kept going while their city rivals won everything.

I have to say I completely sympathise with the writer. We know how the press work up here and and all the techniques to bolster one and denigrate another are very familiar.
Was at the first match they had in tier 3, Blackpool on a Friday night - mate was a City fan and we had to buy off a tout for the away end, was more like 33,000 capacity than 40k. Awful side that period but had some good days out at Maine Road, lads off their heads in the concourses etc dancing on tables at the Peter Barnes Bar etc.. so different to now.

Spent something mental like £1.5 billion in the past 10 years, they should be expected to win the champions league.

They have bought their way to the top

When Man Utd went down to the old Div2 in 1974 their crowds dropped to around 25,000. When City dropped to the 3rd tier of English football their fans stayed loyal. Great club. Great supporters. When we went to Manchester in 2008 it was City fans who joined us in the city centre and were out wishing us well from the houses near the ground.

And let’s not even go into the embarrassing reservoir of drool and other bodily fluids left on the press conference floor every time Jürgen Klopp spoke during their title-winning season last year.

What a line As city fan since the early 80's there have been so many days of gloom as Utd lorded over everyone, but it was felt all the more at Maine Road. Everyone and their grandma were screaming for Liverpool to win the league last year. This season Ciy have gone on a run that is making our own Rangers run look shady, yet are still not given the plaudits that most other top 6 teams would have received if one of them did it.

If a forign billonaire bought Rangers we would be celebrating like we won the lottery. Say what you want about City, but they have a loyal fan base who followed through the shit times in Division 3, yes there are a lot of new fans, but the core is still the same. Manu utd fan base isnt even from Manchester. This year I think we will go one and win the European cup and quite possibly the 3 domestic trophies as well, but still wont get the respect deserved.

Spent something mental like £1.5 billion in the past 10 years, they should be expected to win the champions league.

They have bought their way to the top
Every EPL winning club have spent big to be successful, City are no different to Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd, Blackburn or Arsenal in that respect. Certainly City have got untold riches but every club would welcome their wealth

Used to root for City regularly but like Chelsea before them they got some money, some success and they started believing they're more than what they are. Also can't stand Guardiola.

If a forign billonaire bought Rangers we would be celebrating like we won the lottery. Say what you want about City, but they have a loyal fan base who followed through the shit times in Division 3, yes there are a lot of new fans, but the core is still the same. Manu utd fan base isnt even from Manchester. This year I think we will go one and win the European cup and quite possibly the 3 domestic trophies as well, but still wont get the respect deserved.
I’m sure these guys were pig sick when Sir Flimflam was attempting to bankroll us to the top of Europe in the late 90’s/early 2000’s. No doubt raging every time they picked up a paper to see that we were spending another 5 or 6 million on top talent.

Last edited:
Every EPL winning club have spent big to be successful, City are no different to Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd, Blackburn or Arsenal in that respect. Certainly City have got untold riches but every club would welcome their wealth

Even Blackburn Rovers spent a lot of money to win the league.

City spent a lot of money in those first new years under the new owners but it was front loaded investment to close the gap as quickly as possible. No different to what Chelsea done under Abramovich.

In recent years, City haven't spent much more than anyone else to be honest.

It's a misconception that they have a blank cheque book. They have a structure in place for fees and wages. They lost out on Alexis Sanchez due to the wages Man Utd were willing to pay him. They also wanted VVD as well but were unwilling to pay the fee Liverpool paid in the end.

It's a myth that they just go out and buy whoever they want and buy all the top players. A lot of the players Guardiola has bought have been young players and relatively unknown before he brought then in and developed them.

Simply because they know that the bias they claim to exist against them is not only untrue, its the very opposite of what is true - the English press fall over themselves to talk about PG and his team.

I think people who sneer at their success, me included, do so not because they have loads of money or buy loads of top players but its the degree to which they do it which makes the success almost pointless. In Pro Sports, teams who outspend their rivals massively will tend to win more/most things because theyll have the best players by some distance. In the case of Man City they have spent money in a way that no team ever has or will. In fact theyve spent so much money and acquired such a depth of squad they dont really need to even bother about Football problems like injuries, suspensions, even loss of form because there is always 2 or 3 players in any position waiting to come in and cover. That kind of advantage is unprecedented and some might say unfair.

For all they have and may yet win my take is given their colossal advantage they should achieve such things and really its not that impressive given their status. Man City should be winning the EPL by mile and the CL and probably the domestic cups, year in year out.

As for PG himself hes obvs a quality coach but succeeding at Barcelona, Bayern Munich (somewhat) and Modern Manchester City isnt really that amazing. Hes also rather defensive about himself which I find a little precious given all the praise hes had and advantages enjoyed, plus hes very politically active while on Football duties, using the platform to push his ideas which I find very distasteful indeed.

Anyone but Man City. Please.

You're making out like it's similar to a PSG situation in France. Truth is, majority of EPL teams spend big and are littered with world class players.

Saying injuries don't affect them isn't true either. Last season City were so poor because their had no centre backs for most of the season and resorted to playing Fernandinho there.

It's stuff such as this that makes Man City look small-time.

Joe Hart is a 'legend' and Yaya Toure went in huff over not getting a birthday cake.

"Toure later played down the incident but admitted that the ignorance of not sending him a celebratory birthday cake left him 'damaged' with a lasting effect on his daily life."

Is it just because they're modern players you don't think they can be regarded as legends?

Bare in mind the players you mention are amongst the most successful in the club's history and were part of the team that began dominating English football in the last 10+ years...

We have quite a few players in our Hall of Fame that are questionable to say the least. Many other teams will have recent/current players as 'legends' or in their HOFs.

The comparisons with Blackburn Rovers, Manchester United or even us are valid but don't quite go far enough.

What we're seeing with Manchester City is unprecedented wealth being pumped into a club from a rogue Royal Family in a human rights abusing country as part of a calculated sportswashing programme, and one that has allowed the manager to amass literally the most expensive football team ever amassed: the squad that won the treble was the most expensively assembled squad in football (maybe even sports?) history.

Was at the first match they had in tier 3, Blackpool on a Friday night - mate was a City fan and we had to buy off a tout for the away end, was more like 33,000 capacity than 40k. Awful side that period but had some good days out at Maine Road, lads off their heads in the concourses etc dancing on tables at the Peter Barnes Bar etc.. so different to now.
I work with a couple of guys based in the NW who have gone every week for 30 odd years. This notion of fair weather fans is completely overdone.

Back