Why the media will always seek to diminish a successful Manchester City

i get that. But, for me, the soul of the club is very different now.

one of the reasons I’d pass on any external investor.
Real fans being priced out seems like something I wouldn't like to criticize given what we went through and what could have been.
Saying that, fucking hate Newcastle!!

Real fans being priced out seems like something I wouldn't like to criticize given what we went through and what could have been.
Its atually cheaper for tickets to watch City than watch Rangers. I was home from Canada 3 years ago and got 3 champions league games for 75 pound! Also bought EPL tickets for 25 pound

Its atually cheaper for tickets to watch City than watch Rangers. I was home from Canada 3 years ago and got 3 champions league games for 75 pound! Also bought EPL tickets for 25 pound
I know this is going to sound silly, but that doesn't necessarily equate to cheaper.

You can watch Real Madrid in the league for half the price of a Rangers ticket v St Mirren.
V Cadiz in a meaningless game mid season for example.
You can pay 10 times the price of a Rangers v Celtic ticket to watch Madrid v Barca.

If they've priced normal fans out of a season ticket.
Do you expect them to lap up tickets v shite, only to be given a wide bearth when the big games come around?

That’s a mentally challenged-sized chip he’s got on his shoulder.
I happen to agree with him, we have a direct parallel. When Murray did it we did not get the credit we deserved I warned atvthe time about Murray).
Contrast the fabby reviews the mentally challengeds got when we were papped out when they had way way more money than everyone - silence on financial muscle being the reason. It was all about prudent financial management.
Strange again this season, hardly a peep about the monkeys falling apart despite all of their money in comparison. Gerrard and his players are not getting the credit they are due, it all seems to be about them failing.

Is it just because they're modern players you don't think they can be regarded as legends?

Bare in mind the players you mention are amongst the most successful in the club's history and were part of the team that began dominating English football in the last 10+ years...

We have quite a few players in our Hall of Fame that are questionable to say the least. Many other teams will have recent/current players as 'legends' or in their HOFs.

Possibly, and my view of a legend will differ from other fans at other clubs.

But Man City give off the look of too 'new' - the Commonwealth Games 2002 stadium, the owners, the documentaries, the expansion of the ground without fans to fill it

I know this is going to sound silly, but that doesn't necessarily equate to cheaper.

You can watch Real Madrid in the league for half the price of a Rangers ticket v St Mirren.
V Cadiz in a meaningless game mid season for example.
You can pay 10 times the price of a Rangers v Celtic ticket to watch Madrid v Barca.

If they've priced normal fans out of a season ticket.
Do you expect them to lap up tickets v shite, only to be given a wide bearth when the big games come around?
I know where you are coming from there.

First 4 mins of the City v Wolves game has been nothing but praise for them in the commentary.

Oh absolutely. We could have been in the same boat. Unlikely given the riches in the epl.

Where did I state that anyone tried to kill them? Try reading what I stated, there's a lot of jealousy down here in England towards City because of their wealth and success, very similar to Rangers during the Souness, Smith and Advocaat years.
You never stated anybody tried to kill them. I asked who tried to kill them because the only way the supposed jealousy they recieve down south is even comparable to us is if there was a deep conspiracy to kill them like there was for us. There's no comparison between the 2 situations at all. We were a big club before money took over and we'd be a big club if we were potless, no sure you can say the same for City. Replace 'jealousy' with 'animosity' and you're maybe closer to the truth.

Watching them tonight and the word relentless is very apt and actually quite similar to our style of play. Extremely fit side, high press, winning the ball back as soon as you lose it and quick passing in tight spaces. I don't find then souless like others have said I really enjoy watching them. Worthy Champions elect.

Is this not a case of supply and demand? The demand for Rangers tickets is significantly higher than Man City, so tickets are a premium.

Is this not a case of supply and demand? The demand for Rangers tickets is significantly higher than Man City, so tickets are a premium.
Man city when they built the extra tier said they would do cheap ST for locals. All my mates got the 299 quid ones.

They were minutes from the conference and yet the fans never deserted them despite Man Utd winning everything.
I class them like Leeds, Wolves, West Brom, Burnley old fashioned clubs with a great history.
Don’t let what Man City has become to tarnish the soul and heartbeat of the club it’s fans.
My brother and I attended games at Maine Road 84-86, difficult days to be a City supporter!

Man city were getting 40k in league one twenty year ago
Bit pedantic but it was never 40k mate, a few have said that now. Maine Road held 33k tops. The reality of what they were getting was good enough to show they were loyal at the lowest, doesn’t need tarted up. It was easy enough to get a ticket that season kind, can remember a home match v Wrexham where it wasn’t full for example. Mind you City back then was rarely hard for a ticket, so many Scallys selling and some lads used to jump the Kippax turnstiles.

This seems pretty accurate on that season in the third tier:

Average of 28 while 29k.

Reactions: jtc
The British sporting media are facing some difficult days and weeks ahead what with Rangers and Manchester City destined to be champions of their respective countries, while their darlings languish looking on from the sidelines.

I don't get the urge to ever watch their games. I saw the score at 1-1 and wasn't even tempted to stick it on. Just an inevitability about them winning. It isn't their fault but I find the style of play quite robotic. They are very business like. Not their fault of course, it absolutely works for them and it is not a criticism but as a neutral I just don't get the urge to watch them. Their games are very rarely exciting and thats what I watch football for on the main.

I don't get the urge to ever watch their games. I saw the score at 1-1 and wasn't even tempted to stick it on. Just an inevitability about them winning. It isn't their fault but I find the style of play quite robotic. They are very business like. Not their fault of course, it absolutely works for them and it is not a criticism but as a neutral I just don't get the urge to watch them. Their games are very rarely exciting and thats what I watch football for on the main.
I’m like that. I’ll watch their CL matches from the quarters and maybe FA Cup games. Other than league cup final nothing really.

They should be looking to put Man U to the sword this Sunday, not really convinced they’ll have much passion for that.

Watching them tonight and the word relentless is very apt and actually quite similar to our style of play. Extremely fit side, high press, winning the ball back as soon as you lose it and quick passing in tight spaces. I don't find then souless like others have said I really enjoy watching them. Worthy Champions elect.

They are a joy to watch and just an incredibly well oiled machine. Tactically they fascinate me, they really do.

Their players rotations in and out of possession etc are incredible they would be an asbolute nightmare to play against.

A well written article, akin to how the media portrayed us in our dominant spells after sourness arrived. Posters commenting on the mentally challenged size chip on the shoulders could do worse than to read the article.

Thing with City is say they played in a CL Final. I really couldn’t see them taking loads to it, with or without tickets. Would never take a City over etc...

I think they were a decent club with a loyal support who probably underachieved before the Arabs got a hold of them, but the success they’ve had since is completely disproportionate to what they would have had if they never.

They, like Chelsea before them, have also been saddled with swathes of neophyte supporters who will probably never actually see them play in the flesh, all of which adds up to a bit of a phoney state of affairs to me.
How is that any different to Man Utd post Munich 1958? (Tragedy as it was)

How is that any different to Man Utd post Munich 1958? (Tragedy as it was)
Did Man U receive unprecedented financial backing to transform them from also rans into the country’s preeminent club though?

They’d won five league titles and two FA Cups before Munich so were already one of England’s more successful clubs.

Maybe the tragedy generated a groundswell of sympathy for them - I don’t know, I wasn’t born for another eleven years - but I’d disagree that it’s similar to City’s sudden transformation.

Did Man U receive unprecedented financial backing to transform them from also rans into the country’s preeminent club though?

They’d won five league titles and two FA Cups before Munich so were already one of England’s more successful clubs.

Maybe the tragedy generated a groundswell of sympathy for them - I don’t know, I wasn’t born for another eleven years - but I’d disagree that it’s similar to City’s sudden transformation.
Man United became a global phenomenon after the Munich disaster. They also got fans supporting them all over England in the aftermath of it at a time when every other club retained a local support.

Will always be overshadowed by Man Utd & they have been shite for 8 years or so.

All those billions of pounds spent & not a Champions League to show for it? Not even a champions league final. This year is their best opportunity to win it - If not, cant see them ever getting there.

Will always be overshadowed by Man Utd & they have been shite for 8 years or so.

All those billions of pounds spent & not a Champions League to show for it? Not even a champions league final. This year is their best opportunity to win it - If not, cant see them ever getting there.
Probably be favs to win it next season regardless of winning this one to be fair, certainly be in top 3 favs.

Anybody sharing the same town as Manchester United will always be overshadowed by them. That also includes us and Liverpool.
The size of City’s support is pretty impressive given the success their neighbours have had.

I think they are partly to blame for the inflated transfer fees in modern football, so I have no sympathy for them at all

Probably be favs to win it next season regardless of winning this one to be fair, certainly be in top 3 favs.
Probably will be. You look around Europe & I don't think there is a team with better players than City right now - Same could be said the past few seasons but they just dont get past that hurdle in Europe

Anybody sharing the same town as Manchester United will always be overshadowed by them. That also includes us and Liverpool.
The size of City’s support is pretty impressive given the success their neighbours have had.
True - My point was getting at the fact that UTD could go another 20 years or so not winning a thing & still be bigger than Citeh.

Probably will be. You look around Europe & I don't think there is a team with better players than City right now - Same could be said the past few seasons but they just dont get past that hurdle in Europe
This is the best they have been mind under Guardiola, I would expect them to beat anyone right now in Club Football. Wait and see I guess.

Bit pedantic but it was never 40k mate, a few have said that now. Maine Road held 33k tops. The reality of what they were getting was good enough to show they were loyal at the lowest, doesn’t need tarted up. It was easy enough to get a ticket that season kind, can remember a home match v Wrexham where it wasn’t full for example. Mind you City back then was rarely hard for a ticket, so many Scallys selling and some lads used to jump the Kippax turnstiles.

This seems pretty accurate on that season in the third tier:

Average of 28 while 29k.
They have always been a big club. Not The size of their neighbours but a big club never the less.
In the 80,s they had supporters coming from all over on buses.Id say Everton size.
I stand corrected wazza.Still pretty decent though for a team in league one.
TBF Birmingham pulled near that the year we won it in certain games.City are bigger then Blues though .
Someone called Birmingham a sleeping giant once.He ain't asleep mate he's comatised :))

First of all, big successful clubs all get hated, unless its Scotland and it`s `them`.
However, i have to say, i cannot watch City. I think it`s the manufactured thing.
No real money from real people. Only oil rich arabs, who i despise even being
in the game. The money seems fake, and endless. Without oil, they`d be peasants
scurrying about in the desert, on camels.
Heard the other day on tv, `oh they have £300m. of quality on the bench`. FK me,
that`s not a fair fight.
They were a real club, not for me , now.

Back