Wide areas next season

RFC97

Going to have plenty wide players next year.

Assuming we stay with the 4-3-2-1 I’m talking about players who would play in the ‘2’.

Middleton - Loan. Too good for the reserves but not good enough for the first 11.

Grezda - Sell. Nothing more needs said.

Jones - Squad / bench

Murphy - Squad / bench

Kent - probably back to Liverpool. Makes sense to at least work under this assumption.

Arfield - First team player

Candeias - I would sell him

Hastie - Squad or a possible loan.

Stewart - Squad or bench

I think if we want to really go for the title Arfield is the only player there that gets in the first team week in week out. So we need a replacement for Kent.
This is a position I’d look to spend 4/5m in with reinvestment from the Morelos bonanza.

So we’d have

Arfield Serious new signing
Defoe/another

And I’ll be gutted to see Kent leave.

If we can get a player who can bring the excitement he can but with a few more goals it will be fantastic.

If we go down the route with inside forwards then it might be initially difficult for the likes of Jones and Stewart to get game time. It will suit Murphy and Hastie though I reckon.

If we go down the route with inside forwards then it might be initially difficult for the likes of Jones and Stewart to get game time. It will suit Murphy and Hastie though I reckon.

Murphy and Hastie as regular first teamers though?

Murphy was averaging an assist or goal per game. Putting up more numbers than kent ever has. I think your under valuing what murphy will bring to the table next season.

Murphy started well but quickly faded.

We need to go to the next level. To me that means serious investment in this position, leaving the likes of Murphy as a decent squad option.

Say we get 15m for Morelos, we have a chance to invest in some serious upgrades.

I’d certainly not sell Candeias. (Unless it’s “silly” money)

Whilst he’s of limited creative quality.... he’s a work-horse and a very useful player to have in the squad. Away games in Europe and occasionally away to the poets would be right up his street.

Arfield isn't a wide player and Candieas for all his limitations creates more good chances per 90 minutes than any other player in the league.

Arfield isn't a wide player and Candieas for all his limitations creates more good chances per 90 minutes than any other player in the league.

I said assuming we stick with the 4-3-2-1 then I’m taking about those in the ‘2’, where Arfield will play.

Was listening to Kris Boyd speak the other day and he says Kilmarnock got the best of Stewart when he played in that kinda inside forward role ( right hand side of the two ) rather than playing on the wing. Probably as cover for Arfield I’d imagine.

What we need to remember is we don’t need world class players , we need players who are consistent and can beat teams like Livingston , hibs , Kilmarnock etc on a regular basis , it’s not Celtic we let ourself down against this season it was the rest.

need options for 4-3-3, 4-3-2-1 etc, That’s where we went wrong this year, we couldn’t break shite teams down in with the 4-3-3 but had no options to change it up

Murphy yes 100%

And if next season it’s not happening we won’t regret spending decent money in this position?

As I said, we get decent cash for Morelos we have a chance to properly invest in the team. Why not take it?

And if next season it’s not happening we won’t regret spending decent money in this position?

As I said, we get decent cash for Morelos we have a chance to properly invest in the team. Why not take it?
We obviously invest but Murphy is a very good player that’s underrated he contributes massively to our attack be it build up, goals or assists. Fully fit he can be vital

Candeias works well in those though European games where a high work rate is essential.

It's nice to have options for different formations.

Replacing Morelos and Kent will be key to our season.

Middleton is good enough for the first team squad, he played and scored in enough games this season, he was inconsistent but he's a winger and very young at that, but our whole team was inconsistent so it's really unfair to judge on that,he is rapid and is a better finisher than Kent and candeias, would suit our new formation better than the 4 3 3, not saying he should start every week but we need to develop our talent

Murphy and Arfield behind Defoe as it currently stands with nobody coming in but I suspect we will try and get Kent in or someone similar in that position and also expect a striker or two to come in

Murphy started well but quickly faded.

We need to go to the next level. To me that means serious investment in this position, leaving the likes of Murphy as a decent squad option.

Say we get 15m for Morelos, we have a chance to invest in some serious upgrades.
Serious upgrades? We get 15m for morelos you’ll be lucky to see 10 of that. £2m gets you a grezda in todays market pricing. We cant afford to pay £5m+ on a wide player.

We don’t know how murphy will play under Gerrard. And we don’t know how he will play in the formation. My guess is he will excel in it through having a better football brain than most people in Scotland. There is a reason Arfield and Defoe link up so well. They have “EPL” level footballing intelligence. Lets not forget murphy has this also.

T
Totally agree, he definitely knows where the back of the net is.

I would agree with you on this, however for some reason I just don't think he is that good.
Hope he is back to his best though and has a good season for us.
It's not this first time I have been wrong about a player!

Think Willie vass let the cat out the bag with his comment on Kent's pic so I'm assuming he's away . Like the lad and think he's making a mistake but think he's already lined up for a team like Aston Villa who will pay the alleged £12 million if they come up
I feel in my opinion Murphy will be a big part of the Gaffers first team squad and get a lot of game time

Serious upgrades? We get 15m for morelos you’ll be lucky to see 10 of that. £2m gets you a grezda in todays market pricing. We cant afford to pay £5m+ on a wide player.

We don’t know how murphy will play under Gerrard. And we don’t know how he will play in the formation. My guess is he will excel in it through having a better football brain than most people in Scotland. There is a reason Arfield and Defoe link up so well. They have “EPL” level footballing intelligence. Lets not forget murphy has this also.

People are starting to rest on their laurels. Think back to how Murphy played last season - started well but faded quickly. Husband numbers across his career aren’t mind blowing either.

Sure I like him as a player but he should be a squad player. We will seriously regret things if we don’t invest in this position.

Think Willie vass let the cat out the bag with his comment on Kent's pic so I'm assuming he's away . Like the lad and think he's making a mistake but think he's already lined up for a team like Aston Villa who will pay the alleged £12 million if they come up
I feel in my opinion Murphy will be a big part of the Gaffers first team squad and get a lot of game time

I think it’s out of Kent’s hands mate.

I know Kent hasn't blow us away with his numbers but what makes him so much better than the others is his pace/quickness, directness and confidence to carry the ball into the attacking areas.
What he does scares the sh*t out of teams and allows us a lot of control on the attacking end of things.
Although the other wingers have some positives I dont think they provide what Kent does.

People are starting to rest on their laurels. Think back to how Murphy played last season - started well but faded quickly. Husband numbers across his career aren’t mind blowing either.

Sure I like him as a player but he should be a squad player. We will seriously regret things if we don’t invest in this position.
Your not going to get a winger whos numbers are “mind blowing” in our budget, if we are spending big it will be on morelos replacement more than likely. We already have arfield, murphy, grezda, middleton, jones & hastie.
(Appreciate grezda should be away).

You never know hastie and jones could be unreal for us in this formation. Bigger pitch, more of the ball etc. Next season will be a good one hopefully. Especially with doc, rossiter etc coming back.

I fully understand and get what your saying, just can’t see us taking a punt with big money on a wide player. This transfer window is MASSIVE and Gerrard, Allen etc need to get it right. If they do and it all gels together, 55 could be here next season.

I know Kent hasn't blow us away with his numbers but what makes him so much better than the others is his pace/quickness, directness and confidence to carry the ball into the attacking areas.
What he does scares the sh*t out of teams and allows us a lot of control on the attacking end of things.
Although the other wingers have some positives I dont think they provide what Kent does.

Yip. He’s an absolute handful.

He often dropped deep for the ball.

If his end product was as good as the rest of his game Liverpool would be asking for 25m.

Murphy was averaging an assist or goal per game. Putting up more numbers than kent ever has. I think your under valuing what murphy will bring to the table next season.

I said it in another thread, but I hope we’re not pinning loads on him.

Wrong side of 30, recovering from a knee injury, barely played any games with this squad of players - I hope fans give him time.

I said it in another thread, but I hope we’re not pinning loads on him.

Wrong side of 30, recovering from a knee injury, barely played any games with this squad of players - I hope fans give him time.
Fair point. I think jones may surprise a lot of people.

I think Murphy fully fit gives us a dangerous option, backed by Middleton and Jones, we can be direct and diverse, but to be fair to Kent, he can go either way so defenders are guessing right up until he makes a move, where as Murphy turns on to his right foot and Middleton stays on his left. Jones is a bit unknown as he hasn’t pulled on the jersey yet, but from what I have seen of him, he seems comfortable going either way, so maybe he is the answer to losing Kent? (albeit less tricky.)

Assuming we stay with the 4-3-2-1 I’m talking about players who would play in the ‘2’.

Middleton - Loan. Too good for the reserves but not good enough for the first 11.

Jones - Squad / bench

Murphy - Squad / bench

Kent - probably back to Liverpool. Makes sense to at least work under this assumption.

Stewart - Squad or bench

I think if we want to really go for the title Arfield is the only player there that gets in the first team week in week out. So we need a replacement for Kent.
This is a position I’d look to spend 4/5m in with reinvestment from the Morelos bonanza.

So we’d have

Defoe/another

I’d argue we need two players mate, maybe one of whom is younger that we can develop.

I really like Arfield but with his injury record, and age, would be good to be able to use him strategically next season.

Murphy and Hastie as regular first teamers though?

Murphy will be in and around the first 11 and Hastie will be a impact/squad player.

Despite the options I do think we need 1 or 2 players in that area with serious quality.

You could argue we already have too many wingers on the books. Murphy, Grezda and Middleton are already nowhere near the squad with this set up.

Ok, one or two of those might leave but we’ve already signed 3 (assuming Stewart). That’s bonkers, when none of them are anywhere near as good as Kent.

I don’t understand how we spend the Morelos money, unless we’re preparing to throw huge money at getting Kent permanently. Spend it on a 3 or 4 big players, and the squad is ginormous. It makes the signings of guys like Polster all the more baffling.

Yip. He’s an absolute handful.

He often dropped deep for the ball.

If his end product was as good as the rest of his game Liverpool would be asking for 25m.

I agree. His style allows him to attack teams by himself and gets us on the attack so quick.
The way he is playing now he will be such an asset in our Euro games if we are playing teams who will dominate possession and where we need to counter attack

Jones - Squad / bench

Murphy - Squad / bench

Stewart - Squad or bench

So we’d have

Defoe/another

Murphy will be excellent in that role mate.

I'm not saying he'll be starting every game, very few will, but he'll certainly get plenty game time.

If Kent doesn't come back I think we'll sign someone else to compete for his position.

So u

Jones - Squad / bench

Murphy - Squad / bench

Stewart - Squad or bench

So we’d have

Defoe/another

So hasties Stewart and Jones are better than candies..... nonsense

Back