'Widespread support' for 14 team top flight amid Scottish football restructure talks

Possibly CeItic get the votes for league placing to stand IF there is no relegation.

Don’t know what the (3rd/4th place) Championship play-off teams would make of it though

more chance of survival in a 14 team league than 12 truth be told and an easier tilt at promotion the following season

Have been in favour of a 14 team league for a while, as a 6 / 8 split is fairer & it keeps the tv companies happy.
I though from the start of this problem its the way it would go, as it keeps everyone happy apart from us !!
I think this is the way it'll pan out.
Pretty much how I feel. I expect if this is done with Celtic awarded the title we will take the SPLF to court.

It has to be top 6 bottom 8 simply because if you made it 7 and 7 there would be a team idle every week which doesn’t work for anyone .

Three leagues of 14 in Scotland has been the way to go for a long time , I hope it’s implemented but for the right reasons . And I hope it’s done properly with at least 2 up and 2 down each season.

I’d go two 7s when it splits. Still 38 games, gives each team two free dates. This also gets rid of the playing steam 3 times home or away in a season. These dates can be used where we are in Europe gives us a rest between games or you can manufacture it to have us and st Johnstone free on the same date and play the rearranged game.

Lower down look at the amount of games postponed each season these free dates could be used to play some of this games.

In terms of promotion/relegation. 2 down from premier. Championship either top 2 promoted or keep the playoffs but run like England semi finals and final between 2nd to 5th. Same for league 1. I imagine the league 1 clubs would want to keep
Only one relegated but I’d go two.

I’d go two 7s when it splits. Still 38 games, gives each team two free dates. This also gets rid of the playing steam 3 times home or away in a season. These dates can be used where we are in Europe gives us a rest between games or you can manufacture it to have us and st Johnstone free on the same date and play the rearranged game.

Lower down look at the amount of games postponed each season these free dates could be used to play some of this games.

In terms of promotion/relegation. 2 down from premier. Championship either top 2 promoted or keep the playoffs but run like England semi finals and final between 2nd to 5th. Same for league 1. I imagine the league 1 clubs would want to keep
Only one relegated but I’d go two.
How can postponed games be played If it’s only one team that’s sitting out ? It’s a free weekend for them only . The 7 and 7 split simply won’t work , which is why it needs to be 6 and 8 . Also , how often are you hoping teams in Scotland will be still in Europe after the split ? It happens once a decade if that. 6 and 8 is perfect it means 36 games for the top teams and 40 for the bottom teams which gives them some extra revenue to make up for not making the top 6 .

Which can be done without handing over trophies for 2019/20 titles which haven't been won (that shouldn't need to be part of any vote on reconstruction).

WRT last paragraph a top six bottom eight split at the half way stage sees four encounters against them in a 36 game league (40 games for the bottom eight giving them extra income from a couple of extra home games).

This is the best set up .

How can postponed games be played If it’s only one team that’s sitting out ? It’s a free weekend for them only . The 7 and 7 split simply won’t work , which is why it needs to be 6 and 8 . Also , how often are you hoping teams in Scotland will be still in Europe after the split ? It happens once a decade if that. 6 and 8 is perfect it means 36 games for the top teams and 40 for the bottom teams which gives them some extra revenue to make up for not making the top 6 .

If rangers are in top 7 and st Johnstone are in bottom 7 then both could be free same weekend as only 6 of the 7 teams can play at any match day.

If rangers are in top 7 and st Johnstone are in bottom 7 then both could be free same weekend as only 6 of the 7 teams can play at any match day.

In normal circumstances there would be no postponed games to be played after the split . Also you are looking at blowing the SPL computers tiny mind so that it has to manipulate one team from each section to be off on the same week just to play a postponed game . 7 and 7 definitely won’t work and won’t be an option , if they do switch to 3 divisions of 14 it will be the 6 and 8 split .

They can reconstruct the leagues, but our club should maintain. It's not linked to the scum being crowned champions, in an unfinished league campaign.

They're going to have to wait to see how many clubs go bust in the next 4 months before there's any particular plan.

Typical Scottish football to be trying to revolutionise the game when there's World pandemic on the go. Aye, THAT'S the time to be considering this sort of "progress"

If they reconstruct it should be either 16 or 18 team top league only home and away it would benefit everyone

Now there's a surprise!

Everyone gets promoted and no-one gets relgated.

"But hoad a minute Jimmy - wiz that no the plan Jim Traynor was plugging in the Record for years and we slaughter the lady's front bottom for it?" :p

100% was, remember reading the article thinking it was a good idea but as it came from Jim Traynor so very few people liked it.

Back