Will Aribo kick on or struggle?

AriseSirWalter

Official Ticketer
From the little we’ve seen/heard/read about Gio’s style of play it’s likely we’ll try to:
- get the ball forward more quickly,
- keep wingers high and wide to stretch the opponents defense and try isolate them with one on ones,
- keep the forward in the box most of the time.

I think we’re all hopeful that the above will get the best out of Kent and Morelos especially but I was thinking about Aribo.

Space in front of him will allow him to make late runs into the box more easily and thread through balls but he likes to dwell on the ball (or is that unfair?) and not sure that suits us getting it forward quicker.

Ultimately the more space the better for talented attacking players so I think he’ll benefit. He’s a bag of tricks with ridiculously quick feet but I think he’ll be more effective if we can create more space in attacking areas.

Think we only got glimpses of his ability under Gerrard, if we can get the most out of him, Kent, Morelos and Hagi then we’ll be unstoppable.

For all the 'tricks are for the circus' comment was linked to Kent I think in reality the management team have to be working with Aribo on this.

His first movement/touch is so often the right one but he checks back into traffic or ducks out the obvious pass too often.

So often this season he's just ended up smothered by the opposition after doing the first bit well.

Aribo needs to add numbers to his game. If he does that, he wont struggle.

Look at Hagi last night, not his greatest game, comes away with an assist. Aribo had 2/3 great chances and never took them.

However, it is the first game in the new regime and system, I think Kent, Aribo and Hagi will all flourish under Gio.

Aribo seems to dwell on the ball because he has to get it on to his left foot to make a pass or take a shot,Gio has to work with him on that.
If he were a Slim Jim or a Cooperman it might be different.

Kent’s in the exact same boat.

His finishing is just as bad at times.
I watched WBA v Forest tonight last season in England they were talking about that Diangana being a £25m+ Player. He is bang average

I understand that playing up here will mean it’s unlikely either goes for that type of money but everything I’ve seen of the three of them he couldn’t lace our players boots

Played very well last night imo and has been good all season

Once Makaay teaches him how to shoot he’ll be sorted, needs to add numbers to his game

Thought Aribo was outstanding last night bar his finishing, played with a freedom last night and not stuck into a rigid 3 man midfield, could go on and easily be anything he wants in a blue jersey

he is a great talent but so frustrating. If he could improve his decision making he could go and play at a very high level

He's cost me a few quid this season with his lack of goals (as have the team in general) I always back him to score as he is a great forward thinking player.
Just thinking about it ?
How many shots on goal did he have on Thursday?
Probably more than his previous six games combined.
Joe is one of the best .

I agree with those saying that he’s been our player of the season but who would be his competition?

I like Aribo but want him to go and command games as he has the ability.

I think the style under GVB will suit Aribo better. Gerrard never really knew how to get the best out of him or Hagi. If we use these two players properly, it can take us and them to the next level.

100% kick on. Could be our biggest export fee when the time comes. Gio will tinker with his technique but enhance his overall play. Big fan of Joe who can never be faulted for his endeavour

I think the style under GVB will suit Aribo better. Gerrard never really knew how to get the best out of him or Hagi. If we use these two players properly, it can take us and them to the next level.

Agree with this. Would also put Kent in that bracket. Often thought that the defensive duties Kent was asked to do took away from his attacking threat but think it was more to do with the lack of space in front of him.

Will flourish.

Will turn into an RDB type.

Will win POTY.

Exactly this.

Could/should have had a hat trick in a European tie in the gaffers first game.

He's been our best player this season, by far. And her I think he can go another several levels and I think Gio can get him there by allowing him to play as the 10 and play much further forward.

I used to hate Gerrard/Beale having him in the midfield 3 because I felt it took away his natural attacking instincts.

I've had this thought with both Aribo and Kent,
It's plain to see organisation is the watchword here, but there's a balance between being too prescriptive and not letting the creative players express themselves

I'm hoping to see a good balance, and if it's struck well we'll destroy teams!

The guy has talent in barrel loads. He just needs to learn to finish. If I was Gio I would have Makaay constantly going through shooting practice with him. It's the only thing missing from his game. Playing him further forward with his abundant fast footwork aligned with enhanced shooting skills could just take us to another level this season.

Last edited:
Should've had a hat trick last night.

And that's the problem with Aribo. The boy is outrageously talented but for all the silky touches and skill, he doesn't hurt or punish teams enough.

You could see him as a 10, but would he give us what Hagi does in terms of numbers ?

That goes against the majority of the posts above but I think you’re spot on. He really has to assert more influence on games.

Should've had a hat trick last night.

And that's the problem with Aribo. The boy is outrageously talented but for all the silky touches and skill, he doesn't hurt or punish teams enough.

You could see him as a 10, but would he give us what Hagi does in terms of numbers ?

That goes against the majority of the posts above but I think you’re spot on. He really has to assert more influence on games.

I really like Aribo but I can't help but feel with him nearing 26 that

1. He won't sign a new contract
2. It's not financially viable to give him a massive new contract when in all reality, it's very unlikely we're getting good money for him afterwards in his late 20's.
3. If he's moving he's moving in the next two windows otherwise no EPL team will take him to develop him further.

A good offer and I'd punt. Financially it would make sense.

Struggle to understand or agree with any argument that suggests he’ll struggle TBH.

A supremely talented player who will only get better under Dutch coaching methods.

The main thing from the formation was Aribo actually getting into the area where he receives the chances, keep doing that and the goals will surely follow as will the whole front line, looking forward to this once the Dutch crew really get hold

If he doesn’t improve his finishing then aye he might struggle.

Fantastic player on his game but his finishing is nothing short of woeful at times. Just lacks that wee bit of composure
Yes, probably our most talented player but Joe needs a better end product to play no 10 in Gios set up.

Last edited:
Aribo is a fantastic player. He will prosper under Gio. He was unlucky last night with his few chances, When he starts to take his chances he will be unstoppable.

Kent’s in the exact same boat.

His finishing is just as bad at times.
I don't know why he doesn't round the keeper or at least attempt to. He's got the lightning speed just drop the shoulder and away you go for a tap in son. Gotta beat bangin it against the keeper.

Think he will do well in that number 10 position he's a clever player knows when to make the right runs and always seems to find the space. He's frustrating at times but extremely talented player and I would love to see him add more goals to his game it's the only thing that's missing for him.

He’ll kick on, he’ll grasp the opportunity to learn imo. Just hope Steven Gerrard doesn’t come in for him in Jan

Been our best player all season and I can only see him getting better still, especially if he only has one specific position to concentrate on. Personally, he's the type you build the team around, his potential is frightening.
Just wow. Must be watching someone different to me. A top player would have had 3 goals last night. I think people see him do a dribble and then forget the 10 other times he gives the ball away or fails to track his runner when defending.

Aribo, Kent, Hagi and Morelos need the freedom to express themselves, Morelos especially needs to score. Kent Aribo and Hagi have the skills to go by players and run at defenders and can all score great goals. But if the three can channel their freedom for the benefit of one, Alfie,, I think that would produce more goals and would be major plus for the team.

I really like Aribo but I can't help but feel with him nearing 26 that

1. He won't sign a new contract
2. It's not financially viable to give him a massive new contract when in all reality, it's very unlikely we're getting good money for him afterwards in his late 20's.
3. If he's moving he's moving in the next two windows otherwise no EPL team will take him to develop him further.

A good offer and I'd punt. Financially it would make sense.
Think he is now entering PEAK years myself....worth plenty.

He can kick on if he works on his finishing. The system gave him 3 good clear chances and he didn't score with either. He is capable of scoring and if he does find himself with similar chances then he'll chip in.

I love Joe aribo, phenomenal skills and a really good player. My slight concern is he is still being described as potential 3 seasons in and whilst he's improved he hasn't quite hit that top level we all think he's capable of - no doubt if Gio can get him to improve his decision making and speed at the end of moves he could genuinelt play for anyone

All our technically better players should thrive on the Dutch coaching, for me Hagi is the one who may benefit most apart from pace he has everything and has a football brain to go along with the skills.

Just looking forward to who steps up as everyone had a blank slate when Gio arrived.

Gio will sort the system, the talents there, some good results and confidence and enthusiasm and we'll be off and running.

Back