Will Goldson sign a new deal?

People on here talking about "cashing in" on a centre back with one year on his contract?

We're not Celtic / the record. Just how much do some think you'll actually net for a defender in Scotland in that situation?

Even 8mil may be pie in the sky.

Says its 5 or 6? We "cash in". We then need to spend most of that on a replacement. Who may not be as good. There is some merit in considering the hanging on to him argument for potential CL qualification this year and next. That 30mil (twice over?) is a hell a lot more than the paltry sum perhaps on offer for a one year contract centre back.

Plus, this summer we will likely sell a valuable asset like Morelos for 20mil. Maybe more. Negating the "we must sell Goldson for any fee we can get this year" argument.

It may turn out that we should sell Goldson if he won't sign again - which is far from confirmed by the way. But its not as simple as saying we must sell if he doesn't sign. There are too many other variables. And this 8mil plus figure that we are "guaranteed" to get for his final year has been pulled out of someone's ass and repeated as a fact. Not saying we can't get 8mil for him. But far from a certainty in the situation.

People on here talking about "cashing in" on a centre back with one year on his contract?

We're not Celtic / the record. Just how much do some think you'll actually net for a defender in Scotland in that situation?

Says its 5 or 6? We "cash in". We then need to spend most of that on a replacement. Who may not be as good. There is some merit in considering the hanging on to him argument for potential CL qualification this year and next. That 30mil (twice over?) is a hell a lot more than the paltry sum perhaps on offer for a one year contract centre back.

Plus, this summer we will likely sell a valuable asset like Morelos for 20mil. Maybe more. Negating the "we must sell Goldson for any fee we can get this year" argument.

It may turn out that we should sell Goldson if he won't sign again - which is far from confirmed by the way. But its not as simple as saying we must sell if he doesn't sign. There are too many other variables. And this 8mil plus figure that we are "guaranteed" to get for his final year has been pulled out of someone's ass and repeated as a fact. Not saying we can't get 8mil for him. But far from a certainty in the situation.
What if the player wants to go? For sure, we can 'force' him to stay but that's not really an acceptable solution. If Goldson wants to stay he will sign up. If he doesn't we will 'cash in'.

I agree with you on projected fee by the way.

What if the player wants to go? For sure, we can 'force' him to stay but that's not really an acceptable solution. If Goldson wants to stay he will sign up. If he doesn't we will 'cash in'.

I agree with you on projected fee by the way.
Which adds to my point

Plenty of posters on here saying "if he won't sign sell him for £8mil"

Too many unknowns to be an either or proposition of keep him if he signs or sell him for 8mil.

This entire thread is bizarre frankly

No he won't and I would sell him. Never really trusted him and no more than decent season won't change that opinion. I'm hoping katic returns to the first team to partner helander, goldson was suspect 2 seasons ago and I feel last seasons form blinkered alot of people as to how good he actually is.

Easily the most retarded post I've read in months, well done.

No he won't and I would sell him. Never really trusted him and no more than decent season won't change that opinion. I'm hoping katic returns to the first team to partner helander, goldson was suspect 2 seasons ago and I feel last seasons form blinkered alot of people as to how good he actually is.
No more than a decent season?

you must be fishing surely :))

Off you pop son.

Class.

I’m fairly certain he’ll sign a contract. I’m more surprised that folk think he won’t. That’s not to say we wouldn’t sell him though.

But personally, I don’t see us getting many offers we deem acceptable for any of our top players. Thankfully.

Cant let him leave for free so if hes not signing a new deal Cya
Why? Is Goldson leaving Rangers on a free next summer after having played group stage champions league football this year and winning the league next May the first sign of the apocalypse?

Too many of our fans talk I’m absolutes about things that aren’t that definitive.

Why? Is Goldson leaving Rangers on a free next summer after having played group stage champions league football this year and winning the league next May the first sign of the apocalypse?

Too many of our fans talk I’m absolutes about things that aren’t

Too many of our fans talk I’m absolutes about things that aren’t that definitive.
He can sign a pre contract with other teams in jan we cant afford that to happen

Connor Goldson proved me wrong last season & I eat humble pie with his consistency.

He’s made it clear he wants another crack at the Premier League so he never signed a new deal before his summer break. I’d say his agent is seeing who may be interested & having a look around.

The thing that I would add to this is Mr Ge55ard won’t be having any players starting pre-season with CL qualification on the line with their agent doing the rounds. I think clarity on the Connor Goldson situation will come shortly after the players return from pre-season.

Any other player with 2 years on their deal isn’t a priority in my eyes…although I’d like them to sign extensions I think they’ll be bigger priority’s.

Finally I watched every kick of the ball last season & the big man was solid. I think with no supporters really suited him & when he got his double Vrs them @ the Piggery he was walking on water I’d imagine. I think he got away with a few mistakes that got punished before & I just don’t think he’s the finished article that everyone has suggested. He’s always got to play on the right hand side his natural side…I think this would have benefited a younger Katic at the time.

So if you offered me 8-10 million for him & we could keep everyone else I’d sell Goldson over anyone else in our X 11. Finally if he did sign a new deal I’d be happy enough as he’s just after a great season…but it wouldn’t surprise if mistakes started creeping in next season. I hope I’m wrong on that also.

I’d take him or leave what I’m trying to say…& I don’t see him messing Ge55ard about long into pre-season.

I love Goldson, he'd be incredibly hard to replace.

If he isn't signing an extension then i think he's more valuable to keep and let him leave on a free.
We'd get what 5m? 10m max for him?

If we qualify for the Champions League Group stages then Goldson will have been critical to that and then if we go onto win the league and the riches of near enough guaranteed group stage Champions League football next season then that's a fair deal for us if he then decides to leave at the end of his contract.

If we have a key player potentially looking to wind down their contract then it's a major issue - especially if he has something else lined up.

I am pretty sure our manager will not let this happen as we only want players totally committed to the cause.

If we have a key player potentially looking to wind down their contract then it's a major issue - especially if he has something else lined up.

I am pretty sure our manager will not let this happen as we only want players totally committed to the cause.
We’d prefer that didn’t happen.

But it’s just as plausible he could stay, help us qualify for this years groups, win the league. Between the 2 earn us £60mil plus. And then leave on a free.

So all this talk of “can’t”, “must not”, sign of the apocalypse, the world will end, is a bit much.

There are a lot of unknowns and other factors in play. He was off getting married. It could occur that any time soon we get an announcement that he has signed an extended contract.

The absolutist statements in this thread are nonsense. For innumerable reasons.

Whilst we would prefer he didn’t leave for nothing in a year’s time, the world won’t end and Rangers won’t cease to exist if he does. And I have presented one scenario where it could actually be a “positive”.

Goldson hasn't had just one good season, what nonsense. Just look at the goals against stats since before he came and now; anyone remember, not that long ago, when a cross ball was almost an invite to score? How about the European form since he arrived? Nonsense for anyone to suggest he only proved people wrong last season; Goldson just keeps proving me right, because he is such a great defender. Lose Goldson, and we will have a bit of work needed to replace him.

The moniker says it all really.

We’d prefer that didn’t happen.

But it’s just as plausible he could stay, help us qualify for this years groups, win the league. Between the 2 earn us £60mil plus. And then leave on a free.

So all this talk of “can’t”, “must not”, sign of the apocalypse, the world will end, is a bit much.

There are a lot of unknowns and other factors in play. He was off getting married. It could occur that any time soon we get an announcement that he has signed an extended contract.

The absolutist statements in this thread are nonsense. For innumerable reasons.

Whilst we would prefer he didn’t leave for nothing in a year’s time, the world won’t end and Rangers won’t cease to exist if he does. And I have presented one scenario where it could actually be a “positive”.

Nobody has said the world will end but we generally know what happens when players look to run their contract down. You can't be fully committed when that happens.

Nobody has said the world will end but we generally know what happens when players look to run their contract down. You can't be fully committed when that happens.
The absolutes used by most on this thread are patently false

The Uber is strong in this thread. I have an opinion based on what was true, 18 months ago goldson was not trusted, goldson was a liability and if many remember failed in the cup final giving away the free kick celtic scored from. 1 season does not a player make.

If he goes he goes, in 40 years following rangers far better defenders have left and we have replaced them.

As for svenson, big Karl's record wasn't fantastic but wasn't horrific either. learning next to weir might have made a difference but Walter wanted the experience of weir and ugo, history could have been the same for goldson had he not won the league this year only a far more expensive defender.

The Uber is strong in this thread. I have an opinion based on what was true, 18 months ago goldson was not trusted, goldson was a liability and if many remember failed in the cup final giving away the free kick celtic scored from. 1 season does not a player make.

If he goes he goes, in 40 years following rangers far better defenders have left and we have replaced them.

As for svenson, big Karl's record wasn't fantastic but wasn't horrific either. learning next to weir might have made a difference but Walter wanted the experience of weir and ugo, history could have been the same for goldson had he not won the league this year only a far more expensive defender.
tenor.gif

Love it when someone posts absolute manure and then doubles down on it.

Just getting deeper and deeper.

That's just silly, Goldson is the most important defender at the club, thankfully our manager isn't as daft.
It's certainly not silly you can debate who is the better CB they have different attributes for what it's with I think Phil is a better defender but CG the better player but it's not a silly comment for someone to say they would rather keep one of the other.

I hope Goldson signs a new contract with us, he has turned out to be an excellent defender and will only get better, if he won't I think we have no option than to sell him on, he will go with with his head held high and thanks from all the fans, but because he has had heart problems show up in the past would this be stumbling block for the medical he would have to take at any interested clubs, I know he hasn't had any health issues regarding his heart since he signed for us, but wondering what it would mean to other clubs.

That's just silly, Goldson is the most important defender at the club, thankfully our manager isn't as daft.
All about opinions.
Our season started to fall apart after Hellander got injured at Hampden v Celtic in the league cup final.
I also think Goldson looks a far better player when he has Hellander next to him.

I get your point and it has merit. However the club has repeatedly said it will no longer allow players to run down their contracts, it makes no financial sense.

My concern is the club was well aware that Goldson was entering his final year, surely last summer was the time to persuade Connor to extend his contract. Perhaps the club did come forward with a new offer and he refused it. After all he has never hidden his desire to play in EPL.

My feeling is that Connor will leave when then transfer window opens, we'll do well to get £8m.

I hope he signs a new contract as he's an integral part of the team....but with that being said, if he doesn't sign a new contract then we must cash in this window and get whatever we can for him. Katic is a very capable replacement....some may argue is even better than Goldson.....or has the potential to exceed Goldson.

We only have to look over the fence to see what players 'who don't want to be there' can do to a team.

Let’s not judge your ability to judge a centre half :D

So wrong.

I hope he signs a new contract as he's an integral part of the team....but with that being said, if he doesn't sign a new contract then we must cash in this window and get whatever we can for him. Katic is a very capable replacement....some may argue is even better than Goldson.....or has the potential to exceed Goldson.

We only have to look over the fence to see what players 'who don't want to be there' can do to a team.
Katic was a raw and decent centre half with a good deal of potential before he got injured.

now he is in the enviable place that many players end up. injured and ten times better.

katic could be great for us. but he is easily two years from that. a year to get back playing and a year refining his game.

What if what we can get is 3mil?

I like Katic but he is some way off the level of Goldson/Helander.

Only really Balogun is close that's why I'm convinced we will sign another defender this summer.

Katic will likely go out on loan for a season he needs 30/40 games.

Edmundson and Simpson aren't up to it for me unfortunately.

What if what we can get is 3mil?
Then we take whatever we can get.
Although Goldson is worth a lot more...I'd rather that £3m being spent on a defender who wants to be here.
We picked up a katic for less than that.
It's just the unfortunate thing about football today.
Hopefully it doesn't come to that and the big man signs on another deal.

Katic was a raw and decent centre half with a good deal of potential before he got injured.

now he is in the enviable place that many players end up. injured and ten times better.

katic could be great for us. but he is easily two years from that. a year to get back playing and a year refining his game.
I take your points on board, and they're very valid.
It's just I don't like the idea of players in our team with one eye focused elsewhere. I'd rather we get something for Goldson to reinvest in the team than nothing.

Then we take whatever we can get.
Although Goldson is worth a lot more...I'd rather that £3m being spent on a defender who wants to be here.
We picked up a katic for less than that.
It's just the unfortunate thing about football today.
Hopefully it doesn't come to that and the big man signs on another deal.
Someone started this narrative of "we must sell every player in the last year of their contract regardless of context and situation" and everyone thinks it makes them more enlightened to parrot it

Its not as simple as sell for a bag of peanuts this summer

Back