Will Goldson sign a new deal?

If he definitely won't sign even a 1 year extension on better money, I think we have to sell. We won't get huge money because of the league - English teams simply won't be paying large sums for our awful league, despite him playing so well last season.

If he does sign a new deal, its huge for us. I have a feeling he won't (based on absolutely nothing, just my gut) and the absolute most we can hope for is a 1 year extension, which kicks this bucket down the road for 12 months but with CL qualifiers upcoming, that would be fine.

I like Katic but he is some way off the level of Goldson/Helander.

Only really Balogun is close that's why I'm convinced we will sign another defender this summer.

Katic will likely go out on loan for a season he needs 30/40 games.

Edmundson and Simpson aren't up to it for me unfortunately.
When Katic was fit and on form. He was my first choice defender, honestly thought the guy was solid, would run through a brick wall for us, never really put a foot wrong, and the goal threat from him at corners (Goldson has that same trait too) is another plus..... Goldson has came on leaps and bounds since his Katic's injury, and it's hard to argue against Goldson being our best and most consistent defender presently.

But if your heart isn't fully in Rangers FC, then I'm afraid I'd rather you not be there.
Just my thoughts mate.

I don’t know why, but I get the feeling he’s waiting and hoping for an offer from an EPL side. He might feel he has some unfinished business.

If Goldson leaves on a free it might taint his reputation amongst fans.

Some people will say it is Rangers' fault for not offering enough money to him, but we will be offering him a very good wage.

There is hardly any TV money in Scotland so we can't afford EPL standard wages, also the clubs finances shouldn't be geared to rely on unreliable Champions League money, it is a competition that is difficult to qualify for every season.

Last edited:
Goldson is the foundation of the whole team and the captain as much as tav. It’s his last serious contract and he won’t be short of offers. He also wants to play in the premier league and family is his priority.

I know he loves Rangers, he genuinely does, but I suspect if we get a very good offer he’ll go after the champions league qualifiers.

Someone started this narrative of "we must sell every player in the last year of their contract regardless of context and situation" and everyone thinks it makes them more enlightened to parrot it

Its not as simple as sell for a bag of peanuts this summer
Hey I'm not wanting the big man to go. As I said I hope he signs a new deal....but I'll take a bag of peanuts right now, rather than having a disinterested high earner on our books...and having no option but having to accept a penny chew in 6 months time.

Last edited:
Ross Wilson will rightly not let high value players leave for £0.

That's just a fact.
This 'just let him leave for nothing', it's complete nonsense.

If he’s not for signing then he’ll be on the way shortly.

Hope it doesn’t come to that and he extends his contract shortly...if he doesn’t? More fool him but the best of luck too.

Someone started this narrative of "we must sell every player in the last year of their contract regardless of context and situation" and everyone thinks it makes them more enlightened to parrot it

Its not as simple as sell for a bag of peanuts this summer
This idea that keeping goldson = CL money is bollocks.

Could end up with neither.

Goldson has been quite open about his desire for another crack at playing in the EPL, however I doubt he fancies joining a team fighting relegation. My guess is that he's looking to see what's on offer at mid table teams in the EPL and if nothing is attractive he'll stay at Rangers. If he does move on, I have every confidence that he'll be adequately replaced.

Goldson has been quite open about his desire for another crack at playing in the EPL, however I doubt he fancies joining a team fighting relegation. My guess is that he's looking to see what's on offer at mid table teams in the EPL and if nothing is attractive he'll stay at Rangers. If he does move on, I have every confidence that he'll be adequately replaced.
And he will go with best wishes. If he chooses to. Which I hope he doesn’t :D

I’m torn on it slighty . Given he now has less than a year we are probably looking at getting between £6m-£8m for him now in all honesty.

If he doesn’t indicate by end of June that he’s willing to sign a new deal then sell

I’m torn on it slighty . Given he now has less than a year we are probably looking at getting between £6m-£8m for him now in all honesty.

If he doesn’t indicate by end of June that he’s willing to sign a new deal then sell
It's ultimately up to him if he's commited he will sign a new deal if not it's better we move him on and get someone else in if we can get that £6m-£8m we can sign someone like Doekhi or Okumu for about £2 million a younger alternative on a longer deal with greater potential to make money on

Goldson is the foundation of the whole team and the captain as much as tav. It’s his last serious contract and he won’t be short of offers. He also wants to play in the premier league and family is his priority.

I know he loves Rangers, he genuinely does, but I suspect if we get a very good offer he’ll go after the champions league qualifiers.

Goldson is very reliable and consistent. He rarely misses games due to injury or has a bad game.

It's ultimately up to him if he's commited he will sign a new deal if not it's better we move him on and get someone else in if we can get that £6m-£8m we can sign someone like Doekhi or Okumu for about £2 million a younger alternative on a longer deal with greater potential to make money on
Okumu away to Gent by the looks of things.

Optimism isn't usually my thing but for some reason, I am confident Goldson will sign an extension.

However, that doesn't mean that I am confident that he will stay.

The big man loves the club and I believe will want the club to get the highest fee possible for him when an English club comes calling. An extension with a minimum release clause suits everyone, I think.

Doekhi maybe the more natural Goldson replacement anyway I reckon and apparently available for £1.5 million would be a bargain pick up performed well in a defensively solid Vitesse side and brought up through the Ajax academy so can play a bit
The reports suggest he's the real deal similar playing style to Van Dijk.

For the touted fee that's been talked about it's a no brainer.

For me have Goldson/Helander as the main pairing integrate someone as Doekhi as a rotate option 6/12 months down the line he could be a main pick.

Goldson/Helander/Doekhi/Balogun

Sell Edmundson
Loan out Katic/Simpson

That's an improvement regardless of our options as it stands.

Optimism isn't usually my thing but for some reason, I am confident Goldson will sign an extension.

However, that doesn't mean that I am confident that he will stay.

The big man loves the club and I believe will want the club to get the highest fee possible for him when an English club comes calling. An extension with a minimum release clause suits everyone, I think.
If he loved the club he would have signed the deal that was offered

When Katic was fit and on form. He was my first choice defender, honestly thought the guy was solid, would run through a brick wall for us, never really put a foot wrong, and the goal threat from him at corners (Goldson has that same trait too) is another plus..... Goldson has came on leaps and bounds since his Katic's injury, and it's hard to argue against Goldson being our best and most consistent defender presently.

But if your heart isn't fully in Rangers FC, then I'm afraid I'd rather you not be there.
Just my thoughts mate.
Alfie didn't want to be here...

If he loved the club he would have signed the deal that was offered

It's also entirely possible he is still negotiating a new deal.

Perhaps he has been tabled two offers; a 2 yr extension if we qualify for the CL and a 1 yr extension if we don't.

I may have totally missed it but I haven't heard either Goldson or his agent agitating for a move in the way Édouard, Ajer, Ntcham and others have.

I can't remember the last time Rangers didn't allow a player who didn't want to be here to leave. I like to think wee things like trust matter when it comes to these things. We'll honour a gentleman's agreement to sell him next year after he puts himself on display in the CL. Perhaps I am naive in that thinking.

Some nonsense being spoken here. The guy is 28 years old, defenders usually peak around the age of 30 so he has his best years ahead of him. Wilson and our board will rightly value him at 7+ million and whoever pays it will be getting a bargain at that. The days of undervaluing our squad are gone!

No he won't and I would sell him. Never really trusted him and no more than decent season won't change that opinion. I'm hoping katic returns to the first team to partner helander, goldson was suspect 2 seasons ago and I feel last seasons form blinkered alot of people as to how good he actually is.
Best ever defensive record from a team that had only 1 player on the pitch for every second of every league game. Aye blinkered

Last edited:
Best ever defensive record from a team that had only 1 player on the pitch for every second of every league game. Aye bkinkered
He really needs to read that again and again till it sinks in. We set defensive records left right and centre; goals conceded, no games lost, clean sheets, etc, and one of the centre half’s in said team played every single minute.

I like Katic but he is some way off the level of Goldson/Helander.

Only really Balogun is close that's why I'm convinced we will sign another defender this summer.

Katic will likely go out on loan for a season he needs 30/40 games.

Edmundson and Simpson aren't up to it for me unfortunately.

Agree with this CB.

55 has been brilliant, and Goldson has been a vital part of that.

However, as a club we should always want to more forward, both as a business & as a team.

If we get a 8-10m offer for Connor, I’d use the cash to sign Okumu & Doekhi. Both to me appear to have strength & pace we don’t have.
We could probably secure them for 6m total ?

That would allow at least Edmondson to move on for maybe 500k, and would give Niko & Simpson opportunities to prove themselves possibly on loan, or clarify in our minds that they won’t be good enough before we lose Balogun.

What I think this would do is give us more balance in central defence between pace & power & poise, an area I think we don’t quite have right against top European teams just yet.

Just my thoughts mate.
Katic isn’t anywhere near the level of Goldson (before or after injury). Anyone who watches Rangers on a regular basis and can take in what they are seeing will know this.

If he does not sign before the new season it means that his heart is not in Glasgow?
So, let him go!

The idea that any sale is a good deal is bollocks
If you have someone who doesnt want to extend going into the last 12 months we should sell to the highest offer we get.

There is no guarantee he wont get injured or give his all.

He is replaceable, we arent talking about us asking the likes of a Laudrup to stay just a good centre half.

Seen some shite on here down the years but this is up there
No he won't and I would sell him. Never really trusted him and no more than decent season won't change that opinion. I'm hoping katic returns to the first team to partner helander, goldson was suspect 2 seasons ago and I feel last seasons form blinkered alot of people as to how good he actually is.

We would sorely miss the big man if he were to leave. Hope we can get him to stay.
Strange that we haven’t heard anything.

Goldson is very reliable and consistent. He rarely misses games due to injury or has a bad game.
Whilst I do agree, I don't see any top half EPL team taking a punt on him. Maybe one of the newly promoted teams or consistent lower half strugglers would shell out something decent for a fee, but unlikely to be more that 5-6million with 12 months left on his deal.

If its his last big contract, you can see why he's not committing yet. Probably testing the waters to see if there is interest out there vs. the offer that's on the table from us. Hope the big man would prefer to win some more trophies, but in a short career, maximising the money earned for his family's long-term future is likely his prime motivation.

Goldson will sign a new contract and stay.

Let's be honest, the only teams he would get near in the EPL are relegation fodder.

That or the Champions League, it's a no brainer.

I don't understand alot of people who think like that. If he does go to a relegation side hel most likely get alot more money. Hel be playing at world class stadiums most weeks with better facilities, hel play 4 champions league teams. If he's confident in his ability and he does have a great season there then he's instantly picked up to a mid table side.

If he stays hes on less money. And it's going to be tough to make the group's but if we do hel play in the champions league for realistically 6 games then back to the toni maccaroni etc. Then be in the same position at the end of next season where better clubs in the epl still won't be quite sure so hel have to accept a lesser team. If he was a bit younger I think another year wouldn't do him harm on reaching where he wants to be at but at his age it could go against him.

Back