Will SG go with Goldson / Helander on Sunday?

Gazza no8

Official Ticketer
And if he doesn’t , who will he drop??

Personally I don’t think he will change it and if we get beat and our central defence contribute their latest form then SG comes under huge pressure from the fans.

I think Katic should be in for Goldson as he has to know his performances are costing us.

I also think if he puts Helander our if they team it will put the big Swedes nose out if joint as he has been better than Goldson.... but so was Katic at start of the season

These two will start because Katic and Edmundson have no games under their belts. This would unfortunately be too much of a risk.

But I think we are all now worried about our defence on Sunday. I cannot believe how slow Helander looked.

Hopefully we are 4-0 up before the first brain fart.

Going by the threads on the Board, this is a minority opinion, but I hope he does stick with Goldson and Helander.

They are a strong partnership that have done a thousand times more good than anything bad.

That’s why we have only dropped points in 3 games all season, and are absolutely rocking elsewhere domestically and in Europe.

I’m not defending them from last nights shit show, but that’s because the whole team was to blame last night.

My team for the Beasts isn’t far different from last night.

McGregor

Tav Goldson Helander Barisic (please be fit)

Jack Davis Kamara

Arfield Morelos Kent

Of course he will.

Katic should never have dropped out the starting 11, if anyone was dropping out for Helander it should have been Goldson.
All are good CHs , however Helander is slow, Katic can get turned by getting too close to strikers however he doesn’t tend to make errors that cause goals.
Goldson however is prone to sleeping at set pieces and having brain farts that cause goals.

Of course he will.

The only decisions to be made are who starts in 2 positions out of Aribo/Arfield/Kamara.

Nothing mental is going to happen with team selection and nor should it.

We need to play with a bit of width surely? It was painful to watch being so narrow at Ibrox.

It’s a double-edged sword situation - if he plays CG & FH and they have a shocker, the fans will understandably be p*ssed off. If he throws in Katic having not played since mid October and he has a ‘mare, the fans will also be p*ssed off.

Helanders lack of pace really concerns me for Sunday tbh. Edouard, nae neck and Christie will be told to run at him from the off, he will have a torrid time up against their attacking players IMO.

Of course he will. And it may prove you be the right decision.
I do worry about Helander’s lack of pace though.

I'm positive Goldson and Helander will start on Sunday.

To be honest, I don't think Katic and/or Edmunson would improve our defence for Sunday. Neither have played much football recently and will not be up to speed. That's not to say I think Goldson and Helander are the best pairing longer term by the way!

I do also think that, in the eyes of our fans at least, Katic and Edmunson seem to get better with every game they DON'T play. Don't people remember the dreadful OF display at Ibrox in September? Katic was very much part of that shambolic display.

When certain players aren't performing well, we're quick to forget any negatives about the guys sitting on the bench.
The same could be said about those who call for Tavernier to be dropped after a mistake or two. "Drop him for Flanagan or Polster!"

There is not a chance he is dropping either of them out for a cup final.

I just hope Barisic makes it back into the squad, we could seriously punish them down that left.

It’s a double-edged sword situation - if he plays CG & FH and they have a shocker, the fans will understandably be p*ssed off. If he throws in Katic having not played since mid October and he has a ‘mare, the fans will also be p*ssed off.

Helanders lack of pace really concerns me for Sunday tbh. Edouard, nae neck and Christie will be told to run at him from the off, he will have a torrid time up against their attacking players IMO.

If I was Lennon ( what a horrible though :)) ) I would say press in the middle of the park when our defence has the ball and run at that right wing due to Tav being out of position a lot and put pressure on the right sided CH (Goldson).
If Barisic plays I think they will get less joy on the left however if he doesn’t they will be getting their midfield to win the battle and to constantly supply their wingers to expose the gaps.

SG has to be aware of this so it is crucial Davis , Jack and Kamara are up for this and win their battles and get Kent on the ball quickly to pressurise their right back. We have to be getting the ball to Alfie and supporting him.
I would play Katic with Helander and say they have to be tight and disciplined with Jack dropping back to cover when Tav and Barisic are attacking.

I'm positive Goldson and Helander will start on Sunday.

To be honest, I don't think Katic and/or Edmunson would improve our defence for Sunday. Neither have played much football recently and will not be up to speed. That's not to say I think Goldson and Helander are the best pairing longer term by the way!

I do also think that, in the eyes of our fans at least, Katic and Edmunson seem to get better with every game they DON'T play. Don't people remember the dreadful OF display at Ibrox in September? Katic was very much part of that shambolic display.

When certain players aren't performing well, we're quick to forget any negatives about the guys sitting on the bench.
The same could be said about those who call for Tavernier to be dropped after a mistake or two. "Drop him for Flanagan or Polster!"

Goldson caused that goal, fed up with this revisionist nonsense that somehow Katic was at fault.

I’d quite like to see Katic come in beside them in a back 3 (perhaps as the tidying up sweeper).

Goldson’s form is worrying but I wouldn’t drop him; Katic can give extra protection if Goldson makes his usual unforced errors.

Our problem is that when Goldson makes a mistake, Hellander doesn’t have the recovery pace to make up for it. And Tav is often too far forward. Dropping Katic in there could solve both those issues on Sunday.

Going by the threads on the Board, this is a minority opinion, but I hope he does stick with Goldson and Helander.

They are a strong partnership that have done a thousand times more good than anything bad.

That’s why we have only dropped points in 3 games all season, and are absolutely rocking elsewhere domestically and in Europe.

I’m not defending them from last nights shit show, but that’s because the whole team was to blame last night.

McGregor

Jack Davis Kamara

Arfield Morelos Kent
My team as well.

Goldson caused that goal, fed up with this revisionist nonsense that somehow Katic was at fault.
I didn't say the first goal that day wasn't Goldson's fault. Nor did I say that it was Katic's fault, so I'm not sure where you're coming from.

For what it's worth, my view on the goal is that if Goldson doesn't make the unforced error, typical of his play this weather, then there is no situation to defend. So, he's undoubtedly at fault. However, the defending the followed was shambolic. Katic was very much part of that.
The Celtic player received the ball from Goldson on the half way line and as he moved forward he had only two options ahead of him in Eduoard and Forrest. At this point, Rangers have five or six players behind the ball (seven if you include McGregor). Katic is the deepest defender and mistimes stepping up to play Eduoard offside when he should really just track the run.
I'm sure I remember Gerrard post-match singling out the mistake to play offside rather than the mistake to give the ball away in the first place.
[For me, 85% Goldon's fault, 15% Katic and others].

Anyway, I was making a more general point about fans seeming to think that Katic and/or Edmunson will solve all our problems and forgetting that they also have their faults (admittedly, Edmunson hasn't really been tested).

I've no doubt he will. Expect to see Ojo as well so like many I'm preparing for the worst on Sunday.

McGregor

Jack Davis Kamara

Arfield Morelos Kent
The 3 games we have dropped points in are the kind of games we need to be taking maximum points if we are going to win the league. The likes of games vs Hamilton etc should be taking care of themselves. It’s the Hibs / hearts / sheep away we need to win and in the old firms we need to take points from them.

Agree with the OP on both counts. Should be Katic for Goldson, but we'll go with the same 2. I just hope to god Barisic is available.

The 3 games we have dropped points in are the kind of games we need to be taking maximum points if we are going to win the league. The likes of games vs Hamilton etc should be taking care of themselves. It’s the Hibs / hearts / sheep away we need to win and in the old firms we need to take points from them.

We can’t expect to win every game outside the matches against them.

Last night is infuriating because we threw away a 2-0 lead. That blame doesn’t solely lie with Goldson and Helander. That’s the entire team getting the cigars and slippers out and generally making a lady's front bottom of it.

But these players have been by and large outstanding for us all season. That’s why I wouldn’t be changing much for Sunday.

People are forgetting the current partnership is what has help build where we are this season including europe!!

I am far more concerned about our fullbacks if Borna is not fit!

I would also Jack and Davis to not put pressure on the CHs by playing the ball when we are out of position

Yes, I think he will, I also think Ojo will be a sub.
The manager has to decide whether he wants to develop Ojo or win a cup. I ripped Murty for his WIndass project, Gerrard is looking similar with SO.

I get the feeling that SG gave Goldson assurances that he is the main man when he got him to sign. He wont be dropped i fear...... even though he should have been weeks ago.

I just hope that if the pair are picked again on Sunday, they have been stung by the criticism and go out with a real determination to prove everyone wrong..... fingers crossed !!!

If Borna is fit the only place in the team up for grabs is who plays on the right side of the attack.the back 4 will be the same back four we have been playing for weeks,the midfield will be Davis,jack and kamara.alfie and Kent up front and a choice between airfield,Stewart, ojo or arebo

Do you think he's going to bring in someone out of the cold, for the biggest game of the season?

Does my head in the amount of people that think just bringing in Katic for Goldson will solve all our issues. He might be right footed but he doesn't even play on the same side as Goldson. It might be as simple as that on FIFA but not necessarily in real life.

Rather than just saying it Gerrard needs to commit to the players performance equals starting place line that we have heard numerous times. Transfer fees and age/experience should be put aside and the team picked on merit and performances.
On the little evidence we have, in my opinion George Edmundson should be a lot closer to the starting line up than what he appears to be. His pace and comfortable style on the ball are attributes that we could be doing with just now.

McGregor

Jack Davis Kamara

Arfield Morelos Kent
Last night was first time Helander & Goldson have dropped points in the league as a pairing. Katic & Goldson played vs tims & hearts.

Think you have the team bang on, hopefully Borna is fit we missed him big time last night.

Yes. Absolutely. Last night was a bad night, but until last night we had the best defence in the league, the only change will be Barasic coming back in.

Are people wanting McGregor dropped as well? He didn’t exactly cover himself in glory either. It was just a bad night all round.

We actually have the issue now where if you drop one of them and being in someone from cold storage, odds are they are not match fit and probably shouldn't be thrown into a cup final.

Tgis
I’d quite like to see Katic come in beside them in a back 3 (perhaps as the tidying up sweeper).

Goldson’s form is worrying but I wouldn’t drop him; Katic can give extra protection if Goldson makes his usual unforced errors.

Our problem is that when Goldson makes a mistake, Hellander doesn’t have the recovery pace to make up for it. And Tav is often too far forward. Dropping Katic in there could solve both those issues on Sunday.
This

Far too risky a game to chuck guys in who have had very few minutes, despite the fact the current 2 have been under performing to what we know they are capable off

You can’t throw in young CB’s with little to no game time in recent months. Gerrards made a rod for his own back by sticking with his current pairing, if he does throw either in it flies in the face of what he was saying about protecting the younger players and being smart about when to utilise them etc.

We have to stick with the pairing we have and pray Goldson can get through it without playing them through on goal, or stopping to remonstrate with the ref while play is still going. Hopefully it doesn’t go to extra time, if he can’t get through 90 minutes in these games without gifting a freebie then there’s fùck all chance of lasting 120.

I still think it's a multi-faceted problem:

Full back are attackers which means two of the middle three are covering the wings.

Davis as the midfield anchor is not going to crunch into tackles and screen like a traditional screening midfielder.

Helander's lack of pace combined with Goldson's fragility.

Our habit of over-elaborating and playing high risk football at the edge of our own box as we try to spring the transition.

Our inability to cope with a high press.

The lack of match-winners or people demanding the ball when things are not going well.

A Warburtonesque devotion to a system, regardless of the opposition, although equally SG's conservative 5 midfielders at Ibrox v Them was a huge problem.

I think we've a soft-underbelly that isn't just about the two CH's.

Walter would probably play Edmundson as a holding midfielder on Sunday.

The two Ronnie's who have kept about 12 or 13 clean sheets in 17ish games?

I would have taken a few leaked goals prior to this and solid performance last night resulting in a win and the team morale still high. Instead we have a team who will struggle mentally to get up for Sunday with nervousness in the stands and on the pitch.

Goldson in particular owes us loyal fans one hell of a performance on Sunday and he should be told of this on no uncertain terms

McGregor

Jack Davis Kamara

Arfield Morelos Kent
Agree with you, and if we play the way we did in the first 35 for the majority of the game, we will beat them.

Back