Will we buy any proven real quality players?

Right now the best leagues for value & quality (for our market) are Ligue 2 and Bundesliga 2 I’d say.

Would love us to heavily scout they leagues.
Ligue 2 is brilliant place to pick up players for a buttons who, if they played in the top 5 divisions, would be multi million pound players. A market the mentally challengeds scout heavily.

I think there'll be one or two £3m + players bought.

To be honest, there needs to be. Last season showed we're missing a couple of "difference makers" that turn draws into wins.

Just a question-where/what position would see this type of signing? With who we have in the team already and those that are close to signing-who would be dropped/sold etc.. to make way for this player (who would be a starter)?. Personally I only see the CB position-a guy that would partner Goldson.

Up until the last few weeks I thought we’d spend at least £6m on 2/3 quality players. The same amount we spent last summer.

However, now I have doubts we’ll bring any more in except Aribo which is extremely disappointing.

Feel we have a proper chance of catching them this season and a failure to bring in a few quality players may let them off the hook again. I suspect they’ll strengthen their squad too.

Ps - even if Aribo signs, I feel we need a playmaker and if Kent doesn’t come back, a replacement for him that is an upgrade on Jones

I still have high hopes for barisic if he gets a good preseason under his belt and stay injury free he could be a key player for us next season. So I wouldn't expect any movement on a Lb until nearer the end of the window to see if barisic can step up and become the player we thiught we were getting. He's been playing well for Croatia and he's had a year to settle in so he knows what to expect this coming season and it's upto him to rise to the occasion

I respect your opinion mate but is this not more just of hope than anything else?

I don’t really see where there is even space for investment now. There is large amount of average players taking up space in this squad IMO, and its too difficult to move a big volume of players, hence how big our squad is.

LB, CB & AM are the only areas left that have space for players. If you believe the poster on here theres a good chance of Lowe being our LB, so that leaves 2 positions.

Stevie wasn’t happy with the dearth of quality last season. He’s also on record as saying those not good enough to wear the shirt, or working hard enough to earn one, will be shown the door.

That will happen, but it will take time to free that space. We won’t be inundated with offers for some of them.

They will be gone though.

As much as it’s our dreams and our success he’s managing, he’s also staking his reputation on Rangers. He will not want to fail. He didn’t when I knew him well.

So I’m absolutely certain there will be genuine, bums off seats quality coming in to Rangers this summer. Utterly convinced of it,

I still think we could use another striker

If Morelos stays there’s a good chance he’ll be gone in Jan

We need someone who can come in and get bedded in

Defoe is a year older more likely prone to injury

It feels like a gamble just relying these two....

Up until the last few weeks I thought we’d spend at least £6m on 2/3 quality players. The same amount we spent last summer.

However, now I have doubts we’ll bring any more in except Aribo which is extremely disappointing.

Feel we have a proper chance of catching them this season and a failure to bring in a few quality players may let them off the hook again. I suspect they’ll strengthen their squad too.

This is the type of post I was referencing when talking impatience. We’ve had some players in for a week.

There are 6/7/8 players nor even back for training yet.

It’s June 21st. On what planet are we stopping at Aribo? How can you think that? What evidence points that way.

It’s utter madness.

I think the reason we sign so many Bosman's is so that when we need to spend x million on a player we have the money available. If a suitable player becomes available at, say, a Goldson level transfer fee we will go all out to sign him.

Let say below this is our starting 11 next year if everything that we have heard goes through:

McGregor
Tav Goldson (Katic/New) (BB/New)

Kamara/Aribo/Arfield

Ojo/Morelos/Kent

Personally I dont see us spending that on a left back-I do on a CB though.
Therefore-If we get all these players along with who we already have-where do you all see us spending the money on a marquee player?
Maybe someone to replace Ojo or Arfield?
I know we are always looking for quality but I if we get these guys above-what else do we need?

Serious question.

I am happy with the signings so far but is a bit of reminiscing of last summer getting deals done early in the loan market and taking the gamble on smaller fee unknown players as well as a few out of contract players.

Are we in a position to spend 3-4 million on a quality player it’s a serious question?

Although if we manage to get Kent for another year which is basically like buying a player for 1 year and the pressure on Joe Aribo (if he signs) is enormous with how long it has dragged out it will be a major boost.

Or will our real proven quality come as a loan like Andre Gray for example or someone of that caliber?

I think it would happen only if we move Alfredo on.

I seriously don't understand why people think we need to make big improvements to win the league, we only need to overhaul that mob who are no great shakes.

Without doubt we must improve but the players we have already signed and are close to signing have done that. I think the Bosman signings will surprise some folk.

Last season when we lost Murphy and then Kent there was a real lack of competition for wide places and at times I felt there was a lack of competition in the middle of the park. For me these issues have already mainly been addressed, particularly if we can get the Aribo deal over the line.

As others have said the transfer window is barely open and I'm sure there will still be comings and goings right up to the window closes. I have full belief that Gerrard and his staff know what we need and will do all they can to get it.

I think it will only happen if we get rid of a good few players out of SG’s plan and also probably Morelos.

I think that will happen, as i think we need to clear out 3 or 4 players, and buy a quality goalscorer.
As i think we need at least 3 good strikers in the squad.

Let say below this is our starting 11 next year if everything that we have heard goes through:

McGregor
Tav Goldson (Katic/New) (BB/New)

Kamara/Aribo/Arfield

Ojo/Morelos/Kent

Personally I dont see us spending that on a left back-I do on a CB though.
Therefore-If we get all these players along with who we already have-where do you all see us spending the money on a marquee player?
Maybe someone to replace Ojo or Arfield?
I know we are always looking for quality but I if we get these guys above-what else do we need?
I’m hoping for something like this;

McGregor
Tav Goldson Suchy? BB/Flanagan
Kamara Davis Aribo
Arfield Koljic? Kent/Ojo

Suchy(or similar) on a bosman with a signing on fee and decent wages for CH to battle with Goldson and Katic.
Koljic(or similar)to battle with Defoe for striker slot.Rudden as third choice,or Kent/Stewart as a false nine.

Morelos the only significant sale from the first team which should still provide funds for January if needed left over.

I think you can get players worth 3 or 4 million free at the end of their contracts or on loan. We’ve done that. Look at the chaos created by the filth signing that boy from ‘well for 3 million and big wages. The gaffer’s been around and knows what he’s doing. Last season was good and next season will be better.

I think there will be one quality signing for a few million plus Aribo is about a 4 million pound player.and If kent comes that'll save us from having to spend a few mill on a replacement . We are bringing in quality, doesnt matter how much we actually spend

Kalas, Lowe, Aribo, Kent, Gray, are the players I want signed. If it means selling Morelos then so be it and I think there will be a massive push to offload a lot of fringe players/dross.
And who replaces Alfie and what funds that in your plan?

I think Aribo and Kent will sign.

I don't think we'll sign anyone else after that unless we sell Morelos or Tavernier for big cash.

I suppose it's whether you'd rather keep Tav and Alfie or whether you'd cash in and replace them plus spend a bit of cash.

This is the type of post I was referencing when talking impatience. We’ve had some players in for a week.

There are 6/7/8 players nor even back for training yet.

It’s June 21st. On what planet are we stopping at Aribo? How can you think that? What evidence points that way.

It’s utter madness.

As you’ve already pointed out, we have a huge squad and close to 15 bodies on good money that don’t contribute so it won’t be easy to shift them

I’ll be delighted to be wrong but I can’t see us keep adding numbers without a fair chunk of wasters leaving

I think Aribo and Kent will sign.

I don't think we'll sign anyone else after that unless we sell Morelos or Tavernier for big cash.

I suppose it's whether you'd rather keep Tav and Alfie or whether you'd cash in and replace them plus spend a bit of cash.

Tav should be kept at all costs. We won’t replace him unless we spent a fortune

Morelos whilst he bangs in goals, I would sell if we got a high offer as his discipline is and will be an ongoing issue. Defoe also looked the part when he stepped in

I seriously don't understand why people think we need to make big improvements to win the league, we only need to overhaul that mob who are no great shakes.

Without doubt we must improve but the players we have already signed and are close to signing have done that. I think the Bosman signings will surprise some folk.

Last season when we lost Murphy and then Kent there was a real lack of competition for wide places and at times I felt there was a lack of competition in the middle of the park. For me these issues have already mainly been addressed, particularly if we can get the Aribo deal over the line.

As others have said the transfer window is barely open and I'm sure there will still be comings and goings right up to the window closes. I have full belief that Gerrard and his staff know what we need and will do all they can to get it.

No great shakes who just won their third treble. It’s this complacency that I hope is only fan based. “Their shite so we don’t need to improve that much”. No, we need to improve and be the best regardless of them

If we tie up Aribo I think it's been a pretty decent window so far. Assuming we keep a hold of Tav and Morelos, I'd say we only need to add 1 player although it must be a player of quality. Although we haven't spent much in this window we are probably sitting at the top end of a comfortable level of squad wages. I think we will have to see a few fringe players go before anyone of note is signed.

with big fees go big wages , i think we will have to be clever in the transfer market and through time get the best out of our younger players ,

I’d hope we’ll get one “marquee” signing, but not much more beyond what we’ve currently got/what we’re in for. Some expectations are a bit high, as usual.
I don’t think they are. We are bringing on board a hell of a lot of what appear to be squad players. Reducing that by half to bring in one of two bigger signings would not be unreasonable.

I’ve said since last season that I think there’s a big difference between what many fans class as ‘quality’ and what the management do.

No great shakes who just won their third treble. It’s this complacency that I hope is only fan based. “Their shite so we don’t need to improve that much”. No, we need to improve and be the best regardless of them

Complacency? Really? Their team is one of the worst I have seen win a league title never mind this pish of a treble treble. We played them completely off the park in 2 and a half games, the half game being with 10 men.

In my opinion we have already improved our squad and before the end of the window will have done so further. As I said in my previous comment we finish above them and we win the title. I don't think we'll blow the same points we did last season.

If you want to put them on a pedestal batter in but I see them as very ordinary.

As one astute poster said, it's only June 21st & a lot of available players are still on beaches or at tournaments so WE (the support) don't even know who is available, but I hope our Managerial team do. I would like us to sign a top quality game - changing player as I don't think the scum are just going to stand still, but our finances dictate that we have to be spot on with our choice and unless we sell either Tav or Alfredo it might be a loan signing.

I still think we could use another striker

If Morelos stays there’s a good chance he’ll be gone in Jan

We need someone who can come in and get bedded in

Defoe is a year older more likely prone to injury

It feels like a gamble just relying these two....

I'd agree if Morelos stays we need another option-if he goes we need 2. Lafferty has = a striker missing.

I would argue Scott Arfield, Steven Davis, Alan McGregor and Conor Goldson last season were all 'proven quality' players, given that they all had a good amount of experience in the Premier League.

A couple more players coming in this season of that ilk would do nicely.

At this point, I can’t see it. Even though it’s still early, and I appreciate there is a lot of time left in the window, but we really need genuine quality.

A poster mentioned we need quality to bridge the gap. The only gap was in consistency, not quality.

Others mention genuine quality. We have quality players, they just need to perform consistently.

Someone else mentioned players that make a difference and said Stewart and Jones werent those players. Pretty sure both made the difference in games against us last year.

The days of spunking millions on a player are gone. Our business model has changed and there are still a vast swathe of our support that need to realise this and get behind it.

Im backing us for 55 this season.

Assuming he signs, how is Joe Aribo not proven quality?

He was his teams best player and lead them to promotion, people like to talk down the quality of the league he was playing in but ultimately half of the spfl is of a similar standard.

Our last “proven quality” signings before Davis and Defoe were Barton and Kranjcar, you can’t go out and get guys like that for the sake of it, they have to fit.

Back