Will we buy any proven real quality players?

As a previous poster said - only if we punt Morelos. And if we do we can’t be doing it last day of the window

Was going to post the same, quite often these transfers happen later on in the window. It's a long season but spending large amounts of money isn't what we should be doing in a panic either.

I think it's better to wait towards the end of the transfer window for these types of player. Especially for players coming from England etc. It means they'll have a good idea of where their future for the season is going to be and whether they need to consider moving on. We don't have the funds to just go out and seek whoever we want with real quality.

Also, it's not to say the guys we are bringing in aren't of real quality - perhaps not just the proven at our level quality. Sure they'll all be good though.

I don’t think £3-4 million gets you a ‘marquee’ signing in a market such as ours with proximity to England.
I don't think people should be expecting "marquee" players. Well known, established, popular players cost too much. If we sign marquee players it usually coincides with them starting to go downhill & I'm not a big fan of that model.

However it certainly doesn't mean we can't get very talented players who have got experience. They are out there for us to find, that's why we employ a big scouting department. Guys like Mexer. Last 2 seasons Norwich have spent £8m in total on Zimmerman, Buendia, Vrancic, Leitner, Stiepermann & Hernandez. Average of £1.3m on 6 players who would massively improve us. The talent is out there, but we need to A) Have a scouting department good enough to identify it. B) Be willing to spend the money.

Had we not dropped points against ‘dead cert’ opposition last season we would have clinched 55.

The squad is now a year wiser, and in my opinion, doesn’t need an influx of ‘marquee ‘ players.

In the gaffer we trust .

Would Imagine that the wages of players of the highest quality will have wage demands that are unaffordable.

Had we not dropped points against ‘dead cert’ opposition last season we would have clinched 55.

The squad is now a year wiser, and in my opinion, doesn’t need an influx of ‘marquee ‘ players.

In the gaffer we trust .
If, buts & maybes.

I'd rather we ensured it doesn't happen again, not gamble.

Can we please pack this in , £3m etc doesn’t mean quality , just in general we have bought them at the wrong time , is Arfield , Morelos , McGregor , Tav , quality , YES none cost that , and look at the players we have paid descent transfers for FFS .

Yes. We will absolutely sign quality players. Game changers/difference makers call them what you will.

However, we’ve been back for 5 days. 5 whole days. Most players are still on holiday and/or at championships in Europe/ROW.

The need for instant gratification shows some people have still not come to terms with our new reality. They STILL, even now, hanker for the boom and bust years of Sir Duped.

They will come. We will be patient. People on here, in the main, won’t.

From a financial point of view unless Morelos goes I don’t think we’ll have the funds for an Andre Gray type signing. Saying that if we get Kent and Aribo over the line we are not far away from a title winning side.

Imagine what we would have accomplished if a year ago we went into the season with Defoe, Davis, Kamara, Aribo, Edmundson and Ojo in our squad?

If we get Kent and Aribo in soon hopefully we can start offloading a fair few players as we must have about 50k a week flying out the door on players who contributed nothing last season.

If we can free up these kind of wages we might be able to get some quality on loan later in the window.
I'd say from a squad point of view as well as a financial, as nice as it would be, Gray, Morelos and Defoe for the one slot seems highly unlikely

Kent and Aribo is the quality we need.

Beyond that I would like another CB who's capable of walking into our starting 11 and then I'd be happy.

3rd choice striker & LB signings could be optional.
Still need an attacking midfielder, left back, another centre back, a striker to replace lafferty and a winger (Kent?) imo.

I’d say the only way we sign another left back is if Barasic is sold, and I don’t think that’s going to happen unless we get double what we paid. Between Flanagan and Halliday there is cover for the easier games.

The third choice striker will almost certainly depend on whether Morelos is sold or not. If he stays, I can see Hardie and Rudden fighting it out for that spot unless either or both are sold.

In total agreement with the rest of both your posts, CB being the most important position for me as I think Aribo and Kent (if he comes) are high enough quality for the other two positions.

Unless Tav or Morelos or even both go then our transfer budget will be minimal imo. It's been good business so far this close season with very little spent on transfers. I genuinely felt that we had enough after the turn of the year but silly mistakes and tactics lost us games. Games we should have won. I don't think we are that far away.

Yes. We will absolutely sign quality players. Game changers/difference makers call them what you will.

However, we’ve been back for 5 days. 5 whole days. Most players are still on holiday and/or at championships in Europe/ROW.

The need for instant gratification shows some people have still not come to terms with our new reality. They STILL, even now, hanker for the boom and bust years of Sir Duped.

Good post.

The issue is that it takes over £5 million realistically to buy a player of proven quality. 5 million is peanuts in most leagues now so anyone selling a good player will be looking for more than that.

A CB,LB,AM,STR needed if the boy from Charlton and Kent come in we need to start trimming the dead wood hopefully at little cost too the club also the club might be waiting till end of June to buy players so this season does not show a loss on the balance sheet also players who might not be available now could be in a month or so when bussiness ramps up

Folk referring to an attacking midfielder do realise we’ve signed Jones, Stewart & Ojo yes?

Respe
Folk referring to an attacking midfielder do realise we’ve signed Jones, Stewart & Ojo yes?
2 of them are wingers.

Besides, Jones & Stewart are not good enough to consistently start for us. They might be decent squad players & make an impact but they are not difference makers to last season, which is what this thread is about.

We are signing players who would command big fees down south so I think we are moving along quite nice at the moment. I do think if the right 'Marquee' player is available to us and the manager thinks he is what he needs then it will happen. He wont just sign a well known player for the sake of his name.

If Aribo signs then we have effectively signed a 5 million pound player for 250k. Kent, if he comes back, would easily command a 10 million transfer fee as would Ojo I suspect.

Gerrard certainly looks like he knows how to assemble a young, hungry and talented squad. Good times are upon us Bears so buckle up and get ready for the drama that lies ahead.

Our next title win is going to be like nothing we have ever seen before. The Worlds media will descend on Glasgow and the party will last for days if not weeks and be beamed across the planet.

I assume you’re either ignorant or been living under a rock and didn’t read the silk’s judgement in our case this week, in which all our arguments were rejected.

Bit of both of the above , that’s all well and good and hast been a revenew stream for the club in years . And would not have been factored into any players budget . Try and post something positive FFS .

I really wished we looked at the Belgian and Dutch league. Think there’s some real talent there. Lower league EFL is inflated crap. Waghorn looks good ffs!
Right now the best leagues for value & quality (for our market) are Ligue 2 and Bundesliga 2 I’d say.

Would love us to heavily scout they leagues.

Reactions: cav
Respe

2 of them are wingers.

Besides, Jones & Stewart are not good enough to consistently start for us. They might be decent squad players & make an impact but they are not difference makers to last season, which is what this thread is about.

I’d wager all 3 could play anywhere along the front. I.e. LW, RW or AM. Forgot about Hastie too.

Get Kent and Aribo and we basically just need a centre half. A left back too, if Barisic goes.

If Morelos goes, we’ve gone about everything all wrong as the squad is already too big. I imagine if he goes, we will bank most of the cash and get a marquee loan.

As an example, if Morelos leaves, you bring in Kent and Ojo, then sign quality for 3m/4m as a goal scoring wide man and a 10. You don’t bring in Jones and Stewart, then Ojo and Kent as the quality.

It's possible a few players will leave and that we will add to the midfield and attack; perhaps two players that enhance the quality of those areas. It's easy to imagine defence will be strengthened as well. It is very early days.

Kent and Aribo is the quality we need.

Beyond that I would like another CB who's capable of walking into our starting 11 and then I'd be happy.

3rd choice striker & LB signings could be optional.
We shouldn’t be buying a player to be third choice.

I respect your opinion mate but is this not more just of hope than anything else?

I don’t really see where there is even space for investment now. There is large amount of average players taking up space in this squad IMO, and its too difficult to move a big volume of players, hence how big our squad is.

LB, CB & AM are the only areas left that have space for players. If you believe the poster on here theres a good chance of Lowe being our LB, so that leaves 2 positions.

If we sell Morelos for £15m upwards then yes we will have funds to buy 1 or 2 £3m players

If Alfie isn’t sold then I think we would need entry into EL to be able to buy 1 or 2 players with £3m fees

We are trying to get the targets we have on Bosmans which is sensible then assess where we are from there

Post of the day, for sure – probably post of the month :))

I never thought we’d spend a lot of money this summer - even if we sold - but I did expect us to spend more than we have. Before anyone jumps on this comment, I fully appreciate we’re only at the start of the transfer window.

My slight concern is we’re bringing in players with potential but who haven’t played under the pressure our support exert onto the team. It’s unique to a certain extent. They may work out immediately, but may take time to settle and the reality is we need them to hit the ground running. A lot of the comments on here point to Celtic getting worse, on the decline and I hope we’re not counting on that. We need to assume they’ll be consistent but we’ll be better.

Not being overly dramatic but this is a huge year in stopping them and I hope the board are properly backing Gerrard in the way he requires.

Realise that in a few weeks this post will have aged badly as we will have signed some more players of quality...

We need to.

No chance we will win the big without the addition of 3/4 quality players that we all spoke about earlier in the season.

Respe

2 of them are wingers.

Stewart won't be as good out of possession and pressing, as Arfield in the attacking mid role imo.

Reactions: cav
I think if we get Aribo and Kent over the line to add to Ojo they could be viewed as possible game changers.

Personally I think we’ll get an acceptable bid for Alfie so he’ll be off and we’ll use some of the money on a quality replacement.
Add a decent CH(there are some very good bosmans still available)and that’s good enough for 55 imo.

Maybe get 1 or 2 quality signings from abroad or we might possibly leave it till 1the English window shuts and see who hasn't made the EPL squad lists. I also think our euro performances will determine the type of quality we're after as it's a big draw for some players

Back