Will we ever get back to the demand that we have to win?

Carlisle Bear

while Celtic have a bigger budget than us?

We put in a fantastic first 6 months of the season and it's agony how it's totally collapsed. I try and be rationale and look at progress (I really do!) but I keep coming back to it being absolutely shocking at how we've totally blown it.

A lot of the discussion has now fallen on Gerrard but the most prominent excuse overall is that we just cannot hope to compete with their budget.

So I ask, if that's the case, do we not expect to win anymore? Are we not putting that demand on the squad?

I don't have the exact quote but Ferguson said when the billionaire owners came into City and Chelsea he told the United players it doesn't matter how much money these guys rock up with, this is Manchester United and we are always expected to win.

Something Kenny Miller spoke about a bit with Si Ferry. The mentality of the group of players from the season we didn't win the championship (division 1) under Ally onwards hasn't had that same feel as when it was the other teams he played with. It takes (in my opinion) a period of continuity and eventual success to build that mentality.

As fans I think there'll always be some more willing to cut the team some slack than the majority who uphold the high standards of Rangers FC

Something Kenny Miller spoke about a bit with Si Ferry. The mentality of the group of players from the season we didn't win the championship (division 1) under Ally onwards hasn't had that same feel as when it was the other teams he played with. It takes (in my opinion) a period of continuity and eventual success to build that mentality.

As fans I think there'll always be some more willing to cut the team some slack than the majority who uphold the high standards of Rangers FC
Mate I have little time for the stauncher than you brigade who dismiss all factors and expect us to win every game.

However, across a season I remember who we are and I do expect success. That just seems to be rationaled away every time we fail.

The manager has on numerous occasions stated that he clearly understands the demands of being Rangers manager including the expectation that the fans expect to win every week. I think the question then becomes;

Is the manager allied with this group of players and based on results capable of delivering to the fans expectations given how much money, planning and support that they have had as a group from both the fans and the board?

I think the diminution of the Ibrox atmosphere and the venting of fan frustration and anger at the appalling and inexplicable collapse of a team and manager previously fit for purpose would back the fact that our expectations were pretty much where they should have been.

Last edited:
If it was only down to budget then you could say ours absolutely dwarves the rest of the teams in the league out with the filth, which means we should be wiping the floor with them all on a weekly basis.

Remember the “nae doe, 3 in a row” line after we won the league in 2011. They were regularly outspending us during that period yet we still won 3 consecutive league and cup doubles.

Using your budget sensibly and having players with a mentality for winning is key to success. Gerrard has been backed considerably by the board so budget isn’t a huge factor in my eyes.

We have dropped 5 points to the worst side in the league this season. In the last month, we have dropped 8 points to teams in the bottom 6. That isn’t down to the mentally challengeds having a bigger budget than us.
At what point does dropping 10 points in a month become unacceptable for Rangers?

I fear we will still be sitting here trophyless in several years time and many of our support will still be using the “aye but remember where we were not so long ago” line.

Players mentality and attitude, as well as the gaffers stubbornness with his system is the main reason for our collapse since Christmas. The mentality of winning and being Scotlands top club seems to be totally lost within our club now from boardroom to pitch.

I really don’t know how we go about fixing it but just having a bigger budget isn’t the answer.

No.

You only need to listen to the moans and groans at Ibrox when we're not doing well, or the apoplectic rage on here when we drop points at the weekend, to realise the expectation will never leave,

As Scotland's most successful club - even after a nightmarish last 8 years - nor should it.

There is no excuse for us losing games to teams outside of the top three given the disparity of budgets. Those Hearts and Kilmarnock results in particular were an absolute disgrace. This team’s lack of fight at times is embarrassing and inexcusable.

True, and it should be embarrassing for the players having to be schooled by our Hibs loanee on how to play spontaneous, unpredictable and direct football. Reminding them that a game can be won using a little creativity, imagination and taking calculated risks. Our possession game has become a smoke screen for some of them.

Unless something seismic happens then Celtic will get to 55 before we do.

Right now we don't have a squad capable of going toe to toe with them over the course of a season.

There has been progress, but we're still well short of a title-winning team.

The disparity in budget between ourselves and Celtic is one that a considerable amount of our support don’t really seem to want to acknowledge.

They will always be favourites while it exists so to have stood a chance of winning the title this season we were always going to need a sustained performance of the sort we saw from the team up until new year right through the entire campaign and / or a sudden Yahoo collapse.

Unfortunately it’s been us who have suffered the collapse and that’s why fans are so exasperated, IMO, because it was unexpected and there appears no signs of it ending.

I always feel that the sign of a good manager is in his ability to pick a team up from a bad patch so the longer this goes on valid questions do begin to form about Gerrard’s ability.

Our days of expecting a win are gone
Some of the supporters on here have also taken that route.
Of course we can't win every game,but we can at least try.
The number of points dropped after us taking the lead in a match is not,and never should be, acceptable.

If it was only down to budget then you could say ours absolutely dwarves the rest of the teams in the league out with the filth, which means we should be wiping the floor with them all on a weekly basis.

Remember the “nae doe, 3 in a row” line after we won the league in 2011. They were regularly outspending us during that period yet we still won 3 consecutive league and cup doubles.

Using your budget sensibly and having players with a mentality for winning is key to success. Gerrard has been backed considerably by the board so budget isn’t a huge factor in my eyes.

We have dropped 5 points to the worst side in the league this season. In the last month, we have dropped 8 points to teams in the bottom 6. That isn’t down to the mentally challengeds having a bigger budget than us.
At what point does dropping 10 points in a month become unacceptable for Rangers?

I fear we will still be sitting here trophyless in several years time and many of our support will still be using the “aye but remember where we were not so long ago” line.

Players mentality and attitude, as well as the gaffers stubbornness with his system is the main reason for our collapse since Christmas. The mentality of winning and being Scotlands top club seems to be totally lost within our club now from boardroom to pitch.

I really don’t know how we go about fixing it but just having a bigger budget isn’t the answer.
This is spot on. You've summed up very well how I feel.

Looking at the level of denial on here and some of the excuses made for going from level to 12 behind in a month and a half, it’s clear plenty of fans have already adjusted their expectations and are prepared to settle for abject crap and a title challenge that’s over before Valentine’s Day.

Some of the supporters on here have also taken that route.
Of course we can't win every game,but we can at least try.
The number of points dropped after us taking the lead in a match is not,and never should be, acceptable.
The very least I expect from any Rangers team is to try. These days I'm not surprised when we drop points anymore.

The very least I expect from any Rangers team is to try. These days I'm not surprised when we drop points anymore.

Who isn’t trying? They are making wrong decisions but like attitude it’s ability that is the problem.

we have decent players but have come to rely on Morelos hitting the target to get us out of trouble and recently he has got the Banjo, got hold of the tail but the coos arse remains untouched.

Who isn’t trying? They are making wrong decisions but like attitude it’s ability that is the problem.

we have decent players but have come to rely on Morelos hitting the target to get us out of trouble and recently he has got the Banjo, got hold of the tail but the coos arse remains untouched.
Wasn't saying anyone wasn't trying, just saying thats the minimum id expect

Some still look at 2012 as an excuse.

We've been back in the top flight for 4 seasons now with millions invested in the playing squad.. it's time to start winning trophies.

We have a budget that dwarfs the rest of the league and have proven we're more than a match in the head to heads against them.

We have all the ingredients to be successful which is why I'm pissed off at the manager and how this season has panned out.

As soon as we get 1 league title the tide will turn as long as we dont break that squad up.

Good post, well summed up.

There are many who are claiming that they aren’t trying which is Bull.

some like Katic didn’t play well but he was trying likewise we made enough chances to see off St J but didn’t take them - you don’t make chances without trying.
What im saying is that I dont expect us to win all the games, not that the team are not trying. I used to expect us to win most games but as long as the effort was there then I could at least accept a defeat.

There is no excuse for us losing games to teams outside of the top three given the disparity of budgets. Those Hearts and Kilmarnock results in particular were an absolute disgrace. This team’s lack of fight at times is embarrassing and inexcusable.

Hearts I agree but the Kilmarnock game was decided by refereeing errors.

We're allowed to play poorly sometimes and scrape wins, it happens over the course of a season but that night they scored from a hand ball and Morelos had a goal disallowed for nothing.

It's hard to overcome a 2 goal swing if you're a team on form let alone one who isn't.

I wonder how different the atmosphere around the club would be if we weren't cheated out of the league cup as well.

I get that.

However the follow on to that is we should never beat Celtic at the moment, and in turn they should never lose to anybody else, so therefore they should always win every trophy while they outspend us like they do.

Except it doesnt work like that, does it?

I think the demand for a win is as high as ever from the support.
Unfortunately at a time where the Rangers team isn’t full of players who can deliver that.

My worry is that the demand for winning, despite the circumstances and in spite of the clear progress that Gerrard has made with his team, is leading to the point where he has lost a portion of the support.
A Scottish Cup run or win would stem the tide but I worry when I see momentum of opinion start to turn against a manager like this.

I get that.

However the follow on to that is we should never beat Celtic at the moment, and in turn they should never lose to anybody else, so therefore they should always win every trophy while they outspend us like they do.

Except it doesnt work like that, does it?
It doesn’t. But the amount of games we have been dropping points to with a team 2/3s full of current or recently former internationalists is alarming.

Hearts I agree but the Kilmarnock game was decided by refereeing errors.

We're allowed to play poorly sometimes and scrape wins, it happens over the course of a season but that night they scored from a hand ball and Morelos had a goal disallowed for nothing.

It's hard to overcome a 2 goal swing if you're a team on form let alone one who isn't.

I wonder how different the atmosphere around the club would be if we weren't cheated out of the league cup as well.
I think if we had won the League Cup we would be still very much in the league hunt. It would have taken the trophy pressure off.

True, and it should be embarrassing for the players having to be schooled by our Hibs loanee on how to play spontaneous, unpredictable and direct football. Reminding them that a game can be won using a little creativity, imagination and taking calculated risks. Our possession game has become a smoke screen for some of them.
Agreed, play the 5 yard passes and don’t %^*& up and you’ve done your job.

Haters of our club and not all of them were poets had us on the brink of oblivion,We survived and are improving but as well as the players and money our reputation on the park went with it,When Rangers took to the field we had a winning mentality and the opposition had a fear,This fear has gone and teams now see us as an ordinary run of the mill spl team.

How much budget is needed to prevent 3 defeats at Rugby Park in little over a year, or failure to defeat the leagues bottom team in successive away matches?

It’s about getting better value from that budget rather than spunking it on players that add nothing to the squad eg Jones, Barker, Ojo to name but 3

How much budget is needed to prevent 3 defeats at Rugby Park in little over a year, or failure to defeat the leagues bottom team in successive away matches?

It’s about getting better value from that budget rather than spunking it on players that add nothing to the squad eg Jones, Barker, Ojo to name but 3

Since Warbs we have 'gone big' on outplaying the 'other ten' and dazzling SPL with mini Barca style. It doesn't work over a 38 game season. And we've struggled to find anything more suitable despite many of the answers being obvious,.

Think some have have to stop being so precious about the players and making excuses for them. How often do we see too many pointless rotations, lazy lay-offs, going backwards or sideways when there's a pass on, refusing to shoot? That's 'not trying', not making wrong decisions.
I'll give you, recently, Tav, Jack, Kamara, Davis, Kent and Goldson.

too many people are still stuck in the 'remember where we have been' mindset and we've gotten better since Progres'.
Setting the bar at the lowest level and saying we've improved while falling well short of winning anything is a self defeating mentality.

If we had put the performances in the 2 scum games pre winter break against every team 2nd half of the season we were winning the league so our budget cost player for player against scum is immaterial it attitude and desire with a winning mentality to perform against the dross. We’ve got it but not turning up for whatever reason and that the baffling one.

To be fair I'm ancient now and since I was three the mantra has been:

"We win things, and when we don't it is because we fucked up."

And that includes end of their NIAR, the barren years 78-87, and MON's era of trophies.

No Rangers squad EVER decides it is 'enough to be competitive'. Absolute poppycock.

Think some have have to stop being so precious about the players and making excuses for them. How often do we see too many pointless rotations, lazy lay-offs, going backwards or sideways when there's a pass on, refusing to shoot? That's 'not trying', not making wrong decisions.
I'll give you, recently, Tav, Jack, Kamara, Davis, Kent and Goldson.

Correct. We should also pay more attention to some of the goals we concede. It's the SPFL. The over passing is a defenders dream. I wish some of our opponents took our slow, laboured and predictable approach at times. What the lesser players lack in technical ability they more than make up for in application, directness and risk taking. That approach just works in this league. Ask your opponents questions, test them, again and again. We make it too easy for them and then complain about parking the bus.

Agreed.

These players better get it into their heads they are at Rangers and fast. Win.

otherwise you aren’t for us

Back