Will we go after a keeper in January?

On February 11, 2022, it was announced that Turner and Premier League club Arsenal had agreed to a deal that would see him move to the London club in the summer of 2022. He was Arsenal's first summer signing of the window.[24][25] Arsenal reportedly paid a transfer fee of $6 million that could potentially rise to $10 million.[26] On June 27, 2022, Arsenal announced Turner as the new player on a long-term contract. Turner was given the number 30 shirt

Doesn’t look like it according to wiki. A quick dollar to pounds conversion says £4.8m which would be in our price range to give us the base and spine of a new team. The rising $10m dollars is pure speculation. He’s a guy we should be spending proper money on, he would say himself he needs 1st team football, why not with us? If we can pay the money and match his wages then why not? Don’t think he’s out our price range.
His wages will be.

I think we will.

GK is a position I take particular interest in.

Mcgregor has been a legend, a genius, crucial in getting us 55 , to two European finals and many other victories and trophies.

However he’s 41 in a couple of months. He stayed on in the summer at the request of the club. I think he may retire in January and if we can find a club for McLaughlin he will be away as well.

Whether it’s January or the summer I think a new number 1 will be brought in. I don’t think Mcrorie is going to be long term our number 1.

PS I predicted exactly what would happen this season with McLaughlin collapsing and McGregor coming back in, so I’d advise paying attention to what I say on this.

He won't retire. Why would he.
He has 10k a week or so coming on...

Nah don't see anything happening unless McCrorie goes on loan which could happen now we are out of Europe. Mclaughlin would need to go in January as well because Macgregor isn't retiring midway through a season so I can't see us paying for 4 goalkeepers when we only need 2.

In my opinion we don't have a keeper on the books genuinely worthy of number 1 but too many to shift to allow us signing someone.

McGregor signing for another year was the nail in McCrorie's coffin for me. Perfect chance to move him up if he was ready but signs are he wasn't/isn't. Why bring back a 40 year old who was already getting worse by the week if McLaughlin and McCrorie wer good enough to be 1 and 2

Id give McCrorie a run between now and the end of the season to see if he’s ready to put a claim on the number 1 jersey.

If we are looking to bring someone in then I liked the look of Kamil Grabara of Copenhagen in a couple of their CL games. Not sure what kind of price he would command though to be honest.

It’s not very often we find ourself in a goalkeeping calamity, we usually have the best, but Greegs is finished, McLaughlin isn’t good enough, and McCrorie is basically untried. It’s gross negligence by Wilson and Van Bronkhurst.

Should have been first priority in the summer, then next buys should be young hungry midfielders....., it should still be our priority in Jan.....that being said I think Lawrence was good business and ridvan will prove to be aswell, but the money spent on them should have been used elsewhere first.....

Anybody considered that like we expect of the outfield players, the goalkeepers will get a "new manager bounce"?

All the other players who’s performances has been written off as “poor managerial tactics “ or “secretly injured “ are getting a chance to prove themselves with a new manager so why shouldn’t the goalkeeper get the same chance?

All the other players who’s performances has been written off as “poor managerial tactics “ or “secretly injured “ are getting a chance to prove themselves with a new manager so why shouldn’t the goalkeeper get the same chance?
Only mccrorie should have that chance the other 2 are past it what's too lose

We have always been good at getting commanding keepers and that’s what we need again - it will be a summer signing though.

We have to just get through the rest of the season anyway we can the best we can and as strongly as we can and rebuild from the back in the summer.

I would prefer money spent on other areas. The manager should know the level of goalkeepers he has out with McGregor. He will surely make the correct judgment, something that I’m afraid Gio just couldn’t do.

I think he needs to decide on his number 1 and not have one goally for Scottish cup games and another for league/European.

People saying McGregor and McLaughlin aren’t good enough then mentioning McCrorie, Carson and Kelly.

If any of those 5 are anywhere near our number 1 position after the summer, we have massively downgraded in what’s mainly been a top class position for us.

I’ve been saying it for near on a year now; Nikita Haikin. Fantastic keeper who’s out of contract at the end of this month. Come through three English youth academy’s so you’d imagine Beale will be aware of him also given he’s been a massive success at Bodø and has been linked with numerous clubs in Europe whilst breaking into the Russian national squad.

Josep Bursik is another out of contract, Timo Horn, Jack Butland too. Ersin Destanoğlu was but recently signed a new deal with Besiktas and it now looks like Rokow’s, Kovačević is now out of our reach. Beale has the Senegal number 2 at QPR but Dieng is on a long term contract.

Personally I thought we should have signed the guy Siegrist “mind the spelling” from Dundee United,
The Tinks ended up signing him though and he doesn’t get game time with them, so probably answers that.

I fcking hope so.

A new #1 - solid, capable and dependable - just like we've almost-always had at Ibrox, with McCrorie as #2.

The current goalkeeping situation is bordering on gross mismanagement.
It was grossly mismanaged by the management team prior to Gio imo and who was part of that, that said I hope MB gets this part right.
RM should get the gloves for the remainder of the season in order to find out if he is at least a challenger for next seasons number one, the other two I would thank them then release.

McCrorie is nowhere near a Rangers no.1 goalkeeper
Going by a lot of the comments in the thread everyone disagrees. Now is the time for him to step up. If he doesn’t perform then he can be moved on. But to dismiss him without him having a proper chance is ludicrous. The same goes for the rest of the youngsters.

Going by a lot of the comments in the thread everyone disagrees. Now is the time for him to step up. If he doesn’t perform then he can be moved on. But to dismiss him without him having a proper chance is ludicrous. The same goes for the rest of the youngsters.
If he was good enough, he would be in the team. Or can 3 managers and umpteen coaches be wrong?

To add to my post the Dutch keeper Andries Noppert was written off to Amateur and lower league football until a few seasons ago.

People saying McGregor and McLaughlin aren’t good enough then mentioning McCrorie, Carson and Kelly.

If any of those 5 are anywhere near our number 1 position after the summer, we have massively downgraded in what’s mainly been a top class position for us.

I’ve been saying it for near on a year now; Nikita Haikin. Fantastic keeper who’s out of contract at the end of this month. Come through three English youth academy’s so you’d imagine Beale will be aware of him also given he’s been a massive success at Bodø and has been linked with numerous clubs in Europe whilst breaking into the Russian national squad.

Josep Bursik is another out of contract, Timo Horn, Jack Butland too. Ersin Destanoğlu was but recently signed a new deal with Besiktas and it now looks like Rokow’s, Kovačević is now out of our reach. Beale has the Senegal number 2 at QPR but Dieng is on a long term contract.
Good stuff here.

You need to be something to be a long term Rangers number 1. We are looking for our next Mcgregor, Woods, Goram. It’s not easy.

We can’t just take anyone- it needs to be someone with thick skin, broad shoulders and a mindset that is hard to find.

Nikita Khaykin might be the one. As you say he’s available for free next month, only 27, about to become Russias number 1 GK and he’s 6ft 2.

It's not that big an issue to be honest bigger problems elsewhere in the team like the midfield which should be where any money that's available goes in January.

McCrorie needs to get an opportunity. No point in having him sitting in the stand every wk.

If he was good enough, he would be in the team. Or can 3 managers and umpteen coaches be wrong?
Like most of the former managers. Giving youth a chance at Rangers isn’t something normally done.

We have to break the cycle of getting overpriced high earner foreigners that are stunting the development of our younger players.

If we want to be looking at winning a Trophy this season then we need to sign a GK. I don't thnk we win one unless we sign someone, even on Loan. McGregor should have retired and McLaughlin can't ever come back from his performance at the Chamber of Secrets

If the intent is to get a top class keeper then I doubt we'll get one in the January sales. It's probably unlikely clubs are going to allow such an important asset's contract to run down. However, maybe there is an unlikely capable pair of hands out there waiting to be signed.

If not then we'll have to soldier on till summer with what we have.

Like Elaine C Smith in a bikini, it's not an appealing thought.

We were actively looking for a new goalkeeper last summer then strangely gave McGregor a new deal.

McLaughlin should be punted and McCrorie isn't good enough and lacks experience.

Our options aren't exactly encouraging that's why a new number 1 will be needed for next season.

There are some good options out of contract this summer.
So like you say, with a bit of luck we are putting time into searching now.
If that's the case and we are interested I would hope we leverage the contract situation and get them in Jan

3 goal keepers on the books not even factoring Keiran Wright in unless we shift one on no chance will be what we have till the summer doesn’t mean we won’t sort a pre contract for a keeper in Jan mind you though.

Wright is 23 - or 'almost 24' as some might call it. ;) But his contract's up next summer apparently.

Don’t know how good McCrorie is but if we are thinking of bringing another goalkeeper in he should be moved on in January,With some of the performance McGregor and McLaughlin have put in this season I can’t believe he hasn’t had a chance.

On February 11, 2022, it was announced that Turner and Premier League club Arsenal had agreed to a deal that would see him move to the London club in the summer of 2022. He was Arsenal's first summer signing of the window.[24][25] Arsenal reportedly paid a transfer fee of $6 million that could potentially rise to $10 million.[26] On June 27, 2022, Arsenal announced Turner as the new player on a long-term contract. Turner was given the number 30 shirt

Doesn’t look like it according to wiki. A quick dollar to pounds conversion says £4.8m which would be in our price range to give us the base and spine of a new team. The rising $10m dollars is pure speculation. He’s a guy we should be spending proper money on, he would say himself he needs 1st team football, why not with us? If we can pay the money and match his wages then why not? Don’t think he’s out our price range.
My apologies...when I originally saw it...I just saw the $10m.
However, after this World Cup and the fact that he started all the games, he will be worth way more than the £5m they paid for him...I reckon they could double their money pretty quick...which is well outside what we can spend on a goalie.

Last edited:
My apologies...when I originally saw it...I just saw the $10m.
However, after this World Cup and the fact that he started all the games, he will be worth way more than the £5m they paid for him...I reckon they could double their money pretty quick...which is well outside what we can spend on a goalie.

A
rsenal have completed the signing of USA goalkeeper Matt Turner as part of a deal that could eventually be worth £7.5millon.
Turner arrives at Arsenal from MLS side New England Revolution and he has signed a three-year contract, with the option of a further year.
Arsenal will pay an initial fee of around £5.5m for the 28-year-old, but that could rise to closer to £7.5m due to add-ons.

Turner is expected to come in and be back-up to Arsenal’s No1 goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale, with Bernd Leno likely to be sold this summer.

Along with that...they also have a 10% sell on.

Back