Will we go for a left back?

I do think we need to. If there is any money left in the transfer Kitty, that’s where it needs to go. It would be annoying having 4 left backs on the books and 2 of them are a waste of money. But the waste would (hopefully) not be the new guy.

Any new player incurs cost to the club. A bigger waste would be buying someone in an area where we are strong and leaving us weak at LB.

That said, I can see the value in bringing Kent in too. Even though we have a lot of potentially great players for that position, none have been at the heights of Kent’s best performances and, more importantly, getting him sends a message that will intimidate others and that has value too.

If Barasic can be sold . We can’t buy another and have four left backs on the payroll , it’s madness .

So should we not buy any new players till we sell a left back? The costs to the club are the same and LB is the one area where we badly need a new player.

I do feel it could be our achilles heel at the moment. We should have a left footed left back capable of bombing up and down that wing and getting balls in the box, especially in the 4-3-2-1 where we have our attacking mids tucking in. We basically need the player Barisic was supposed to be.

he offers security in defence for sure. I suppose if Kent comes back then he wont be needing to get forward a lot
I understand fans want sure things and folk have their ideal 11s in their heads but from Gerrard's point of view he's watching the team control and win the game with Flanagan in at left back.

It's all about balance. Aribo goes forward a lot more and Ojo doesn't track back at all.

Folk have got it in their heads now though, even the slightest error from Flanagan and people are exaggerating it 10-fold.

So should we not buy any new players till we sell a left back? The costs to the club are the same and LB is the one area where we badly need a new player.

The squads too big . We have three players who can play left back . Only Flanagan is competent . We need better but until we offload Barisic I cant see us buying another

I understand fans want sure things and folk have their ideal 11s in their heads but from Gerrard's point of view he's watching the team control and win the game with Flanagan in at left back.

It's all about balance. Aribo goes forward a lot more and Ojo doesn't track back at all.

Folk have got it in their heads now though, even the slightest error from Flanagan and people are exaggerating it 10-fold.

I actually think Flanagan is a steady eddy, he's a better player than Barasic and Halliday by a distance.

As said on the Kent thread I think between the 3 that we currently rotate we are fine, do I want a settled defence, yes but I also think that the 4 centrehalves will also be rotated despite Goldson and Katic playing well so a settled defence will be out the question imo, I see it as putting out a team to win whatever game we are playing with the next game being the most important attitude being drilled into them

Just speculating, but I wonder if the likes of Zagreb get to the CL Group stages they might come in for Borna. They are the only club in his home land who cou afford him.

Just speculating, but I wonder if the likes of Zagreb get to the CL Group stages they might come in for Borna. They are the only club in his home land who cou afford him.

He's been to them already and flopped, that was his first big move and he was back at Osijek soon after.

Looks like he just can't handle expectations of a higher level

If we get into EL group stages then it will give us more revenue and may dip in for a LB

Barisic just doesn’t seem to have the winning mentality the gaffer is demanding

Would prefer we moved him on asap and get a proper left footed LB before window closes

Hardest part is offloading Barisic and the others who we want to move on

Do the folk who keep saying that we shouldn’t get a LB because we have 3 already or because the squad is too big also think that we should not buy any player for any position?

Because otherwise I just don’t understand their view. If we have any resource at all, the first place it should be spent is on a left back as this is the player needed most. How many LBs are in the squad really doesn’t matter when none are good enough.

I've been a fan of Flanagan's since his return to the team last season but still think we could be doing with signing a natural LB.

As it stands, we only have the one - Barisic, who hasn't been a disaster but also not exactly a revelation.

It definitely needs addressed; at some point. For those who believe Flanagan to be the front runner (i'd probably agree), please watch any re-runs of the Midtylland and Hibs' games, which although we won comfortably, Flanagan left a lot to be desired.

Halliday at East Fife; enough said.

Barisic is clearly finished with us. He's had numerous opportunities now, and hasn't taken any of them.

Will it cost us in the challenge for success this year? I don't think i'd take that risk, however the reality is, its about who becomes available and when.

Flanagan's a right back and Halliday's a midfielder; we only have one left back at the minute.

I know that’s their preferred positions however the only way either of them will play is at left back , Flanagan can play fullback on either side and is worth keeping for cover .

We need to sell Barasic and replace him with an first pick reliable left back

I think it’s looking less and less likely.
LB is my biggest concern this season. Flanagan looks good & solid defensively, but isn’t great going forward.
Halliday for me is a great utility player, but shouldn’t be first choice LB
There must be a player there in Barisic, he’s clearly just not going to adapt to Scottish football. The question is what will happen with him, will he be sent out on loan?
We can’t continue to play a RB at LB long term, so the issue really needs to be addressed if Barisic has no future in the squad.

I agree that it is where we are weakest but I'm not overly concerned by it. Flanagan is decent if unspectacular.

In an ideal world we'd get a left back in but even in that scenario I think we'd need someone to buy Barisic first.

I do feel it could be our achilles heel at the moment. We should have a left footed left back capable of bombing up and down that wing and getting balls in the box, especially in the 4-3-2-1 where we have our attacking mids tucking in. We basically need the player Barisic was supposed to be.
I think against the poorer teams in the league we might see Barker play left wing-back...

I actually think Flanagan is a steady eddy, he's a better player than Barasic and Halliday by a distance.
While I broadly agree with this, I also think Flanagan has a mistake in him. He's given away 2 soft goals in the matches he's played this season. They haven't really cost us so far, but I think its position we could do with getting someone better in.
Flanagan is a good squad player, and good for cover.

I don’t think we can afford to play two attacking full backs or we will get caught on the counter too much.
I think Flanagan is good enough and a solid defender and provides cover for when Tav is in an attacking position.
I only see us buying if we sell Barisic. We thought with him we were getting a solid defender who can make great crosses, however so far that hasn’t been the case at Rangers.

I will add I don’t want a left sided equivalent of Tav as I think it would weaken us defensively and lead to us to getting caught with quick counter attacks which will draw CH’s out of position.

Obviously our manager and coaching team see Barasic on a daily basis and don’t like the level of application and commitment to playing for Rangers that he is showing.

We need the root cause of this clearly identified. We can’t yet afford to spunk money away and perhaps he, if his issues are resolved can recover it.

Doesn’t sound like it though sadly.

Right now - & whatever way I look at it - I see this position as our weakest link

All 3 of our current options have negative aspects to their game & are limited in what they can contribute

If we go through the whole season 'making do' with our current 3 - then imo we'll often be asking for trouble

I'm not suggesting - in drama queen fashion - that we're doomed if we don't recruit replacements - after all many a title has been won by teams with similar problems - but we will be doing it the hard way imo

How are we fixed from the development squad - any lefties in there knocking on the first team door?

I cannot see that a Croatian international footballer would not be good addition to a team. For some reason he's not settled here. I think we will sell him. I hope that he plays a blinder for the national team.

Back