Will we hit form?

RFC_LOYAL

I keep saying to myself a big performance and a bit of form is just around the corner. I kept telling myself that we will be miles better when Roofe and Kamara return. Then it was when the COVID crisis hit just get to the international break and we’ll be fine. Then I thought Europa group stage would lift our level.

With Hibs and Hearts up next, albeit at home, playing like we are won’t be enough to win those. What can we do to kickstart?

For me, there isn’t enough speed up the top end of the pitch. That’s in pressing and hounding but also the speed in which we play the ball at.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Sakala start the next couple, or at least on Thursday, to get some pace when we have the ball and intensity to close down when we don't.

The congested 4-3-1-2 isn't working so back to the formation of last season could be on the cards from the comments made my Gerrard yesterday regarding Sakala starting being imminent.

I think we are seeing just how much we relied on a fit and in form Ryan Kent last season.

On his game, as he was so much of last season, he was unplayable. Even when not on the ball, he scares the shot out of defenders, pulling them out of position and leaving gaps all over the pitch. Some of the interplay last season on the left by Barisic and Kamara was a joy to watch and Kent’s off the ball running played a massive part in that.

This season Kent looked well out of sorts before his hamstring pull (I think that’s what it was?) Unfortunately we don’t have another player with his genuine quality. For me, when he’s on it, he is easily the best player in Scotland.

We won’t hit top form until our best player is right in body and mind.

I have just been of the mindset that we will click at the next game but obviously it’s fast approaching October now so it is starting to become a real worry

Yes we sit top of the league, that doesn’t lie but we won’t stay there for long unless something changes. There’s still a part of me thinking that these back to back home games (in the league) against the Edinburgh lot are the perfect opportunity to show what we’re about and something will change, but you have to make change happen not just wait for it. This management team and players need our backing as we always have gave them but they really need to give us something over the next couple of weeks

We will go on a good run at some point, so picking up 3 points at the moment is all that matters.

Look at yesterdays game, we made 20 chances, at some point the goals will start to come.
I agree with you mate, get a few more of them on target, be more clinical and the goals will stack up but even though we had a clean sheet yesterday our defending is also concern atm. We were spoiled last season and hit heights that we could never mirror again but this constant changing of the whole back line including GK isn’t helping baring injury of course

Surely we have to. That’s what’s annoying about our present form. It’s not about prioritizibg attractive football over winning, it’s that we know this side is capable of playing much better. It’s because last seasons title was supposed to be the beginning of something great for this side. Everyone agreed they hadn’t peaked yet, they would continue to get better as time progressed. That’s why we’re frustrated, we know this side can give more.

I just hope the gaffer can turn things around ‘cos there so much unfulfilled potential at the club right now and having kept the side together we have every right to expect great things from them before it starts to get split up.

By this time last season we had drawn with Livingston and Hibs whilst been unconvincing against Ross County, Kilmarnock and Hamilton.

Even into November we were clinging on at Rugby Park.
Looking back at some results before Christmas we were winning 2-0 with 4 shots on target and not hitting full speed.

It feels quite different this year though as we were putting on some more convincing performances in between them (4-0s etc), we looked a bit steadier at the back and we were keeping the ball a lot better than the last few games (possession stats are still high but it definitely feels more untidy in our passing).

We'll find out soon how sustainable this is or whether we manage to up the performances.

We are stale. Simple.
Upgrades were needed in a few positions but the players brought in don't seem to be trusted to start for us, except Lundstram.
Tav, Goldson, Davis and Borna when he plays look empty.
Just my opinion of course.

I think we are seeing just how much we relied on a fit and in form Ryan Kent last season.

On his game, as he was so much of last season, he was unplayable. Even when not on the ball, he scares the shot out of defenders, pulling them out of position and leaving gaps all over the pitch. Some of the interplay last season on the left by Barisic and Kamara was a joy to watch and Kent’s off the ball running played a massive part in that.

This season Kent looked well out of sorts before his hamstring pull (I think that’s what it was?) Unfortunately we don’t have another player with his genuine quality. For me, when he’s on it, he is easily the best player in Scotland.

We have been missing Barisic, Kent and Kamara combination all season. Think they have only started 2 games together? Celtic and Lyon, and Kent and Barisic were half fit in them both

By this time last season we had drawn with Livingston and Hibs whilst been unconvincing against Ross County, Kilmarnock and Hamilton.

Even into November we were clinging on at Rugby Park.
Think people forget that we dropped four points in the opening round of fixtures last year. The real consistency in performance and results came after we beat them and that was after the second international break.

We are stale. Simple.
Upgrades were needed in a few positions but the players brought in don't seem to be trusted to start for us, except Lundstram.
Tav, Goldson, Davis and Borna when he plays look empty.
Just my opinion of course.

We expect to sell our star players for 10,15 20m. How can we bring folk in to be better than them and go straight into the team for buttons?

Everybody we sign needs a settling in period to reach the standard of play we want.

I keep saying to myself a big performance and a bit of form is just around the corner. I kept telling myself that we will be miles better when Roofe and Kamara return. Then it was when the COVID crisis hit just get to the international break and we’ll be fine. Then I thought Europa group stage would lift our level.

With Hibs and Hearts up next, albeit at home, playing like we are won’t be enough to win those. What can we do to kickstart?

For me, there isn’t enough speed up the top end of the pitch. That’s in pressing and hounding but also the speed in which we play the ball at.
There's no pace in the side full stop.
What we're producing now is pedestrian rubbish.
No tempo, no flair and precious little sign of this changing.
We look vulnerable to a simple long ball through the middle of our defence. Motherwell, St Johnstone and Dundee have all had joy with this simple ball. Not good enough.
We are getting little or nothing on a consistent basis from our captain, again not good enough.
Our midfield seem devoid of ideas going forward.
We rarely pass through the lines.
Up top, Alfie is holding the ball well and bringing others into the game, but he's not the game changing, goal threat he has been previously.
Ryan Kent has been majorly disappointing all season. Roofe is our most potent goal threat but is still below par. The back up players have in the main, failed to deliver.

We’re approaching the point where we may need to accept that this is our new level.

You can only keep expecting a big performance around the corner so many times - facts and form suggest that’s not the case.
Aye right enough, mediocrity it is...

To answer a sensible post, for exaplmes, the op, yes it'll come. It's taking longer than expected but no doubt it'll come

We won't until we sit out the players who are not performing there is no competition for places and players know that and are just going through the motions.

And how many chances did we give the opposition.
We gave opportunities to teams last season, that football. The difference is at times we took alot more of our chances. Last season was a one off, opposition will get chances and score against us. We need to score far more of ours.

I think this is spot on. An on form and fit Ryan Kent puts the fear of god into opposition defences. Hopefully he isn't too far away from returning.

This absolutey is not in our new level but we do seem a bit stale at the moment. I think we need to switch things up tacticaly as we are either a one trick pony of it's far to conjested as others have said.

We do miss an in form Ryan Kent and clearly the team has suffered badly without Jack.

Too many not at the races at the moment as well.

A tough watch just now but at least we are grinding out the results.

If Hibs or Hearts were playing better than us they wouldn’t be behind us in the league.

just because we haven’t fired yet doesn’t make the other sides any more consistent.

I’m not saying we’ll definitely win but there are reasons why we’re above them and hearts are out the cup whilst Hibs are out of europe

Ryan Jack is huge for us and how we play.

It's no coincidence Tav and Goldson are looking a bit shaky again down that side when Jack isn't there.

He also started to add a bit of quality going forward and scored a few crackers to help unlock defences.

We have been missing BB and the amount of chances he creates, wether this is due to his injury all summer I don’t know. Him and a fit Kent would widen our attack which is too focused down the right.

We won't see last season's urgency and desire to win, due to the unique situation of back then. However, we can and must raise the tempo from the first minute, and most importantly, score goals in the first 45 minutes. 0-0 or even 1-0 to the good is not enough, and generates anxiety, not only within the stands, but in the team itself. We have the ammo to severely hurt teams, and its about time we used it.

Of course we will.

Sakala and Bucana look class. Much to come from Wright.

When Jack is back the defensive aspect will improve as will Goldson and Tav's form.

Guys like Davis and Arfield still have a lot to offer.

We are going to romp home to 56.

Last season there were a number of shaky performances and after each one people said we won't get away with that against (insert team here) and guess what we didn't put that performance in.

Fact is last season a lot of things fell in our favour, we rode our luck in some games it also wasn't until October really where we hit our stride.

I have 0 worries going forward this season we are better than the rest of the league and cone may that will be confirmed

If you've watched anything of Hibs recently, you'd know that they're not playing well mate.

Fortunate to win yesterday and very lucky to scrape draws against St Mirren and Hearts in their previous games.

Ryan Jack is huge for us and how we play.

It's no coincidence Tav and Goldson are looking a bit shaky again down that side when Jack isn't there.

He also started to add a bit of quality going forward and scored a few crackers to help unlock defences.
Is there any word on when Jack is back ? Must be soon

Disagree. We were blowing teams away last season even when Kent was badly struggling for form.

Back