Will we qualify for the Round of 32 in Europe?

Big Buff

Would only happen if we lost to YB's but Beat Feyenoord and Porto won their last 2 to take them and Us and YB's to 10 points.

Some people are saying we would have lost a Head to Head with YB'S but would win the Porto Head to Head but on the basis them having a better Head to Head with YB's they'd trump us.

I argued with them saying frankly that's pish. How could a team we've taken 4 points from put us out cause they've a better Head to Head versus the 3rd team ie YB's.
If this scenario happens, the results against Feyenoord are discounted, so it effectively becomes a three-team group to determine qualification.

We'd have one win and one draw - four points
Porto would have 7 points - two wins v YB and one draw vs us
YB would have six points - two wins vs us

That's why we'd go out in that scenario. But it's still very unlikely.

Jelle1880

I think so, unless we completely collapse. Which is something I just can't imagine under Gerrard, he knows what is needed.

govwalker

Wouldn't it come down to goal difference in that case. Basically we'd have to beat young boys by one goal for this scenario to happen, and they would have to score at least one at Ibrox. Odds are slim, but not impossible. I might be making a lot of that up to be fair.
It goes to a mini group apparently. So scores against the two others we'd have 4 points ie against Porto. They'd have 7 points from YB'S and Us. YB's would have 6 so both their points trumps ours.

Or so that's how I understood it.

Utter shambles we could take 4/6 points against the Top Seed in the group but get pumped out for them beating the possibly the Weakest team and us losing twice to them as well.

govwalker

If this scenario happens, the results against Feyenoord are discounted, so it effectively becomes a three-team group to determine qualification.

We'd have one win and one draw - four points
Porto would have 7 points - two wins v YB and one draw vs us
YB would have six points - two wins vs us

That's why we'd go out in that scenario. But it's still very unlikely.
That's how I understood it. Frankly that's scandalous if that happens.

We get 4/6 points against the Top Seeds but on the basis of them beating the Weakest team twice they go through at our Expense. Utter nonsense.

Big Buff

That's how I understood it. Frankly that's scandalous if that happens.

We get 4/6 points against the Top Seeds but on the basis of them beating the Weakest team twice they go through at our Expense. Utter nonsense.
It's been used in European football for decades. Most famously, for determining the second place teams eligible for World Cup qualification.

Like I said, I think there's a very small chance of this event actually occuring (<5%)

govwalker

It's been used in European football for decades. Most famously, for determining the second place teams eligible for World Cup qualification.

Like I said, I think there's a very small chance of this event actually occuring (<5%)
Still think it's a scandal.

Suppose it's to avoid instances like Scotland going out of the 1974 on GD after Yugoslavia annihilated Zaire in the last game to knock us out.

Big Buff

Still think it's a scandal.

Suppose it's to avoid instances like Scotland going out of the 1974 on GD after Yugoslavia annihilated Zaire in the last game to knock us out.
It's a much better system than goal difference IMO, precisely because of the example you have there.

And I'm very confident that we'll do the business against Young Boys at Ibrox. Folk have forgotten just how bad they were in Bern.

Ted Rangers

It goes to a mini group apparently. So scores against the two others we'd have 4 points ie against Porto. They'd have 7 points from YB'S and Us. YB's would have 6 so both their points trumps ours.

Or so that's how I understood it.

Utter shambles we could take 4/6 points against the Top Seed in the group but get pumped out for them beating the possibly the Weakest team and us losing twice to them as well.
If we lose twice to the weakest team we probably don't deserve to go through.

AzorIbrox

I'd be gutted if we don't get through now and the extra revenue & prize money will clearly be huge for the club.

I came into this group with low expectations but we're proven we're good enough and I'd like to see us progress and test ourselves against some even bigger and better teams.

govwalker

Don't worry about it, we'll beat YB anyway, and they'll get a point against Porto. They seem to get results at home.
Ive said earlier on too in the thread I reckon this Group will be done by next Matchday.

YB'S will beat Porto and we will get at least a point in Holland.

GeckoBear29

I think we will:

Lose narrowly in Rotterdam (new manager effect)

Win at home to Young Boys (they looked an average side)

Hopefully that will be enough.
I think we’ll draw in Rotterdam. We were much better than them at Ibrox. Score like flattered them. Could nick a win

RainMan1972

If we don’t from this position it would be correct to be very disappointed. But its important people still realise there is a lot of work to do to secure qualification, it’s not an easy achievement even from this position.

Quietly confident we will get through, either in Feyenoord or a big night at Ibrox V Young Boys.

gerrard32

I think we are at a level now that we should not be scared of anyone in the competition other than Arsenal and Man Utd and even at that I think we would give them a game.
Then there is the Champs Lge dropouts, maybe 2 or 3 there will be a step too far for us but we are a very decent team and no one will want to play us in the last 32, and YES we will get there.
I would also say last 8 is easily possible but like every tournament if you have a bit of luck along the way that can make the world of difference.

Tokyo Bear

The group is on a knife edge, but deserve to be favourites to qualify.

Couldnt believe how poor Feyenoord were, worst Dutch team ive ever seen in Europe, they couldnt string 3 passes together which is something the Dutch are normally always good at. Maybe they will be a different proposition at home as theyve sacked Stam and unbeaten in 3 since Advocaat came in. They were 2 nil down at home to bottom of the league before pulling it back in second half and they couldnt even beat Young Boys at home so every chance we could beat them there and have a easy night at home to Young Boys.

Uddy Gers

How could we go out when we have a better head to head v Porto ?
H2H only applies if two teams are level on points. The rulebook doesn’t actually state anything to do with head to head.

It states that if two or more teams are level on points, the team goes through who has the most points obtained against the teams in question.

So if the scenario of us beating Feyenoord, losing to YB and Porto winning there two remaining games happen, it is simply who has the most points obtained between Rangers, YB and Porto. So the points obtained against Feyenoord are excluded. Nothing to do with head to head.

So the table would look like this:

Porto - 7 pts
YB - 6 pts
Rangers - 4 pts

I see @govwalker is saying it’s unfair, but that’s the rules, and it’s probably the fairest way of doing it. You’re saying we beat Porto on H2H but that would only come into effect if only us and Porto were on the same points. Folk are getting confused with this H2H stuff, technically it’s incorrect to say head to head. It is simply who has the most points obtained between the teams in question.

Texas ranger

Somebody’s done the soccer power index ( SPI ) on it and at least by their methodology it looks very favorable for us. Our chance of winning the group is 57% and of coming second is 28% so an 85% chance of qualifying.

Last edited:

Southsideblueblood

All the way through this journey ,that is day by day bringing back the winning feeling, it’s one game at a time. Hamilton on Sunday away on an artificial pitch is all I can think of. Nothing else. Jump the fence in front of you.

Gasoil

I think we were well worth our win against Feyenoord and were unlucky in Berne. YB have an advantage at home with their pitch (as we also see with Hamilton, Livingston and Kilmarnock). Don't want to jinx us but no reason why we can't get a draw in Rotterdam and win at home versus YB.

Big X

Official Ticketer
Ive said earlier on too in the thread I reckon this Group will be done by next Matchday.

YB'S will beat Porto and we will get at least a point in Holland.
[/QUOTE
If YBs v Porto and F v us are draws, we’re through. Means theYB game at Ibrox is about who tops the group. As noted above, we could also beat F and still go out in the last game.

SasaPapacLoyal54

What’s the best result for us next Thursday?

Obviously a Rangers win but what about in the other game? A draw?
That would be perfect as we would have qualified and be 2 points clear at the top with YB at home.

Basically all we would only need a point in the last game to win the group.

A win in Rotterdam would be an amazing result though. They need to win so they will be right up for it.

Blastie Bear

I really hope so, we are in a strong position, BUT....I have been here so many times before with Rangers and we've managed to shoot ourselves in the foot. I am not going to lie, I am trying not to get ahead of myself, but I will be over the moon when it's done and dusted and we are through.

TN8

I think we'll win in Rotterdam and draw with YB at Ibrox, taking us through as group winners. Porto in 2nd, think they'll win their last 2 games.

Midfield General

I think if we play like we have done so far we will qualify and who knows how much further we can go.I don't think there's anyone in this tournament that are stick one to win it.

ICA_86

I honestly wasn’t arsed about it at the start of the group, but now that we’ve done so well and we’re so close, I’ll be gutted if we don’t make it.

It’s the sort of thing that can really give us a boost domestically as well. Don’t know what I’d rather have though - the easiest draw and get through to the last 16 and even more games, or the biggest and most glamorous tie and then concentrate on domestic football for the run in. The win is probably the easiest answer, but I’m just trying to balance the two competitions.

Latest posts