Will we qualify for the Round of 32 in Europe?

Don't worry about it, we'll beat YB anyway, and they'll get a point against Porto. They seem to get results at home.

Ive said earlier on too in the thread I reckon this Group will be done by next Matchday.

YB'S will beat Porto and we will get at least a point in Holland.

RPqfjbv.gif

I think we will:

Lose narrowly in Rotterdam (new manager effect)

Win at home to Young Boys (they looked an average side)

Hopefully that will be enough.
I think we’ll draw in Rotterdam. We were much better than them at Ibrox. Score like flattered them. Could nick a win

If we don’t from this position it would be correct to be very disappointed. But its important people still realise there is a lot of work to do to secure qualification, it’s not an easy achievement even from this position.

Quietly confident we will get through, either in Feyenoord or a big night at Ibrox V Young Boys.

I think we are at a level now that we should not be scared of anyone in the competition other than Arsenal and Man Utd and even at that I think we would give them a game.
Then there is the Champs Lge dropouts, maybe 2 or 3 there will be a step too far for us but we are a very decent team and no one will want to play us in the last 32, and YES we will get there.
I would also say last 8 is easily possible but like every tournament if you have a bit of luck along the way that can make the world of difference.

The group is on a knife edge, but deserve to be favourites to qualify.

Couldnt believe how poor Feyenoord were, worst Dutch team ive ever seen in Europe, they couldnt string 3 passes together which is something the Dutch are normally always good at. Maybe they will be a different proposition at home as theyve sacked Stam and unbeaten in 3 since Advocaat came in. They were 2 nil down at home to bottom of the league before pulling it back in second half and they couldnt even beat Young Boys at home so every chance we could beat them there and have a easy night at home to Young Boys.

How could we go out when we have a better head to head v Porto ?
H2H only applies if two teams are level on points. The rulebook doesn’t actually state anything to do with head to head.

It states that if two or more teams are level on points, the team goes through who has the most points obtained against the teams in question.

So if the scenario of us beating Feyenoord, losing to YB and Porto winning there two remaining games happen, it is simply who has the most points obtained between Rangers, YB and Porto. So the points obtained against Feyenoord are excluded. Nothing to do with head to head.

So the table would look like this:

Porto - 7 pts
YB - 6 pts
Rangers - 4 pts

I see @govwalker is saying it’s unfair, but that’s the rules, and it’s probably the fairest way of doing it. You’re saying we beat Porto on H2H but that would only come into effect if only us and Porto were on the same points. Folk are getting confused with this H2H stuff, technically it’s incorrect to say head to head. It is simply who has the most points obtained between the teams in question.

Somebody’s done the soccer power index ( SPI ) on it and at least by their methodology it looks very favorable for us. Our chance of winning the group is 57% and of coming second is 28% so an 85% chance of qualifying.

Last edited:
All the way through this journey ,that is day by day bringing back the winning feeling, it’s one game at a time. Hamilton on Sunday away on an artificial pitch is all I can think of. Nothing else. Jump the fence in front of you.

I think we were well worth our win against Feyenoord and were unlucky in Berne. YB have an advantage at home with their pitch (as we also see with Hamilton, Livingston and Kilmarnock). Don't want to jinx us but no reason why we can't get a draw in Rotterdam and win at home versus YB.

Ive said earlier on too in the thread I reckon this Group will be done by next Matchday.

YB'S will beat Porto and we will get at least a point in Holland.
[/QUOTE
If YBs v Porto and F v us are draws, we’re through. Means theYB game at Ibrox is about who tops the group. As noted above, we could also beat F and still go out in the last game.

What’s the best result for us next Thursday?

Obviously a Rangers win but what about in the other game? A draw?

That would be perfect as we would have qualified and be 2 points clear at the top with YB at home.

Basically all we would only need a point in the last game to win the group.

A win in Rotterdam would be an amazing result though. They need to win so they will be right up for it.

I really hope so, we are in a strong position, BUT....I have been here so many times before with Rangers and we've managed to shoot ourselves in the foot. I am not going to lie, I am trying not to get ahead of myself, but I will be over the moon when it's done and dusted and we are through.

I think we'll win in Rotterdam and draw with YB at Ibrox, taking us through as group winners. Porto in 2nd, think they'll win their last 2 games.

I think if we play like we have done so far we will qualify and who knows how much further we can go.I don't think there's anyone in this tournament that are stick one to win it.

I honestly wasn’t arsed about it at the start of the group, but now that we’ve done so well and we’re so close, I’ll be gutted if we don’t make it.

It’s the sort of thing that can really give us a boost domestically as well. Don’t know what I’d rather have though - the easiest draw and get through to the last 16 and even more games, or the biggest and most glamorous tie and then concentrate on domestic football for the run in. The win is probably the easiest answer, but I’m just trying to balance the two competitions.

I really hope so, we are in a strong position, BUT....I have been here so many times before with Rangers and we've managed to shoot ourselves in the foot. I am not going to lie, I am trying not to get ahead of myself, but I will be over the moon when it's done and dusted and we are through.

I know the feeling. I used to buy the 3 game packages for the CL games with high expectations. Always disappointed.

i agree, I was there when Amoruso screwed up against Monaco, and when we had our amazing run in 92/93, we were always going to come up short.

we may well lose in Holland, but I am sure we will win the last game at home and I think we will just make it, whereas last year I always felt we were just going to miss out.

We tend to do poorly in the last 3 games but with the win against Porto hopefully that is a thing of the past. Good chance of taking something against Feyenoord and I'd fancy us to get the win at home to Young Boys.

Hopefully a week tomorrow we won't need to hear the same conversation that has went on a million times since we beat Porto...

"Win against Feyenoord and we have qualified"

"Actually we could still go out if we then lose to Young Boys and Porto win their last 2 games."

"No we can't as we would beat Porto on head to head."

"But it would go to a three way blah blah blah"

I honestly wasn’t arsed about it at the start of the group, but now that we’ve done so well and we’re so close, I’ll be gutted if we don’t make it.

It’s the sort of thing that can really give us a boost domestically as well. Don’t know what I’d rather have though - the easiest draw and get through to the last 16 and even more games, or the biggest and most glamorous tie and then concentrate on domestic football for the run in. The win is probably the easiest answer, but I’m just trying to balance the two competitions.

I know what you're saying again but what would rather have? Another Manchester again or worry about these c*nts winning another tainted title.

I'd love more than winning a European Trophy.

If we don't beat Feyenoord I'll be bitterly disappointed. We should have thrashed them at Ibrox. They have a good manager now, but we should still be beating them.

As someone who thought we’d blown it when not getting anything from the Young Boys game I have to say qualification is back on because of the points over two games against Porto. We will qualify in our last game because we never seem to get it easy.

We tend to get off to a good start some years then make a mess of it later on. I think we will beat Young Boys at home this time though. I wonder if we should give Alfie a rest v Feyenoord in case he gets a yellow? I think a point v Feyenoord would be a good result but certainly a chance of winning. Porto away, what a performance that was for the most part, gives me hope that we can make it through.

Last edited:
We have 2 bites at the cherry

Draw or beat Feyenoord and we qualify as long as Porto don’t win in Bern- I doubt Porto will win on the Astro in Bern.

If that fails then beat Young Boys at Ibrox and we qualify

Should do it from here as long as we remain composed.

We have 2 bites at the cherry

Draw or beat Feyenoord and we qualify as long as Porto don’t win in Bern- I doubt Porto will win on the Astro in Bern.

If that fails then beat Young Boys at Ibrox and we qualify

Should do it from here as long as we remain composed.
If Porto draw with YB and we draw with Feyenoord, we’re also through.

After the defeat to young boys I would have said no but to take 4 points from the Porto games was superb. Confident we’ll go through by beating the Swiss at home.

Back