Will we see a more relaxed kent

Bears72

Now that hagi is on board will we see Kent play with a bit less pressure. I feel that too much was expected of him probably due to the price tag but will he now get a bit of a break and play with a bit more freedom now that the expectations of hagi will now eclipse those of kent

He needs to step up and start adding more goals and assists to his game.

The amount of times he glides by a player or 2, cuts inside but refuses to shoot is infuriating.

Potentially but I think a proper pre season will be the biggest factor for Kent.
(Assuming we can actually do a proper pre season!)

He had a proper pre-season with the European champions last year. Don't think that was an issue.

I think its always hard to transfer when the season has started and hit the ground running. Hoping for a big season from him whenever we get started back up.

Playing in empty stadiums will suit a few of our players, namely Kent

Given he’s scored openers in pressure matches at Easter Road, Tynecastle the Piggery and Braga I think I’m quite entitled to declare that folk have developed some weird agenda about him.

But hey we learned with Barisic when he spent most of a season injured that folk are generally over simplistic in what they think they are looking at.

Shame that post and agreements declaring Barisic over after an Oxford friendly (9 months ago) has been chopped, as an example.

Last edited:
He had a proper pre-season with the European champions last year. Don't think that was an issue.

He pulled his hamstring 5 minutes into his debut.

Aye, but, empty stadiums man, disnae turn up man.

With family like ours who needs enemies where players are concerned.

Kent’s attitude always puzzles me.

He claims that he struggles with pressure yet puts in his best performances against the darkside.

He pulled his hamstring 5 minutes into his debut.

Aye, but, empty stadiums man, disnae turn up man.

With family like ours who needs enemies where players are concerned.

In fairness he does need to add consistency and start putting up some proper numbers with both goals and assists.

He has the ability to be scoring 10-15 goals a season.

In fairness he does need to add consistency and start putting up some proper numbers with both goals and assists.

He has the ability to be scoring 10-15 goals a season.
You are correct , think he had 8 this season, 2 more than the season before so roughly guessing I think he would have finished with 12 just guessing of course. I think he will get upwards of 15 goals this coming season.

To answer OP yes Kent will be much better without having to try be our sole creator. He will have a cracking season and has been nowhere near as bad as made out. I wasn’t that keen on signing him at first but I’m confident it’s a good investment.

He claims that he struggles with pressure yet puts in his best performances against the darkside.

I always thought it was the pressure of breaking teams down that sit in and when we are strong favourites rather than the occasion.

Think those games, against the other mob, bring more space but also a different mindset.

Given he’s scored openers in pressure matches at Tynecastle the Piggery and Braga I think I’m quite entitled to declare that folk have developed some weird agenda about him.

But hey we learned with Barisic when he spent most of a season injured that folk are generally over simplistic in what they think they are looking at.

Shame that post and agreements declaring Barisic over after an Oxford friendly (9 months ago) has been chopped, as an example.

I think this is what's caused the weird agenda

The fact that we're the underdogs in this competition means there's less tension in our play and less expectation.

"We go out there and play freely and get what we deserve. Tonight, we've got what we deserved."

We aren’t expected to win every OF game. We are expected to win the others. That’s the pressure he’s referring to
I always thought it was the pressure of breaking teams down that sit in and when we are strong favourites rather than the occasion.

Think those games, against the other mob, bring more space but also a different mindset.

Understood bears, I was coming at it from another angle.

This will be Kent's season. Weirdly, I think he needs to try a little LESS and we'll soon see him putting numbers on the board.

This thread is going to be the moment I decide I’ve had too much FF for the week already.

For some, EVERYONE’S shite. Bet some of them even have the cheek to lament the maniacal criticism of players at games.

He has bags of ability.
If you look at a lot of our goals in big games, he may not have had the final assist, but contributed at some point with a telling pass, touch.

The problem is, he doesn't do it consistently.

Probably why he is playing in Scotland.

But a fully fit Kent is the best player in the league for me.

Need him to bring in double digits in both the goals and assists departments soon. Preferably already next season.

I think we have a rare talent on our hands. I dont know why he drifts in n out of certain games. Confidence or injury ? Would love to see him have a full season on top form. If we can get him firing on all cylinders for a full season then the title is coming home, i think hes that good.

The amount of times he glides by a player or 2, cuts inside but refuses to shoot is infuriating.

He hardly ever glided past a player or two, that was the problem.

Invariably he opted out of doing so and just passed it inside instead.

If Kent is to ever become the player we hope he can be, he needs to be braver and more gallus.

We all know how good Kent can be on his day.

He needs to find consistency and he needs to work hard on his shooting which is generally substandard.

Listen any player would play better when you don't have thousands on your back every second week.

Playing in empty stadiums will suit a few of our players, namely Kent

They say that they're expecting much worse than current, 2nd covid wave to hit around December. If what you say is true, and it is lol....

Be interesting to see who'll be at the top of the league around that time, and if that team gets awarded the league there and then. If you know what I mean! :))

I can't recall his comments verbatim but wasn't be meaning the pressure of opening up teams who have no attention of attacking us?

It's easier to an extent against the better sides as they will attack and leave more space for him to exploit.

It's not that he freezes under the expectation of having to perform but struggles to break down 10 man defences. He wouldn't be the first to have that issue.

Kent was overhyped due to the wait to sign him and over rated based on a hot run of form at the end of his loan period. He wasnt at that level for most of his first season. Expectations were unfairly and unrealistically high after we bought him. Hes a decent young player who hopefully develops into a consistent performer. He has ability and potential but still has too many off days.

Not watched much of him then nah
I’ve watched him live pretty much every time he has played, I know how good he can be, unfortunately he is still so inconsistent, have a dig at me all you want but it’s true. Fingers crossed he has a good pre season and produces decent consistent performance

Given he’s scored openers in pressure matches at Easter Road, Tynecastle the Piggery and Braga I think I’m quite entitled to declare that folk have developed some weird agenda about him.

These matches at Easter Rd, Tynecastle etc normally take care of themselves, it’s games at Ibrox and against lesser teams that have mainly caused the issue

it’s hardly ‘some weird agenda’ to say he has been nothing but inconsistent, go super staunch all you wish but we know has has the capability and he needs to produce it on a regular basis

let’s hope next season is the beginning of that

Seems a lifetime ago the whole of FF was rejoicing when we bought him on deadline day.

He hasn’t been brilliant but who has??

He also scored some important goals in big matches.

Kent and Morelos , were pretty much anonymous after NY , ha big effect on our overall dire performances

Rangers lead in 17 out of the18 league games that Ryan Kent started in,game,management was the problem and I agree Hagi will help,hopefully playing as a number 10.Prior to the break SG had more of a choice in team selection.In the league after the January break at various times SG did not have Tav (4 games) Alfie (2 games) Jack(2 games) Barisic(3 games) Defoe(5 games).In the first 8 league games after the break I reckon Tav and Borna only started in one league game together.The squad was simply not strong enough.

I think the break will do him good. His bad form seemed to be adding more and more pressure, making his performances worse.

I think Kent is a very talented player, who will have a great career with us. Hopefully he comes in to the season refreshed ready to fully realise his potential. He was paid a lot of attention by the opposition, having someone as talented as Hagi will ease that.

If we find the right formation, get Kent and Hagi firing along with the right centre forward to lead the line (assuming Alfie goes), then we'll be a real force.

Back