Will we see the additional time rules be applied after the World Cup?

I think it will change after this first round of games, with refs being instructed to find a middle ground. Some of it has been ridiculous. Can you imagine the third game in groups that are tight, end uo with 20 mins extra time.

I don't think it's ridiculous. If you add up the time wasted in games currently it's the status quo that's ridiculous.

I hope this is a first step to taking the time keeping out of the ref's hands and having a dedicated 30 minute in play clock.

It’s refreshing to see real additional time added and not just a fictional few minutes.

Apparently it’s a directive from Colina.

What’s the chances of it continuing in domestic football?
If they do the Subway Loyal won't know if they're coming or going :))

Depends on the stats at the end of the world cup. I think it's been great as there had been goals and incidents in the stoppage time.

Think there would be player deaths if scottish footballers had to actually play 90mins of football running around.

Be some laugh when we play Motherwell at Ibrox and the board goes up

The 4th official has indicated there will be a minimum of 27 minutes added on.

When we played Motherwell a couple of years ago someone posted a stat saying the ball was in play for under 45 minutes. Can you imagine 45 minutes added on time? Maybe more if they're still at it.

I hope so. Timewasting has been getting worse and worse domestically. Teams come to Ibrox and start the timewasting from the moment the game kicks off. You used to only see it with 10/15mins left.

Personally i would prefer to see the clock stopped until a ball is live at all times, so you get a true 90 mins. But id take what im seeing at Qatar all day over the current set up.
Aberdeen were at it from the opening minutes during the march in March.

There’s being a bit cute to see time out… and then there’s belligerently running down the clock throughout a match.
Anything that removes the latter from the sport is welcome.

It's been the best change to football in years. Simple. Effective. Free. We won't see it in Scotland for years.

I could be wrong but I think if FIFA decide to stick with it then every FA has to abide by it, there's no option to refuse.

It's not as if they have the excuse of cost like they did with VAR either, as you said it's free.

They always trial rule changes and additions to the rules at the World Cup. Presumably because it's all elite level referees that get the nod to do the major tournaments. If the rules are successful and there's a demand to bring them in permanently, it usually takes a few years to implement.

The average match time in the World Cup has been 102 minutes and 42 seconds which is 4 minutes longer than the average Premier league game.
According to a report in the Daily Mail, Premier League referees will ignore FIFA's strict new edict on the amount of added time when they resume playing.
That's unfortunate. Have been enjoying all the added time.

It’s refreshing to see real additional time added and not just a fictional few minutes.

We've been doing it here for years,directive from doncaster,play until celtic score winner.

Additional time I'm sure we've had games blown before the first 45 mins were up in a game this season and last season

I never understood why stoppage time wasn't calculated in a more empirical fashion, leaving it up to the whim of a referee following no standard just doesn't make sense.

Refs often just pull random numbers out their arse, there is no logic to how much time they add on.

I'm in the camp of stopping the clock when the ball is out of play, and perhaps during goal kicks, if this is the path to implementing that, then I am on board.

The Premier League will not follow Fifa's ultra-strict approach to stoppage time, which has meant some matches last more than 100 minutes, when the league resumes after the World Cup

I'm in favour of 2 x 30 min halves, with the clock only counting down while the ball is in play. We'd get more football than we see now, and it's immediately clear to everyone how long is left to go.
Think it has been found that the ball is in play only about 33 mins a half on average, maybe 2 x 35 mins half's then

It will be applied game to game.
If Septic need a goal for a draw or a win, then yes.
If they are winning after 90mins then it will be the usual 20 seconds.

I'm in favour of 2 x 30 min halves, with the clock only counting down while the ball is in play. We'd get more football than we see now, and it's immediately clear to everyone how long is left to go.
I agree. One good thing about several US sports is the stop clock. I'd be sad to see the end of the tradition of two 45 minute halves, but the amount of time wasting that goes on is ridiculous, so a stop clock is the way to end that.

I've always been against American rules but was thinking earlier maybe even a time out might be beneficial. Why have to wait till half time to sort out a disfunctioning system.

Been saying it for years. Two halves of 35mins with the clock only when ball is in play.

Ends time wasting right away.

Referee calls time at the next stoppage after each 35mins are up.

Back