Will we start with Morelos and Defoe together?

They have too in my opinon, but what we need to get right is a side that balances us out with 2 up top.

Either way we have some very good options and different formations to play now where at times this season the 433 has just been so easy to defend against

I would like to see us try that.

I’m hesitant to move Alfie obviously as he has been brilliant in the central role but just a slight shift to the right I don’t see being a problem, if you look at every match he always ends up in that narrow forward role at some point and causes mayhem

Aye a lot of the time he receives the ball it's wider than the 18 yard box extremities (either side) anyway to be fair.

Although not sure how it would work out if he was to rigidly stay on the right side for instance. I think he likes to roam around the final third and drag the defence about so perhaps we may see him and Kent swap sides throughout.

What is most probable though is that we'll be wanting Defoe to be positioned more centrally between the extremities of the 18 yard box at all times and be more of a poacher type ie a classic number 9.

We defo have some great options if everyone can stay fit

Think the Gaffer will try and fit both Alfie and Jermain into the starting 11

How we go about doing that will be intriguing

Not sure how we line up but let’s face all we want to do is win games and hopefully get #55 this season and have the biggest celebration this country has seen for decades if not ever re football results

A league winning team in his first season will put Stevie G up there with our biggest achievements and it will mean the mentally challengeds will be in mourning

I pray we can do it and I don’t care how we do it team wise. Just winning the league is the objective

Yes with Kent on the left wing & Candieas on the right

One off these guys will not be in the team as with davis and defoe both certain starters then someone has to make way.

I think candieas will be the guy to drop out as ability wise he cannot hold a candle to kent, Davis or Defoe.

Would love to see them both start against Cowdenbeath and rattle in a barrowload, then Hardie and Laff together for 30 mins with a point to prove.
The reality is Alfredo to be given a prolonged rest until Wednesday and Killie but it would be nice to have that match sharpness up and running Friday night, great attacking options

Dont think the two will start often at all. Eho gets dropped to bring in an untested defoe?
Dont think we will change from a 3 man midfield

It's rare I get a semi reading threads in the Bear Pit, but this title gave me a twitch.

The idea of a 6-0 win with both racing for the first hattrick is enough to make you want to picture it instead of your wifes face during sex

Can’t see us going 3,5,2 as this is a more defensive formation and involves no wingers while we have 6.

Can’t see us going a conventional 4,4,2 as Gerrard apparently dislikes it.

I suspect we’ll go an Advocaat style 4,4,2 with 3 box to box players and 1 winger given license to attack. Or just stick 4,3,3 but play either Defoe or Morelos narrow right. Both these formations are near identical for practical purposes.

I think Alfie would suit the narrow right role better than Defoe but depends whether that fits the rest of the team and, unfortunately, whether he’s happy with it. We probably don’t really want to be “demoting” him with a transfer window open. I’d hope he wouldn’t see it as demotion.

What we need is Alfie playing his usual game and Defoe slipping into the spaces he creates. Which one nominally drifts right probably doesn’t matter. The issue there will be that it loses us Candeias and may make us weaker defensively on that side. We should be fine with that against most teams and hopefully an upgraded midfield will cover it. Davis often used to play the right side of midfield for us...

It also needs to be remembered that Defoe may well not play 90 minutes of every match. Him and Candeias may regularly be substitutes for each other.

100% yes for me.

Front 3 of Kent Defoe and Morelos. Alfredo drifts wide right alot and cuts in so believe it would work. I'd like to see that against cowdenbeath and score about 100 goals.

Mcgregor
Tavernier Goldson Worrall Halliday
Jack
Davis Arfield
Morelos Defoe Kent​

That's how I'd line up against Kilmarnock.
I think the only thing that might,and I say might-prevent that is Defoe's lack of match fitness.
SG may be wary of throwing him in from the start into the helter-skelter of the sphell and give him 30 mins. or so to start with,although the guy is such a pro it may well not be an issue for him as an individual.

Tell you what though,were I a member of the opposition team I'd be needing a supply of nappies with the thought of facing that line-up now.What an upgrade on quality with just those two in the team.(Defoe and Davis)

Wouldn’t say ‘no chance’ at Ibrox I don’t see why we can’t play 2 wingers & 2 strikers with 2 of Jack, Davis, Arfield or McCrorie Central. He’s not bringing Defoe up to sit him on a bench.

Morelos playing right sided forward but much narrower than Candieas plays now is the only way I see to play the strongest midfield and forwards.

Candieas will likely drop to the bench.

I think the only thing that might,and I say might-prevent that is Defoe's lack of match fitness.
SG may be wary of throwing him in from the start into the helter-skelter of the sphell and give him 30 mins. or so to start with,although the guy is such a pro it may well not be an issue for him as an individual.

Tell you what though,were I a member of the opposition team I'd be needing a supply of nappies with the thought of facing that line-up now.What an upgrade on quality with just those two in the team.(Defoe and Davis)

Possibly, but I reckon he'll get 45 against Cowdenbeath next Friday and another 30 mins or so against Helsinki and then start against Killie and get 60-70 mins.

Candeias to replace him off the bench and Morelos moving inside one. Sorted.

Reactions: cav
100%

Morelos pulling wide into channels as he oft does.

Defoe also showed himself to be far more than a high class Kris Boyd during his time at Sunderland.

I think we'll go with a midfield diamond with Defoe and Morelos up front and Kent playing behind:

Jack

Arfield Davis

Kent

Morelos Defoe

I think Candeias drops out for Defoe and Morelos moves wider. Should get the best out of both of them whilst maintaining stability in midfield.

Delighted with the Defoe signing but Morelos is still the main man. The gaffer needs to find a way to get the best out of them both.

I expect to see them both play in a lot of games, how we will lineup is anyones guess.

For me i would like to try 3 narrow forwards with Kent and Morelos either side of Defoe, Morelos quite often drifts to the right and makes a real impact there.

How he would feel about that though im not sure.

We have options and very good options at that.
Don’t see it any other way myself the 3 of them are starters that’s it.

Back