Will We Still Go For a Creative Attacking Midfielder?

I hope we do. Honestly think it's the last piece of the jigsaw. A player with an eye for goal and can pick a killer pass to open up defences. Davis is a really neat and tidy footballer but think he is more of a player who can take the ball in tight areas keep possession and switch the play. The player we need now is someone who will break from midfield score goals and provide assists especially against the teams that sit in against us.

I hope we do. Honestly think it's the last piece of the jigsaw. A player with an eye for goal and can pick a killer pass to open up defences. Davis is a really neat and tidy footballer but think he is more of a player who can take the ball in tight areas keep possession and switch the play. The player we need now is someone who will break from midfield score goals and provide assists especially against the teams that sit in against us.
You just described arfield!

Ideally yes but can’t see it happening. What we are missing is a number 10 who plays with his back to goal, occupies the opposition midfield, can score 10-15 goals a season, can and carry the ball beyond the opposition lines and create chances for the striker and wide supporting players.

Problem is these guys generally cost a premium. You usually have to get lucky and unearth a gem. I’m not getting my hopes up we’ll find that. And if not I’m happy with what we’ve got. But a proper no 10 would be the icing on the cake for this window.

You just described arfield!
Arfield is great in terms of physical effort and sometime can finish but I’m not convinced that he is the guy to consistently play the slide rule passes or beat a man and fashion a chance for himself or a teammate. He also isn’t always as clinical as another player might be.

Maybe, for our budget, I am being unrealistic. We aren’t going to get Philip Coutinho but if we look hard enough, are there players out there in cheaper European markets that could do the job?

Ideally yes but can’t see it happening. What we are missing is a number 10 who plays with his back to goal, occupies the opposition midfield, can score 10-15 goals a season, can and carry the ball beyond the opposition lines and create chances for the striker and wide supporting players.

Problem is these guys generally cost a premium. You usually have to get lucky and unearth a gem. I’m not getting my hopes up we’ll find that. And if not I’m happy with what we’ve got. But a proper no 10 would be the icing on the cake for this window.
Yeah, good ones are hard to find and do cost big money.

Arfield is great in terms of physical effort and sometime can finish but I’m not convinced that he is the guy to consistently play the slide rule passes or beat a man and fashion a chance for himself or a teammate. He also isn’t always as clinical as another player might be.

Maybe, for our budget, I am being unrealistic. We aren’t going to get Philip Coutinho but if we look hard enough, are there players out there in cheaper European markets that could do the job?

Agree completely SR.

Agree completely SR.
It’s getting harder and harder though. Through improved media and travel, scouting is easier for all and through the concentration of riches in the big leagues and a lack of regulation of youth academies, the availability of players has decreased and their prices increased.

These players are probably the most valuable in the modern game, guys who can ontrol the ball, chances for themselves or others and score goals to boot. They command as big fees as anyone.

In days gone by, you could probably have posed the question on here and people would have had ideas of who to go for but now you’re having to shop in Eastern Europe or get unknowns on loan from sides in England. Where does it all end.

The game’s regulators need to intervene but they won’t.

Reactions: cav
So will we go for anyone do you think?

I think it depends on how far away from full fitness Dorrans is mate.

If as I suspect he's still a good few weeks away, then I think if the right player comes along and a suitable deal can be done, we may well do.

There is the option of Kamara too I guess.

I haven't heard about anyone else joining btw, it's just my opinion bud.

Do you not see Davis as “creative”?
It surprises me how often this is asked?
I guess part of it is that I haven’t really seen much of him for 6-7 years, not sure how he is physically and often players drop back as they get older.

I see Davis maybe as recycling the ball and getting us back on the offensive, rather than being the one in the hole.

I think a wide man is more likely to be the creative signing. Grezda looks miles off the required standard and Middleton is needing handled with a bit more caution. Murphy still miles away. A loan for a wide man I reckon.

I'd hope we do. Let's not forget those games where we were passing anywhere but forward. Davis wasn't and certainly isn't now, a player who will score and create into the double figures we need. Those saying we haven't been playing with a number 10 all season proves the point. We have, just not an effective one.

Davis looks like a good addition on paper, but we still have to see just how effective he is in reality.

Perhaps he’s the piece of the jigsaw we’ve been missing and the whole effectiveness of the midfield is elevated as a result.

But perhaps he’s not.

Personally I still think we need to push the boat out for another central midfielder of a quality above and beyond that we currently have at the club.

Dorrans is finished.

Greggsy
Worrall
Goldson
Tav
Halliday
Jack
Davis
Kent
Arfield
Morelos
Defoe

Mcrorie
Katic
Lafferty
Grezda
Candieas
Foddy
Barisic

That's the team that wins us 55.

I agree with your starting 11, but Gerrard really rates Dorrans and is desperate to get him back in the squad.

What makes you think he's finished?

Certainly can't be his age and as far as I'm aware he's close to overcoming a horrible injury.

Still think another defence unlocker who can finish might be needed. Certainly in an ideal world.

I don't think dorrans is finished. In fact think there is still a very good player in there. Only seen it in flashes for gers so far admittedly. With better team mates and team confidence he ll get back to a high level if he can get fit!

Still think another defence unlocker who can finish might be needed. Certainly in an ideal world.

I don't think dorrans is finished. In fact think there is still a very good player in there. Only seen it in flashes for gers so far admittedly. With better team mates and team confidence he ll get back to a high level if he can get fit!

Why do you think Dorrans is finished?

Surely not just because he got a bad injury?

Yet he's the top scoring midfielder in the and has the most assists for a mid too, despite missing a fair chunk of games with a calf strain.

If Arfield is fit, he's one of the first names on the team sheet.

5 in 15 is pretty decent I will give u that. Just seem to remember him missing a few and composure not being great.

He is a good player, but I think better competition is required in this position.

We don't play with a no.10.

Davis will be the creative midfielder although I expect him to operate slightly deeper than what people think.

Arfield will remain the furthest forward & be the attacking midfielder.

Imo we need cover for Arfield. He is the only player who gets near & runs beyond Morelos. Without him in the team, we suffered big time as we had to take a square pegs/round holes approach till he returned.

I'm not so sure we will be trying to sign anyone else for the midfield, particularly if Gerrard's comments about Dorrans being near to a return in February come true.

We'll have:

Jack
Davis
Arfield
McCrorie
Coulibally
Rossiter
Dorrans
and Halliday

who all play centre mid, I know not necessarily all the "no.10" the op means.

Unless at least 2 of them are leaving this window I can't see anymore for that area being brought in.

5 in 15 is pretty decent I will give u that. Just seem to remember him missing a few and composure not being great.

He is a good player, but I think better competition is required in this position.

I agree.

It's one position we don't have cover for until Dorrans is fit.

This all day long

I agree.

It's one position we don't have cover for until Dorrans is fit.

The problem is that Dorrans hasn't played in that position for a long long time in his career (since his days at Norwich). He has long operated deeper to compensate for his legs going.

With this combined with his injury problems, I still think it leaves us short for effective cover in that area.

I can’t see it. At the minute our first choice midfield 3 would be Davis, Arfield and Jack, since we play with two wingers and just 1 up front, where we now have Morelos and Defoe, where would a creative number 10 play?

The problem is that Dorrans hasn't played in that position for a long long time in his career (since his days at Norwich). He has long operated deeper to compensate for his legs going.

With this combined with his injury problems, I still think it leaves us short for effective cover in that area.

I can't see how his legs have gone mate.

He's only 31 or 32 I think and he lives his life well.

He showed in Villarreal almost as soon as he came on what he can provide, with the slide rule pass to Arfield.

What he really needs to do is ensure he's fully fit before attempting to come back, so he can do himself justice.

I can’t see it. At the minute our first choice midfield 3 would be Davis, Arfield and Jack, since we play with two wingers and just 1 up front, where we now have Morelos and Defoe, where would a creative number 10 play?

I agree.

We don't play with a number 10 normally.

I can't see how his legs have gone mate.

He's only 31 or 32 I think and he lives his life well.

He showed in Villarreal almost as soon as he came on what he can provide, with the slide rule pass to Arfield.

What he really needs to do is ensure he's fully fit before attempting to come back, so he can do himself justice.

He's had loads of injuries that is why he moved deeper.

He was an attacking midfielder / box to box player at Norwich. However injuries took their toll & he wasn't as mobile so he moved further back & became a more deeper lying playmaker at West Brom.

This allows him to use his excellent array of passing (as you highlight) however he does need someone next to him to do all the dirty work & feed him the ball as he doesn't have the engine.

Why do you think Dorrans is finished?

Surely not just because he got a bad injury?

My concern about Graeme is his capacity to run for 90 minutes & physically compete MU. Not necessarily due to his injury.
When we played St Pats at Hampden I thought he was really exposed in not having enough running power & energy.
I really wanted him to be a massive success as he comes from the same part of Glasgow as I grew up, but I have my doubts.

I don’t know if I’d call it a number 10 but I’d like us to buy a young energetic midfielder who can compete, shoot including from distance & who can run beyond the striker(s).
I know to an extent Arfield can do that but he is regularly unfit & to me having a young option would be good.
I wouldn’t have Arfield out of my team but he can also play a range of positions.
I’d suggest Ivanusec.
I don’t think we should let the 29.12 game hide what we witnessed prior to that.

Back