Will youth players get their chance?

Marstonbear

Disappointed not to see Dallas on the bench today.

SG seems keen to talk up the young players, will we see them given a chance?

The decision to not have Dallas or Dapo on the bench yesterday was baffling. Why did we need Katic, McRorie, Barisic, Ejaria, Coulibaly on the bench with only Middleton as genuinely attacking threat. 2nd Half the game was crying out for an attacking substitution. We didn't need 2 centre halves and two holding midfielders. Give the youngsters a chance please SG.

The decision to not have Dallas or Dapo on the bench yesterday was baffling. Why did we need Katic, McRorie, Barisic, Ejaria, Coulibaly on the bench with only Middleton as genuinely attacking threat. 2nd Half the game was crying out for an attacking substitution. We didn't need 2 centre halves and two holding midfielders. Give the youngsters a chance please SG.
Yes it was truly “baffling” not to put a 16 year old and an untested player on the bench yesterday. Baffling.

Yes it was truly “baffling” not to put a 16 year old and an untested player on the bench yesterday. Baffling.
Not baffling I agree, but we were playing the bottom team. Had we ended up three up with half an hour to go, it would have been a good chance to put Dallas on to try him out, given we have so few striker options right now.

As opposed to the ‘tried & trusted’ players who have let Gerrard & us down badly twice in the space of 4 days?

Considering Middleton was the only attacking player on the bench, see no issue having someone ‘untested’ on the bench.

Not baffling I agree, but we were playing the bottom team. Had we ended up three up with half an hour to go, it would have been a good chance to put Dallas on to try him out, given we have so few striker options right now.
He’d have been swallowed up, Ibrox is where you bring these players on.
As opposed to the ‘tried & trusted’ players who have let Gerrard & us down badly twice in the space of 4 days?

Considering Middleton was the only attacking player on the bench, see no issue having someone ‘untested’ on the bench.
As opposed to the actual professional footballers yes.

Throw youth team players into a side that's struggling for form just now and under increasing pressure? Great idea....

As for yesterday's bench - throw in Arfield, Morelos, Murphy and Dorrans and all of a sudden the options middle-to-front look a bit different.

We're going through a bad patch. We need to hold our nerve and get back to what was working well at the start of the season - ie a settled defence and playing a high press. The one time we did that yesterday we dispossessed them on the edge of their own box and were almost in on goal. I've no idea why we've stopped doing that.

One personnel change I would make would be to get McCrorie into the middle of the park beside Jack (assuming he'll persist with Jack). Teams are smelling blood in there just now and I think we could do with a more physical presence and a bit more energy, which McCrorie has shown in the past.

However.... knee-jerk reactions and chucking kids into the side...? Not for me.

He’d have been swallowed up, Ibrox is where you bring these players on.

As opposed to the actual professional footballers yes.

Professional in terms of being senior footballers perhaps.

Professional in terms of their commitment & desire yesterday? Professional in terms of their ability to break down the 2nd worst side in the league with an extra man?

Professional in terms of being senior footballers perhaps.

Professional in terms of their commitment & desire yesterday? Professional in terms of their ability to break down the 2nd worst side in the league with an extra man?
Hindsight, eh, what’s it like?

Hindsight, eh, what’s it like?

What I said could easily apply to the Aberdeen game prior to yesterday’s shambles.

The team is overly reliant on Morelos & playing 2 water carriers like Jack & Rossiter does the team no favours. No creativity & no drive from central midfield.

The bench yesterday contained Katic, Coulibaly, Barisic, Ejaria, McCrorie. Where are the goals coming from there?

I’d also argue that Ejaria, McCrorie & Middleton are ‘tried & tested’. The 3 of them will be lucky to have played 100 games between them.

What I said could easily apply to the Aberdeen game prior to yesterday’s shambles.

The team is overly reliant on Morelos & playing 2 water carriers like Jack & Rossiter does the team no favours. No creativity & no drive from central midfield.

The bench yesterday contained Katic, Coulibaly, Barisic, Ejaria, McCrorie. Where are the goals coming from there?

I’d also argue that Ejaria, McCrorie & Middleton are ‘tried & tested’. The 3 of them will be lucky to have played 100 games between them.
Before the Aberdeen game we were flying so it’s just hindsight again.

Until we get to the January transfer window get used to it. Sadiq has been a huge let down we all know that so until we shift him and bring in someone else to challenge Morelos it won't change.

Honestly, I think we're over-reliant on fairly young and/or loan players and it's part of the problem we have.

The expectation levels placed on the likes of Kent, Middleton, Ejaria, Katic, Worrall, Rossiter, McCrorie and even Morelos who is still young is too significant a portion of our overall competitive squad.

Many of these guys are now deemed effectively key players and that doesn't sit right with me. A steady balance of younger players coming through and the odd loan to bolster the team is fine, but we lean on these guys to an unrealistically workable level.

We may argue that our circumstances have forced us down the loan path to a greater extent than is the norm, but regardless of that, I still think it's a problem for us on the pitch over the course. Despite getting some great performances and results, the consistency required to see the season out isn't going to be achieved by a constant chopping and changing of a load of inexperienced and temporary squad players.

We are screaming out for a spine that has a real steady leadership through it. A solid and dependable CB pairing (I think Goldson and Katic were growing into that well until Worrall got thrown in), a midfield with someone who can take proper control of a game and provide a continual threat and a reliable striker who is going to bag the goals (and remain on the pitch).

I think we have an abundance of technical ability through the team, but we still look like we lack the real character to keep delivering what is required. I do also firmly believe the amount of squad rotation is playing its part.

Would honestly take a chance and start Dallas against Hamilton on Sunday with Morelos out.

It's either between Dallas, Sadiq or Lafferty in the main striking role for that game and former two have shown nothing for months now.

we play against young players all the time. we have nothing to lose to have Dallas on the bench. he might not be top team ready but he might sniff out a goal in the last 10 minutes of a game

I think Dallas deserves to be on the bench v Hamilton. Scoring loads of goals for the reserves.

Maybe Middleton needs to go back and play a couple of games for the reserves as well. He's looked poor of late and maybe getting a couple of games without any pressure will help.

Back