MOTM Poll Willem II v Rangers - 20:00 Thursday - RangersTV UK & Rest of the World

Your Man of the Match

• Total voters
Maybe SG just can't be arsed with it though. He's maybe causing more grief than he's worth. Who knows. Fact is we've hardly seen him since he done himself a mischief getting injured & sent off in a oner. I really liked the look of him early on but he had a reluctancy to link up with Barisic for some reason. Either way, I suspect tonight was shop window.
If he offers something different he should be on the bench .. we are not blessed with a huge quality squad

Is it worth watching the game on delay? I presume from the first few pages of this thread we got fucked...
Skip the first 15 minutes then watch both first half goals.

Watch how, at the start of the second half, we were under pressure but Big Phil's header lanced the boil.

Easy street for a while and Big Sniffer's header sealed the game.

Last twenty minutes and we could have scored and they could have scored when the game went long. Brilliant Greegsy stopped it being 1-4 much to the cloggies' chagrin.

Last 10 minutes were for the Travelling Bears who done us proud.

Sorry, mate, I just spoiled the rewatch for you but the strange thing about tonight was it was an even game with us winning 0-4 - and one can't say that very often.

Well done Rangers-
I didn't see that coming - thought we might get a result - but also thought we'd do it the hard way

I can imagine that scoreline getting noticed by the rest left in this tournament
4 goals, without reply, away in Europe against Dutch opposition- that's no mean feat by any standards

If he offers something different he should be on the bench .. we are not blessed with a huge quality squad
He's a bit more direct than Kent & seems to have good pace. That square pass he made for Hagi was fantastic & left him all the time in the world but Hagi went for the floodlights. You'd think he'd get more game time given what he's shown but it doesn't seem to be happening. There's got to be something major happening behind the scenes.

After that high of watching two good teams playing football, allowing the other team to play football without trying to maim them and a game being properly officiated, it’s back to the dark ages on Sunday.

Willem II's European dream has come to an end. A deadly effective Rangers FC struck mercilessly in Tilburg. Where Willem II missed the opportunities, the physically strong Scots turned out to be masters in the completion: 0-4.

An empty stadium and steady rain. A more desolate ambiance was hardly conceivable. Still, the game started with fireworks that the supporters set off outside the stadium. It was supposed to incite the players to great European deeds. After Driess Saddiki and Victor van den Bogert, this time it was Miquel Nelom's turn to try as right back. Ché Nunnely and Mike Trésor were posted on the flanks.

Pavlidis hits the bar
Was it awe, inexperience or was it nerves? The fact was that Willem II was already facing an almost hopeless deficit after a quarter of a game. Until then, the team had come out quite well. In fact, Pavlidis had the opening goal on his shoe after fifteen minutes. Goalkeeper Allan McGregor couldn't get a shot from Derrick Köhn under control, but in the rebound the Greek hit the bar. In this way, Rangers FC escaped an early deficit.

Personal mistakes
The Scots initially had a hard time with the nicely combining Willem II. The home team remained well out of the duels, so the Scots took little advantage of their physical superiority. It seemed to be an exciting evening, but Willem II helped the Scots with personal mistakes in the saddle. First, Miquel Nelom tapped the fast Ryan Kent in the penalty area. Captain James Tavernier took advantage of the knock: 0-1. That setback hit hard in the Tilburg camp. Moments later goalkeeper Robbin Ruiter was unable to control a ball. Where Pavlidis hit the bar ten minutes earlier, Kent did strike in the rebound: 0-2. Nunnely failed to bring Willem II back into the game quickly. McGregor prevented the connection goal, leaving Rangers FC with a comfortable lead,

Sobering up
The second half was very much like the first act. Willem II seemed to come out of the dressing room well. Within two minutes Saglam was able to play, but the outstanding McGregor was once again in control. On the other hand, Rangers FC did strike immediately. A cross from the left was counter-headed by Swedish international Filip Helander: 0-3. The European sobering was complete when defender Connor Goldson was able to head the fourth goal behind Ruiter unimpeded.

Failed hit
It pleaded for the upset Willem II that it was still looking for the honor hit. A free kick from Trésor just sailed down the wrong side of the post. Ten minutes before the end, Pavlidis seemed to crown himself as Willem II's European top scorer, but the Italian referee Mariani rejected the goal because of hands. Thus the evening ended in a minor key. The previously hoped-for stunt against the Scottish superpower was not possible, as a result of which brave Willem II stranded in the third heat of the UEFA Europa League.

Not sure if it has been posted before but W2 supporters were setting off fireworks outside Rangers hotel in the middle of the night to stop them sleeping. Sounds like poets and not supporters of Willem of Orange

I predicted we'd all be happy bears at full time on page one last night. Fųcking love you Rangers.

See the ones saying that game could've been different if they had taken their chances, well the game at the weekend there would've been different if the linesman would've done his job and put his flag up.

Phuck sake we were away to a half decent Dutch team. Are our support so phuckin bammy that they thought they would have no chances. Even Hibs away they always have chances. Watch big Virgil v Leeds. A mistake every bit as bad as Goldson.

Think our support expect the perfect game every time. 5-0 and no errors.

Sorry chaps that's not how the fitba works.

Ridiculous to win 4-0 away against a decent Dutch team. After our aberration against the hivees I, along with most sensible FF’ers, expected a difficult match. It was and it wasn’t in the first half. Greegsy had some great saves. Reminded me of last season’s trip to Denmark. Thought in the 2nd half we kept our shape even better and scored 2 great headed goals. If, and it is a big if, to continue throughout the season like this will give us an opportunity to finally win some trophies this year.

Our European performances are assured organised and no longer surprising. Our style is suited to playing teams who themselves are fairly technical and want to win the game and it seems to help that there is not the same expectation on us to win every game.

Sunday is another chance to go out and comprehensively defeat an inferior opponent. No fatigue excuses as Murderwell have travelled further and been defeated into the bargain.

Europe has been brilliant but it is time to adapt and deal with what really matters. A midfielder or two with a bit of bite would go a long way to helping us out at home as we are seriously lacking a physical presence at times, though we should be doing better on ability alone.

To go away to Holland and come back with a 4-0 victory is a great achievement. There will always be some aspects of any match that can be improved upon, but for now I’m enjoying a fine result and walking with a spring in my step this morning.
Well done to all at the club for good preparation and a cracking result.

Our European performances are assured organised and no longer surprising. Our style is suited to playing teams who themselves are fairly technical and want to win the game and it seems to help that there is not the same expectation on us to win every game.

Sunday is another chance to go out and comprehensively defeat an inferior opponent. No fatigue excuses as Murderwell have travelled further and been defeated into the bargain.

Europe has been brilliant but it is time to adapt and deal with what really matters. A midfielder or two with a bit of bite would go a long way to helping us out at home as we are seriously lacking a physical presence at times, though we should be doing better on ability alone.

Another vote for Ryan Kent; but that was an excellent team performance; really enjoyed watching that last night.

Isn’t it amazing how much happier you feel when we put in a performance like that. This team has the potential to be special it’s about getting it out of them consistently.

Also what a goalkeeper Alan Mcgregor is, shame we were robbed of his services 2012 until his return. Just hope we can win the title before he retires.

I was on the thread yesterday saying McLaughlin shouldn't be replaced by Shagger - because he'd done nothing wrong

Well I'll eat humble pie & admit I was mistaken

The thing is though we really do have two superb keepers & although I wasn't too critical of Fod - we really are in a much better position now

Unfortunately I couldn't get to see the game, but more than delighted with the score. Did not expect that. Excellent work Rangers

Scott Arfield puts a power of work in, and I said we'd see him score a lot more for us once he got his first, now I'll say the same for big Cedric, once he gets his first his confidence will soar to score more.

Ye can take that to the bank.

Isn’t it amazing how much happier you feel when we put in a performance like that. This team has the potential to be special it’s about getting it out of them consistently.

Also what a goalkeeper Alan Mcgregor is, shame we were robbed of his services 2012 until his return. Just hope we can win the title before he retires.

That's my very same thoughts for a while now.

He has a worthy back up in Jon McLaughlin also.

Keep the good work goin Greegsy.

Kent’s form this season has been magnificent. However Mcgregors saves early on really kicked us up the arse and contributed to the win massively.

I wonder if murderwell will think to them selves...this Rangers team have done another Thursday and come away smiling, we've come back knackered!

Back