Willie Collum came close to quitting after relentless abuse

He did start off as a good ref. Unfortunately he has taken the easy route to submission since then.
He was never a good ref. Decisions are horrendous and he always wants to be the centre of attention. I've even seen him ref some championship games and he is just as brutal.

Of course the only team to ever put him under pressure for an INCORRECT decision was Rangers, no mention of Celtic fans or any other club giving him stick.

Selective journalism again.

Any mention of the word "Celtic" and it's removed from articles within the hour.

What are we doing as a club to protect our name. It's a bloody free for all when it comes to us.
The key there is "incorrect".

The Falkirk game he refers to was so bad it was barely believable.
Rangers going after him last year again was him being incorrect.
Anton Ferdinand puts Candeias in a headlock and has a go at punching him, but Candeias gets sent off?

The penalty we got at the shitpit was absolutely correct. It was a 2 handed shove.
The thing is, I've never heard the filth claim it wasn't a penalty, instead they decided Collum gave it when he had his back turned.

This, of course, is in spite of the photographic evidence of him looking right at the incident.

Falkirk penalty was really close millimetres in it stuff to be fair.

kl8AQDJ.png

Laughable.

Was that not Clancy?
No . It was Barry Cook who refs in the Championship, L1 and L2. Some of the refs there are brutal--even compared to SPFL ones. Cook reffed 23 games this past season and issued 96 yellows but only 1 red.

If he enjoys refereeing (which he must as that's what he's trained to do) but doesn't want the aggro, he could just ask the SFA to give him games in lower divisions where there is not the exposure or hassle.

And clear off from the Premiership and cups.

Simples!

The problem ( one of the problems) I have with collum is he doesn’t take time to think about what he’s seen, he just reacts instinctively. He’s bad for all teams.

Why are we stuck with the Celtic loving ref's? Ship them off to England every game and we'll take their officials here maybe see some fair games.

Comes across as poor me so I got some decisions wrong so what I shouldnt get abuse and should be allowed to continue to be incompetent.

I can remember the decision but I dont actually remember their being much of an outcry from us or there being an online campaign and petition. We get that many 'bad' decisions against right enough it could be this one has just been forgotten about.

I remember the days on here when Collum was regarded as our preferred referee - incompetent, but not a cheat. How times change, eh?

“I never came into refereeing to be in the media spotlight. I don’t think referees should have a profile where it’s some kind of celebrity status

This is a very interesting comment and a clear dig at Bobby Madman and this friendship between match officials and the absolute dregs in the scottish media. Celebrity status comes with cheating, being biased against Rangers going out to manipulate football games. Do it you are hero think back to Craig Thomson you would think he was Henrik Larsson or a playing legend if you listened to superscoreboard or bought a daily record. Now its Madden and Bobby loves every second of it.

i also think Collum is a decent guy an honest person but in a difficult position because he works for (and alongside) the most sleekit/ corrupt people in the history of world sport. Hes always being attacked by Celtic minded as hes the one ref, maybe only ref, that gives decisions against them.

Beaton mentioned survival which basically means giving decisions against Rangers all the time but never ever Celtic, Clancy decided to speak about the cheating performance in the last old firm game even if it was just bs excuses 4/5 months later, now this interview with Collum. If Rangers were smart we would now speak with the refs ask them about whats been going on as if we didnt know the tims have totally corrupted the game and the first place they would target is refereeing.

Good post. I have always thought that Collum is one of the more 'honest' referees in this country. With regard to your comments about the people he works beside, I remember hearing about the abuse he received in his workplace following that game at Parkhead many years ago when he awarded a penalty to Rangers and we went on to win 4-2.

Makes a lot of mistakes but I at least feel he is honest and his mistakes happen to every team.

A few of the others though....
I know where you’re coming from, I don’t wholeheartedly agree, but I get it.
Put it this way, I’d rather him than the supposed Rangers supporters like Madden and Beaton.

That's not really what it suggests tho.
He admitted thst he made 2 bad mistakes in a match immediately after a career high point.
Doesn't come close to making out we were the bad ones.

"Relentless abuse"

"Online petition"

"Family's wellbeing"

"Rangers"

Come on man. This isn't a new thing, don't be so naive ffs.

After he gave us a penalty at Parkhead he got death threats and phone calls to his house abusing his family. You'd think in the context of what the article is about he might have slipped in a mention of that, no?

No . It was Barry Cook who refs in the Championship, L1 and L2. Some of the refs there are brutal--even compared to SPFL ones. Cook reffed 23 games this past season and issued 96 yellows but only 1 red.
I stand corrected.

Oh f uckin boo hoo collum,
It's big bad rangers fault that you are a lying cheating mentally challenged prick,

I’ll be honest

I don’t think he is a cheat.

I think he genuinely calls things as he sees them

His issue sometimes though, is he rushes into making decisions without thinking things through

You might be right. But explain his deliberate decision to ignore the advice from the fourth assistant back in September 2018 when Rangers should have had a foul but instead led to a breakaway by the filth that ended in the only goal of the game?

Give a bad decision against Rangers and you get abuse, give a bad decision against Celtic and your windows get smashed, your car gets it and you get death threats.
Worse part is the media are not interested or told not to be interested.

I always gave Collum the benefit of the doubt and thought he was the best of a bad bunch but after the Candeias - Ferdinand fiasco my opinion of him changed.

OK, I am sure there is much more I can say about what hes written but I can't get over 2 of the main issues here, they are hurting my brain. 1. He is only 41!?!??! Jesus H! Hard paper round much? and 2. He's married?!?!? NAH!!

If he almost quit because of the petition, let’s get another one going for his clear bias.

No mention of the time the bheasts slaughtered him for the Broadfoot penalty. Nope. Just big bad Rangers.

The biggest 'controversy' of his career not mentioned. Bet he was ready to quit after that abuse.
Or perhaps he just made a conscious decision to rob us blind henceforth, like sending off Candeias for blowing a kiss.

The biggest 'controversy' of his career not mentioned. Bet he was ready to quit after that abuse.
Or perhaps he just made a conscious decision to rob us blind henceforth, like sending off Candeias for blowing a kiss.
and lying that he had seen it.

I think he's a very poor referee. He just rushes or anticipates too many decisions when he'd do better to give himself a couple of seconds to check what he thought was going to happen was actually what happened.

Once he backs himself into a corner the school teacher comes out trying to maintain control once he knows he's botched it.
Been saying this for years. He sees an incident and rushes over, makes an immediate decision, pulls a card out. He would be a half decent ref if he took a few moments to mentally analyse what occurred.

It's a double edged sword for Collum and can sympathise slightly with him.

He needs to make the right calls and it can be justified. But he makes so many bad calls its makes him the focus and not the players.

He should just leave the refereeing behind as he is not that good at what he does so he does deserve criticism but sometimes it can be over the top I.e. Broadfoot penalty. (For any poets looking in, have a look at the angles you will see it was a stonewaller) and he was right to call that.

The penalty at Falkirk was a joke. Pathetic joke. Only took us 4 years to get an apology for that.

Pity he didn’t retire. If he tried refereeing more evenhandly, rather on instinct, then maybe there would be no need for petitions. He’s another example of the times we live in where people are quick to blame others rather than have a long hard look at themselves

Well he was absolute garbage against Rangers in the Cup Final in December last year .

And with the Candieas second yellow card at st mirren he made a ridiculously bias call and then reinforced it by lying during the follow up process .

That isn’t bad play or lack of form imo . That makes WC a cheat

Back