Willie Collum came close to quitting after relentless abuse

No mention of the time the bheasts slaughtered him for the Broadfoot penalty. Nope. Just big bad Rangers.
True story I knew a chap through work who was a referee supervisor told me a story about that incident which was a penalty. Collum is a teacher at an RC school when he went into work on the Monday after the game his colleagues mostly blanked him to the extent that he had to take breaks and eat lunch in his classroom. Sums them all up really.

I doubt he has any real rapport with the players - runs about like a wee automaton. The Candeias sending off was outrageous. Came rushing over thinking Candeias had somehow raised a hand and couldn't wait to produce a card. I'm convinced the blowing kisses trash was made up after the fact to justify it having watched TV. A Celtic player in identical situation ? - not a chance of a card and that's what we're up against.

WILLIE COLLUM has revealed he’s been close to QUITTING as a referee due to abuse.

Scotland’s top whistler opened up on the pressures of constantly operating in the spotlight.

Collum, 41, rose through the SFA ranks to reach the Fifa list, but admits he has considered walking away.

He said: “I’ve thought about quitting lots of times. My wife has said to me maybe it’s time to give it up.

“ That could be down to the stress being too much.

“I never came into refereeing to be in the media spotlight. I don’t think referees should have a profile where it’s some kind of celebrity status.

"That’s up to the players and managers as they are the entertainers. Referees are there to do a job.

“I’ve had some difficult times and you do worry about the negative effect it has on your own well-being and the wellbeing of your family.

“Who does a referee turn to for support? It can be very lonely.

“Yes, we have got colleagues we can turn to, but it can often be your wife you turn to on a Saturday night.”

Collum classes being selected to referee at Euro 2016 as one of the best moments of his long career.

But he revealed that high was immediately followed by a low that made him question continuing.

Collum, speaking to The Lockdown Tactics podcast, added: “In late 2015 I was appointed to the list for Euro 2016 to represent Scotland, probably the highlight of my career.

“The following Saturday I was refereeing Falkirk vs Rangers on live telly and it was not a good performance.

“There was a wrong penalty awarded for a handball and a penalty awarded incorrectly when the foul was committed outside the box.

“I knew people would slaughter me.

There was a snowball effect as I went on a run of three or four games when things didn’t go well.

“It was a really difficult period and the SFA made the decision to bring me out of the spotlight for a period.

“There was an online petition about me and thousands of people signed it for me to never referee again.
“Every single day, every single night, that was on my mind, nothing else.

"I    remember thinking if I should come out and speak in the media about how it was affecting me.

“That whole period really affected my wellbeing, and the wellbeing of my family.

“That was a time I was very close to giving up and my wife wanted me to finish.

When I got on the plane to go to Euro 2016 I was proud because I was representing Scotland.

“But my underlying thought was, ‘Don’t make a mess of this, don’t embarrass yourself’.

“I had two games and came back intact. I came back more determined than ever to succeed.”
I never came into refereeing to be in the media spotlight so move over so I can write a story of lies and nonsense for a newspaper so I can get in the media spotlight.FUD

It's a double edged sword for Collum and can sympathise slightly with him.

He needs to make the right calls and it can be justified. But he makes so many bad calls its makes him the focus and not the players.

He should just leave the refereeing behind as he is not that good at what he does so he does deserve criticism but sometimes it can be over the top I.e. Broadfoot penalty. (For any poets looking in, have a look at the angles you will see it was a stonewaller) and he was right to call that.

The penalty at Falkirk was a joke. Pathetic joke. Only took us 4 years to get an apology for that.
They know it was a penalty. That doesn't matter according to them he guessed and that made him public enemy #1. It was more that they think a Kafflic could give a decision against them that they hated. It's just mental.

WILLIE COLLUM has revealed he’s been close to QUITTING as a referee due to abuse.

Scotland’s top whistler opened up on the pressures of constantly operating in the spotlight.

Collum, 41, rose through the SFA ranks to reach the Fifa list, but admits he has considered walking away.

He said: “I’ve thought about quitting lots of times. My wife has said to me maybe it’s time to give it up.

“I never came into refereeing to be in the media spotlight. I don’t think referees should have a profile where it’s some kind of celebrity status.

"That’s up to the players and managers as they are the entertainers. Referees are there to do a job.

“I’ve had some difficult times and you do worry about the negative effect it has on your own well-being and the wellbeing of your family.

“Yes, we have got colleagues we can turn to, but it can often be your wife you turn to on a Saturday night.”

Collum classes being selected to referee at Euro 2016 as one of the best moments of his long career.

But he revealed that high was immediately followed by a low that made him question continuing.

Collum, speaking to The Lockdown Tactics podcast, added: “In late 2015 I was appointed to the list for Euro 2016 to represent Scotland, probably the highlight of my career.

“The following Saturday I was refereeing Falkirk vs Rangers on live telly and it was not a good performance.

“There was a wrong penalty awarded for a handball and a penalty awarded incorrectly when the foul was committed outside the box.

There was a snowball effect as I went on a run of three or four games when things didn’t go well.

“It was a really difficult period and the SFA made the decision to bring me out of the spotlight for a period.

“There was an online petition about me and thousands of people signed it for me to never referee again.

"I    remember thinking if I should come out and speak in the media about how it was affecting me.

“That whole period really affected my wellbeing, and the wellbeing of my family.

When I got on the plane to go to Euro 2016 I was proud because I was representing Scotland.

“But my underlying thought was, ‘Don’t make a mess of this, don’t embarrass yourself’.

“I had two games and came back intact. I came back more determined than ever to succeed.”
Scotland's top referee, made me laugh

I’ve thought about quitting lots of times
WMI0po4.gif

Shows that refs are incompetent as are the beaks who allow them to continue through bad runs of form! Make mistakes then %^*& off and make mistakes at park football until you approve

All referees make mistakes. Willie doesn’t help himself by whistling too quickly. He is miked up to his assistants but it would appear that he doesn’t listen to them. But some referees are like that. I worked with a linesman years ago and he told me some referees were very happy to have lots of information from his assistants but others just wanted offsides and ball out of play stuff.

How about you get good at your job instead of acting like a wee victim Gollum you fucking wank

Your problems of abuse are nothing compared to what Mike McCurry got Willie.

No mention of the time the bheasts slaughtered him for the Broadfoot penalty. Nope. Just big bad Rangers.

It was Peter Houston , the then Falkirk manager, that slaughtered him even after awarding them a penalty that was about 5 yards outside the box... it was actually the linesman that gave it

“I never came into refereeing to be in the media spotlight. I don’t think referees should have a profile where it’s some kind of celebrity status."

He's a lying bastard! He loves the spotlight.

I don't want the spotlight so I'm doing an interview in a newspaper to tell you I don't want the spotlight.

As there has been a referee strike because of celtic and no one else how can a referee talk about hassle and being slaughtered and not mention them

You might be right. But explain his deliberate decision to ignore the advice from the fourth assistant back in September 2018 when Rangers should have had a foul but instead led to a breakaway by the filth that ended in the only goal of the game?

Personally I would think he felt that he had a much better view than the 4th official at the time and surely didn’t think it was a foul (although he was actually wrong and it was a foul).

They know it was a penalty. That doesn't matter according to them he guessed and that made him public enemy #1. It was more that they think a Kafflic could give a decision against them that they hated. It's just mental.

He was fast tracked through the SFA.

The quality is less than most would expect this allowing anyone who joins the Refereeing to get promotion after promotion due to persistence rather than capability.

Again, it's another double edged sword. The more mistakes a referees, the media and poets get their teeth into it makes it a less attractive past time or career for people to get into the industry.

Why the fuuk would you take a job where you get abused taking your children to a soft play, park or going for a beer with your pals (that's if you have any left)

He was fast tracked through the SFA.

The quality is less than most would expect this allowing anyone who joins the Refereeing to get promotion after promotion due to persistence rather than capability.

Again, it's another double edged sword. The more mistakes a referees, the media and poets get their teeth into it makes it a less attractive past time or career for people to get into the industry.

Why the fuuk would you take a job where you get abused taking your children to a soft play, park or going for a beer with your pals (that's if you have any left)

Why was he fast tracked?

Personally I would think he felt that he had a much better view than the 4th official at the time and surely didn’t think it was a foul (although he was actually wrong and it was a foul).

So what exactly is the point of 4th officials, if referees actually disregard their views intentionally?

And Collum's decision that day was intentional.

I don't want the spotlight so I'm doing an interview in a newspaper to tell you I don't want the spotlight.

As there has been a referee strike because of celtic and no one else how can a referee talk about hassle and being slaughtered and not mention them

Cant disagree with your 2nd point but its one interview in 20 years and its a dig at the guys that perform for the media every single week, Craig Thomson when he was around (id guess hes still training them and giving tips on the importance of press/media management) and Bobby Madden.

Its like big brother or one of these reality tv shows, the refs want to be loved by people that hate us.

New season will start this group of officials will want to show im the maist tim friendly ref of the lot that is how you keep getting the big fixtures.

Rangers dont win this league with refs like Madden, Clancy, McLean.... you know the guys dont get any nasty coverage in the papers or on tv and probably never need a buy a beer in a tim pub.

I remember the days on here when Collum was regarded as our preferred referee - incompetent, but not a cheat. How times change, eh?

Yeah hes had a tough couple of years made some odd decisions(st mirren game looked like he cheated) and hes not as popular as he once was, id still say over 20 years hes made dozens of big calls our way and against the tims so prefer collum to the others that are without doubt cheats that go out there to manipulate the games. Hes on his own it cannot be easy for the guy.

Its a sad situation but this is what happens when one team controls the media and runs the game.

You still believe all that stuff is nonsense and just a way for the Rangers support to avoid giving Lennon, the tim players and their board credit, and ofcourse also to avoid having a go at Gerrard ?

Back