Willie Henderson donates equipment to Sheffield Hospital

I remember working in Dumfries in 1972 & getting on the Glasgow train coming from down south
There were four of us all bluenose,s & who,s sitting on his own wee Willie, rightaway one of our guys asked if we could join him, no problem to the wee Barra
He ended up playing cards & although we had a " Kerry oot " Willie insisted on buying a round of drinks
We came off the train with him ( one of our boys carried his bag ) & who was waiting for the wee man, big Dandy McLean

Well Done Mr Henderson,another lovely thing to do. :cool:

Sheffield has the best people in England.
I've found Sheffield to be a good place with good people too. Got well looked after when me and the old man went down to Hillsborough a couple of summers back. Went into the nearest off the beaten track boozer from where we parked up and the pub was full of Wednesday fans - no hassle, well looked after for food and drink - no airs or graces. A few Wednesday fans stopped us on the way back to the car to tell us that the Rangers support was the best away support to visit Hillsborough bar none and two of the guys were in their late sixties.

I'd go back to Sheffield for a game if the opportunity arose.

P.S. Forgot to mention, well done to Willie. More power to your elbow sir!

Last edited:
I just had a keek at Owlstalk - the Sheffield Wed forum - and they have three very complimentary pages about Willie: https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic/285891-willie-henderson/#comments

The opening post made me proud that one of our own is so highly regarded:

"What a great gesture from Willie Henderson in memory of his daughter. He wasn't with us very long but what memories and what a character. Players like him and Terry Curran don't seem to exist anymore. Interacting with fans and playing with a smile. Great days."

Waddell was quick to move him on and bring his favourite Tommy McLean in from Kilmarnock. I preferred Wullie and he seems to have impressed with Sheffield. He was an example of if you're good enough, you get in the team regardless of youth. He cost Alex Scott his place and he was the Scotland outside right. Wouldn't happen now though.

Waddell was quick to move him on and bring his favourite Tommy McLean in from Kilmarnock. I preferred Wullie and he seems to have impressed with Sheffield. He was an example of if you're good enough, you get in the team regardless of youth. He cost Alex Scott his place and he was the Scotland outside right. Wouldn't happen now though.
Wee Tam is probably the most divisive winger in Rangers' history. He had big boots to fill. I think he did so. Others will disagree.

And his own hero had the same name as yourself, Stanley Mathews.
Hi frankbear. Just to set the record straight, my avatar refers to Jim Baxter, whose nickname by his fellow players at Ibrox was ’Stanley’, in reference to his comic namesake, Stanley Baxter. If you have never heard of Stanley Baxter go on youtube and look for Francie & Josie. It was a Scottish sitcom that was a massive hit in the early ’60’s. The comedian was well known for his quick jibes and Jim Baxter was known for his ’patter’ in the dressingroom, hence his nickname.

Back