Willie Henderson on Real Madrid

You could see his face light up and then dim slightly talking of the away defeat, then light up again.
Rangers are doing a great job getting Arsenal and Real Madrid for 150 years celebrations.
Real don’t just play anyone, and even when they do play it costs mucho dollar. The board have pushed the boat out on this, and I for one think it’s is very fitting, not only to have such prestigious opponents, but to have Grieg and Henderson regale us with their experiences as young men in that team.

Was at the ’63 game and Wee Wullie is right - I clearly remember we played well and had a few chances to win the game. Baxter was class that night. Wee Wullie had a good game and he felt himself that the game at Ibrox went well. Just that Puskas sneaked one in and that was that. Interesting that I can remember Puskas scored into the Copland Rd end with a couple of minutes to go, ’cause normally we’d be shooting into that goal 2nd half. Goes to show Real had done their homework. One other thing was coming away from Ibrox I didn’t feel too downhearted ’cause we’d come close to giving them a fright. I’d love to see the game again, as it would probably confirm how brilliant Slim Jim was on that stage with Puskas, De Stefano, Ghento, Santamaria - all world class players.

Was at the ’63 game and Wee Wullie is right - I clearly remember we played well and had a few chances to win the game. Baxter was class that night. Wee Wullie had a good game and he felt himself that the game at Ibrox went well. Just that Puskas sneaked one in and that was that. Interesting that I can remember Puskas scored into the Copland Rd end with a couple of minutes to go, ’cause normally we’d be shooting into that goal 2nd half. Goes to show Real had done their homework. One other thing was coming away from Ibrox I didn’t feel too downhearted ’cause we’d come close to giving them a fright. I’d love to see the game again, as it would probably confirm how brilliant Slim Jim was on that stage with Puskas, De Stefano, Ghento, Santamaria - all world class players.
The bigger the game the better Baxter played.

Wee Willie Henderson is always worth a listen to. A childhood hero of mine.

Back