Willie Henderson's Greatest XI

Talking to him in Club Europe last season and he told me his idol was Sir Stanley Matthews. Biggest thrill he got was when Matthews called him to take part in that game.

This was from players he had played with.

Here is the team to save others having to listen to Chick Young’s endless rubbish about himself and other clichés and John Hughes asking about Celtic. And I being serious about how much garbage Young talks.

Lev Yashin

RB - Karl Heinz Schnelinger (Germany – Rest of Europe vs England) (Alex Hamilton of Dundee mentioned)
CH – John Charles (‘the greatest CH I played with’)
CH – John Greig (‘has to be in the team’) Despite Chick suggesting McNeil ☹
LB – Giovanni Facchetti (‘too good for me’. Also mentioned Eric Caldow.)

M – Johan Cruyff (played with him ROW team)
M – Jim Baxter (‘One of the first players in the team. When at his fittest as good a player as any in the world. His confidence spread throughout the team.’)

F - George Best (‘did not know how good he was – fame does not come itself.’
F - Dennis Law (‘had to be my team’.)
F - Di Stefanno
F - Eusebio (‘At one time he was the equal of Pele. Real nice man.’)

Here is the team to save others having to listen to Chick Young’s endless rubbish about himself and other clichés and John Hughes asking about Celtic. And I being serious about how much garbage Young talks.

Lev Yashin

RB - Karl Heinz Schnelinger (Germany – Rest of Europe vs England) (Alex Hamilton of Dundee mentioned)

M – Jim Baxter (‘One of the first players in the team. When at his fittest as good a player as any in the world. His confidence spread throughout the team.’)

F - Di Stefanno

What a team that is, only saw Greig, Cruyff, Baxter, Best, Law, Eusebio and Mr Henderson. Feel privileged to have done so.

Talking to him in Club Europe last season and he told me his idol was Sir Stanley Matthews. Biggest thrill he got was when Matthews called him to take part in that game.

Sir Stanley Matthews described Henderson as "The best winger in Europe when on form", after the England v Scotland game in 1963, when Eric Caldow broke his leg.

Some older Bears might know who the England left back was that day, but apparently Henderson absolutely destroyed him.

That is some list of players he played with. Puskas must only be a sub!

And a special gold star for picking no Celtic players even though he will have played with a few of them with Scotland.

Need to find Footage of Facchetti, if he was better than Eric Caldow!

And a special gold star for picking no Celtic players even though he will have played with a few of them with Scotland.

I await your research... Lol

We're waiting. ;) :))

Sir Stanley Matthews described Henderson as "The best winger in Europe when on form", after the England v Scotland game in 1963, when Eric Caldow broke his leg.

Some older Bears might know who the England left back was that day, but apparently Henderson absolutely destroyed him.

I believe it was Gerry Byrne of Liverpool.

Nice wee word about Jack Charlton at a post match 'function':

"First to arrive and least to leave!"

Got to know Willie over the years due to him married to my mates sister ( my teenage ex girlfreind) and he is a smashing guy with some great stories.
The wee man was as every bit as good as Johnstone IMO but he (Johnstone) got all the adulation off the media,
A true Rangers legend

Lev Yashin

F - Di Stefanno
Ron MacKinnon the best center half Willie ever played with,is the correct answer,lock it in.;)

Great team by wee willie. Great to see Slim Jim is up there with the other legends. Btw, I’m sure I saw Facchetti in the Inter team v us in March ’65 at Ibrox.

Met him a few times in Club Europe and he is diamond. Absolute legend imo.

Great player. He had terrible eyesight apparently. Lucky to have met him a few times at Ibrox. True gent, loves the Rangers.
Henderson McLean Miller Brand and Wilson was forward line in my 1st home game aged 6 (8.2.64). We lost 2-3 my Dad and Uncle Bert said I was a jinx. Went on to win the league and Scottish cup though.

Back