WIllie Johnston on John McMaster

Rudolph Hucker

That’s a shocking assault. No place for that in the game.

Bud could have broken a toenail thanks to the sheepy lunging in throat-first. And as usual the innocent Bear is given zero protection from the referee.

Taximan2002

Happened right in front of me that night, first time I’ve seen it since then and it’s still very poor from Bud, no need for it at all...

Was in main stand that night, spoke to bud years later about it; said he over heard someone saying they were going to do him so got in there first , mistaken identity oops, wee man still a legend

Grant K

They won the tie with a last minute penalty that was for a foul about 3 yards outside the box.
Once of the worst decisions I have ever seen.

Yet refs all favour Rangers apparently.

You forgot to mention that the flag was also up for offside.

flootbon

Nasty foul and the right decision to send him off. But it was one of those incidents that was blown out of proportion with the "kiss of life" crap. Another massive story because it was a Rangers player. The lies and hype were going on back then as well.

kdy_bear

Willie knew how to dish out retribution. Nae hissy fits, just give them it right back in spades with interest. I'm sure he must near enough hold the record for sendings off up here and down south.

reallyruff

Another from EE. My view was McMaster dived in two footed on Ger already on the deck, Willie comes in and sorted him for his cheap shot. Funny how time fogs the memory.

nemessis

I'm certain McMaster was no angel either I'm sure he did 3 months in Glenochil before going to Abaardeen.

two2tango

Official Ticketer
Was at that game as a youngster. Right in front of the west enclosure must have been 20 yards from it

Was a nasty bastard challenge

Kent's agent

[QUOTE=".
In my opinon, this incident lit the fuse of the bad blood from Dolly towards us, which only got worse as the years progressed.[/QUOTE]

Agree with this . I new a couple of sheep fans in 1970,s and they were very much in line with us politically and hated the beasts with a passion

bilkobear

It was proper naughty from Willie, who you could kick in a match but if you took a liberty too far then Bud could be... well proper naughty.
I am sure Bud looks back on this particular incident with some regret.

Gibraltar Loyal

Ref looks like McGinlay to me. Might be wrong but wouldnt surprise me as that would become his MO ( having said that he may have been correct on this occasion...)

Grigo Yossarian

[QUOTE=".
In my opinon, this incident lit the fuse of the bad blood from Dolly towards us, which only got worse as the years progressed.
Agree with this . I new a couple of sheep fans in 1970,s and they were very much in line with us politically and hated the beasts with a passion
[/QUOTE]

Yes, pre Fergie there was a good relationship with them, well at least up until the mid 70’s.

Club & fans.

Grimsdale

Dinnae make them like Bud anymore. Alway thought McMaster was one of Fergies unsung heroes at Aberdoom, especially when he moved him back into defence. Good player.