WIllie Johnston on John McMaster

PalefaceRedskin

Aberdeen were a disgrace that night and got away with it as they always seemed to do.

Bud left a foot in and it went wrong. There was a lot worse happened that night that went unpunished but because it was Bud it was the worst thing ever seen on a football. Maybe if had put McMaster out the game for three years he would have got an SFA community coaching role.

kdy_bear

Maybe we should sing Willie's name next time we play the sheep, or is that a bit sick and classless that no other clubs fans would contemplate after a 'dirty challenge' by one of their players. :cool:

Melbbear

Remember it well a bit naughty. On the other side of it wee bud got kicked feck out off and got no protection. In today’s game he would be unreal no tackling from the back.

Marvin_Andrews_Loyal

Well before my time but I know John McMaster and his brother very well (neighbours).

Very quiet unassuming guy, that tackle was a shocker. Don't know what he was like as a player but he's a nice guy now.

Woodrow Call

Remember it well a bit naughty. On the other side of it wee bud got kicked feck out off and got no protection. In today’s game he would be unreal no tackling from the back.
Pish. By this point Bud was just about done and Aberdeen were beating us easily just about every time they played us.John McMaster was a converted winger and was never a dirty player. Bud was lucky he never got the jail. McMaster was lucky he never ended up in hospital a shocking embarrassing but of play from a Rangers player.

ranger33

Pish. By this point Bud was just about done and Aberdeen were beating us easily just about every time they played us.John McMaster was a converted winger and was never a dirty player. Bud was lucky he never got the jail. McMaster was lucky he never ended up in hospital a shocking embarrassing but of play from a Rangers player.
You sound like someone who never played at any level.

Woodrow Call

You sound like someone who never played at any level.
Ì played at loads of levels until I was 40. I never felt the need to stamp on anyone's neck.

You sound like a wee gay fanny that never kicked a ball in his life. It was a disgraceful bit of play well documented by the gub in FF fanzine

ranger33

Ì played at loads of levels until I was 40. I never felt the need to stamp on anyone's neck.

You sound like a wee gay fanny that never kicked a ball in his life. It was a disgraceful bit of play well documented by the gub in FF fanzine
In
Go and watch the footage again.

SimonLeBon

I was there midweek match. Aberdeen were kicking everything that moved that night they won the title that season and were a really good team.

I think John McMaster is one of The People, lived in Erskine.

steincolin

Was at both games. Was in the West enclosure when bud got sent off. Bit of bother up there after the game

Woodrow Call

I was there midweek match. Aberdeen were kicking everything that moved that night they won the title that season and were a really good team.

I think John McMaster is one of The People, lived in Erskine.
Aberdeen dis not need to kick us. They were miles ahead of us.

Fingers1872

A big time blast from the past , I was at this game in the main stand it happened right in front of me
You must have been sitting near me Steve, knew straight away it was a sending off. With hindsight and Neil Simpson it's a pity bud didn't end the kvnts carreer.

Bumplittledipper

I remember that vividly, I was only 9. I think I was in the Centenary Stand.

Incidentally I have been looking for that clip over the years and could never find it so cheers for posting OP.

At the time I remember my auld man saying 'ach McMaster is a pape he deserves it'. And I wonder how I am so fcked in the heid nowadays.

Saudiger

Right in front of me (In West Enlosure that night)
same mate !

reference the return leg at sheepville we were again cheated with a last min pen for Aberdeen with strachan getting fouled at least 2 yards outside the box but diving inside and the effin ref giving the pen :(

huistra23

It would have been the second leg, and dolly went through via a quite diabolical penalty decision given against Colin Jackson. The tackle (due to his atrocious first touch) was well outside the box.

I think the referee was George Smith.

As for the first leg and wee bud's behaviour? Nah, that's not how you're supposed to remember your childhood idol.
Penalty was definitely outside the box, Jackson on Strachan IIRC.those were the days that was our end, before being moved to the Beach end

Jase

Wee Wullie Johnston was crazier than a box of frogs but he was another one who suffered because of an unfair reputation. He got kicked to feck all over the shop with no protection from the officials but they were quick enough with the cards when he reacted.

sydneyger65

I remember that vividly, I was only 9. I think I was in the Centenary Stand.

Incidentally I have been looking for that clip over the years and could never find it so cheers for posting OP.

At the time I remember my auld man saying 'ach McMaster is a pape he deserves it'. And I wonder how I am so fcked in the heid nowadays.
Centenary stand was gone by that game.

bullen an la

Official Ticketer
The Late night papers had the Scottish media scum claiming the kiss of life was given
Lying bastards
See bears, it's not a new thing with the media

two2tango

Official Ticketer
I was 7 years old down the front of the west enclosure with a perfect view

still remember it like yesterday

chilling stamp

now as an adult and after watching the shite we have to endure from those bastards

well done bud

monkey magic

A McMaster deflection into his own net helped us win the League Cup Final in 1979. :)

2 minutes 10 seconds into the clip.

Rangerista

Completely misread the thread title, I thought Bud was giving us his take on the incident, I didn't think it was literally "on". :)