WIllie Johnston on John McMaster

First time I've saw this. Nasty but expected it to be more of a full fledged stamp rather than standing on his throat.

Remember the Gub in the Fanzine years ago saying watching Bud do that broke his heart...

Didn't Bud get the wrong guy?

Wasn't it Miller or Rougvie he was attempting to exact revenge on?

Oddly he played from 1964 to 1969 with no sending off. From then on is something else :D

Reactions: o7o
Was in the Broomie as a schoolboy. Think you used to get free paper hats (kind of spiral type) at that time.

Watching that clip - Bud’s team-mates don’t rush in to stop him being surrounded by the Mutton Molesters.

Changed days.

If I remember right it was a mid week game and the press still wanted Bud's head from Argentina 1978 and went to town on him over the next week claiming McMaster nearly died.

The next game at Pittodrie after that was utter mayhem. I think it was the second leg of that match, but might be wrong.
We had the Paddock end at the time, and there were bottles, cans, stones and basically any movable object traded between both sets of supporters. The Police were a joke that night.
In my opinon, this incident lit the fuse of the bad blood from Dolly towards us, which only got worse as the years progressed.

The next game at Pittodrie after that was utter mayhem. I think it was the second leg of that match, but might be wrong.
We had the Paddock end at the time, and there were bottles, cans, stones and basically any movable object traded between both sets of supporters. The Police were a joke that night.
In my opinon, this incident lit the fuse of the bad blood from Dolly towards us, which only got worse as the years progressed.

They won the tie with a last minute penalty that was for a foul about 3 yards outside the box.
Once of the worst decisions I have ever seen.

Yet refs all favour Rangers apparently.

It would have been the second leg, and dolly went through via a quite diabolical penalty decision given against Colin Jackson. The tackle (due to his atrocious first touch) was well outside the box.

I think the referee was George Smith.

As for the first leg and wee bud's behaviour? Nah, that's not how you're supposed to remember your childhood idol.

Was in the Broomie as a schoolboy. Think you used to get free paper hats (kind of spiral type) at that time.

Watching that clip - Bud’s team-mates don’t rush in to stop him being surrounded by the Mutton Molesters.

Changed days.
I remember these hats!

Remember it well. Fell out with my Dad who was apalled at the foul whilst I backed Johnston.

Happened right in front of me in the west enclosure
the 2nd leg as many have said was a disgraceful refereeing performance pretty sure it was wee Chesney that big bomber tackled clearly outside the box , wee prick launched himself into the box for the ref to give the pen

That’s a shocking assault. No place for that in the game.

Bud could have broken a toenail thanks to the sheepy lunging in throat-first. And as usual the innocent Bear is given zero protection from the referee.

Happened right in front of me that night, first time I’ve seen it since then and it’s still very poor from Bud, no need for it at all...

Was in main stand that night, spoke to bud years later about it; said he over heard someone saying they were going to do him so got in there first , mistaken identity oops, wee man still a legend

They won the tie with a last minute penalty that was for a foul about 3 yards outside the box.
Once of the worst decisions I have ever seen.

Yet refs all favour Rangers apparently.

You forgot to mention that the flag was also up for offside.

Back