WIllie Johnston on John McMaster

Nasty foul and the right decision to send him off. But it was one of those incidents that was blown out of proportion with the "kiss of life" crap. Another massive story because it was a Rangers player. The lies and hype were going on back then as well.

Willie knew how to dish out retribution. Nae hissy fits, just give them it right back in spades with interest. I'm sure he must near enough hold the record for sendings off up here and down south.

Another from EE. My view was McMaster dived in two footed on Ger already on the deck, Willie comes in and sorted him for his cheap shot. Funny how time fogs the memory.

I'm certain McMaster was no angel either I'm sure he did 3 months in Glenochil before going to Abaardeen.

Was at that game as a youngster. Right in front of the west enclosure must have been 20 yards from it

Was a nasty bastard challenge

[QUOTE=".
In my opinon, this incident lit the fuse of the bad blood from Dolly towards us, which only got worse as the years progressed.[/QUOTE]

Agree with this . I new a couple of sheep fans in 1970,s and they were very much in line with us politically and hated the beasts with a passion

It was proper naughty from Willie, who you could kick in a match but if you took a liberty too far then Bud could be... well proper naughty.
I am sure Bud looks back on this particular incident with some regret.

Ref looks like McGinlay to me. Might be wrong but wouldnt surprise me as that would become his MO ( having said that he may have been correct on this occasion...)

[QUOTE=".
In my opinon, this incident lit the fuse of the bad blood from Dolly towards us, which only got worse as the years progressed.

Agree with this . I new a couple of sheep fans in 1970,s and they were very much in line with us politically and hated the beasts with a passion
[/QUOTE]

Yes, pre Fergie there was a good relationship with them, well at least up until the mid 70’s.

Club & fans.

Dinnae make them like Bud anymore. Alway thought McMaster was one of Fergies unsung heroes at Aberdoom, especially when he moved him back into defence. Good player.

Aberdeen were a disgrace that night and got away with it as they always seemed to do.

Bud left a foot in and it went wrong. There was a lot worse happened that night that went unpunished but because it was Bud it was the worst thing ever seen on a football. Maybe if had put McMaster out the game for three years he would have got an SFA community coaching role.

Maybe we should sing Willie's name next time we play the sheep, or is that a bit sick and classless that no other clubs fans would contemplate after a 'dirty challenge' by one of their players. :cool:

Remember it well a bit naughty. On the other side of it wee bud got kicked feck out off and got no protection. In today’s game he would be unreal no tackling from the back.

Well before my time but I know John McMaster and his brother very well (neighbours).

Very quiet unassuming guy, that tackle was a shocker. Don't know what he was like as a player but he's a nice guy now.

Remember it well a bit naughty. On the other side of it wee bud got kicked feck out off and got no protection. In today’s game he would be unreal no tackling from the back.

Pish. By this point Bud was just about done and Aberdeen were beating us easily just about every time they played us.John McMaster was a converted winger and was never a dirty player. Bud was lucky he never got the jail. McMaster was lucky he never ended up in hospital a shocking embarrassing but of play from a Rangers player.

Pish. By this point Bud was just about done and Aberdeen were beating us easily just about every time they played us.John McMaster was a converted winger and was never a dirty player. Bud was lucky he never got the jail. McMaster was lucky he never ended up in hospital a shocking embarrassing but of play from a Rangers player.
You sound like someone who never played at any level.

You sound like someone who never played at any level.

Ì played at loads of levels until I was 40. I never felt the need to stamp on anyone's neck.

You sound like a wee gay fanny that never kicked a ball in his life. It was a disgraceful bit of play well documented by the gub in FF fanzine

Ì played at loads of levels until I was 40. I never felt the need to stamp on anyone's neck.

You sound like a wee gay fanny that never kicked a ball in his life. It was a disgraceful bit of play well documented by the gub in FF fanzine
In
Go and watch the footage again.

I was there midweek match. Aberdeen were kicking everything that moved that night they won the title that season and were a really good team.

I think John McMaster is one of The People, lived in Erskine.

Was at both games. Was in the West enclosure when bud got sent off. Bit of bother up there after the game

I was there midweek match. Aberdeen were kicking everything that moved that night they won the title that season and were a really good team.

I think John McMaster is one of The People, lived in Erskine.

Aberdeen dis not need to kick us. They were miles ahead of us.

Back